No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet  (Read 24869 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:16 AM »

Joe Biden is from Delaware! It wanted to join the Confederacy, but Maryland was in the way.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »

but the glee in this thread is seriously misplaced and/or potentially dangerous.

On behalf of the commonwealth of Massachusetts, "cry me a river."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »

but the glee in this thread is seriously misplaced and/or potentially dangerous.

On behalf of the commonwealth of Massachusetts, "cry me a river."

Ah, but you miss the point in the most ironic way possible.

There's only a point if you think that this is a real issue or a deliberate choice by Obama. I'm not taking this too seriously, nor do I expect there won't eventually be a southerner in the inner circle before we're done, but in any case... considering any emotion expressed in an Internet forum "potentially dangerous" on a macropolitical scale is to miss the point rather vividly.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2008, 07:50:25 PM by brittain33 »

I don't think so. If the attitudes expressed here are even slightly reflective of wider attitudes in the real world, then, yes, they are "potentially dangerous". And in exactly the same way that all that "real America" nonsense was.

Speaking as a lifelong resident of the north, in my experience, most of the North doesn't care about the South. That's how it's been for over a century. The regional divide is much more keenly felt and resented in the South than it is anywhere else in the country.

Hard core Democrats and political junkies are an exception to the rule, and there is some superficial prejudice (as there is with all sides), but you almost never achieve the same level of resentment and anger that some southerners have held toward the north across the whole period of American history. (I'm giving up worrying about my capitalization here.)

One simple reason is that most northerners aren't descended from Civil War soldiers and don't identify with that history at all; similarly, the Civil War left few scars in this part of the country. The other part is, given the imbalance of wealth between the two regions, we know historically how those imbalances are perceived differently and lead to a gap in resentment.

Anyway, as you well know, the South as it exists in reality is different from "the South" as commonly stereotyped, lionized, or attacked, because the "real" South includes huge pockets of loyal Democratic voters, including African-Americans. James Clyburn is from the South. I'm not really worried that the Democratic Party is going to forget this or shut out its power brokers from Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, or Houston because some young political junkies or college students vent some steam on the Internet about the dominating political class in most of the South which voted uniformly for Bush in 2000 and 2004.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »

And getting worse by the hour.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies