Are new hampshire and Maine libertarian? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 10:47:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are new hampshire and Maine libertarian? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are new hampshire and Maine libertarian?  (Read 5890 times)
DariusNJ

« on: July 10, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »

I heard that both states are fiscal conservative and social liberal or moderate ...

I think that description fits New Hampshire pretty well. I'm not sure about Maine, although I do know that Maine has a high number of independents (38%).
DariusNJ

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »

Actually the above posters are right that suburban whites fleeing Massachusetts helped push the state to the Right in the 80's and 90's. While the orther Northern New England States like Vermont and Maine were left relatively unchanged and have since moved much farther to the left then New Hampshire if anything New Hampshire moved in the opposite direction, towards the GOP. The continued trends among Native New Hampshire residents, migrants from other states, and Canada have since 2000 moved the State to the left.

Neither are libertarian. Maine is a socially Liberal, economically moderate to populist state. New Hampshire is a fiscally conservative(but decreasingly so) socially moderate state. If the GOP in Northern New England could somehow seperate itself from the National GOP they could indeed restore some modicum of success in Maine, New Hampshire, and even in Vermont.

The Republican Party in Maine seems pretty strong. They have 2 Republican senators (albeit very moderate ones).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies