Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 161026 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

New Gravis poll out soon.

I think this is winnable now for Jones.

Gravis actually didn't do bad in Virginia.

But it's still Gravis though.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1426 on: November 11, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »

I think that Alabama would elect a socially conservative, economically populist Democrat.  Tax those latte-sipping elites in Manhattan and Hollywood to death, redistribute the money back to my family so my kids can get better health care.

There needs to be a Democratic wing that appeals to Southern whites - you can reframe it all.  I would advise all Democratic candidates in the South to really run faith-based campaigns and talk about issues within an evangelical framework.  For example, Creation Care for environmental protection.

It's a very hard sell, but there were Democrats in the olden days in the South that were not completely bought by special interests.  They were more populist and pro-consumer, pro-worker.  They were able to win and hold onto seats but they were traditionalists.  A lot of them were also segregationists.

Sometimes a party needs to give up some things to get a little of what it wants.  An Alabama Democratic senator will have to vote against abortion all of the time and even be very vocal about being pro-life.  There are cultural positions to take- for example, supporting Christian symbols on public property.  I don't see why there should be any fuss about having Biblical passages or the Ten Commandments in a state house or a courthouse.  Just let it go.

Make the fuss when there's a tax bill that's deliberately written for the wealthy.  Very few people in rural Alabama are represented by that bill.  It's a bill that will help Beverly Hills and the Upper East Side, not Alabama.

Assuming Jones wins, I think it's very unlikely he'll be reelected as long as his opponent is a generic Republican and not someone like Moore. Jones is very pro-choice by the way.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1427 on: November 11, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »

I think that Alabama would elect a socially conservative, economically populist Democrat.  Tax those latte-sipping elites in Manhattan and Hollywood to death, redistribute the money back to my family so my kids can get better health care.

There needs to be a Democratic wing that appeals to Southern whites - you can reframe it all.  I would advise all Democratic candidates in the South to really run faith-based campaigns and talk about issues within an evangelical framework.  For example, Creation Care for environmental protection.

It's a very hard sell, but there were Democrats in the olden days in the South that were not completely bought by special interests.  They were more populist and pro-consumer, pro-worker.  They were able to win and hold onto seats but they were traditionalists.  A lot of them were also segregationists.

Sometimes a party needs to give up some things to get a little of what it wants.  An Alabama Democratic senator will have to vote against abortion all of the time and even be very vocal about being pro-life.  There are cultural positions to take- for example, supporting Christian symbols on public property.  I don't see why there should be any fuss about having Biblical passages or the Ten Commandments in a state house or a courthouse.  Just let it go.

Make the fuss when there's a tax bill that's deliberately written for the wealthy.  Very few people in rural Alabama are represented by that bill.  It's a bill that will help Beverly Hills and the Upper East Side, not Alabama.

Assuming Jones wins, I think it's very unlikely he'll be reelected as long as his opponent is a generic Republican and not someone like Moore. Jones is very pro-choice by the way.

Probably, even if 2020 is a big Democratic year that takes Trump down, but Alabama Republicans can sh**t the bed again by having a nasty primary and endorsing the worst candidate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1428 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »

Good luck running that sort of candidate ina state where 90% of local Dems are black and vote in primaries. There already is an Alabama Democratic Party and they aren't eager to be thrown under the bus (nor should they be).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1429 on: November 11, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »

Good luck running that sort of candidate ina state where 90% of local Dems are black and vote in primaries. There already is an Alabama Democratic Party and they aren't eager to be thrown under the bus (nor should they be).

Is there really? In 2014 Sessions ran unopposed, and for governor they nominated a former Republican right wing Conservadem.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1430 on: November 11, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2017, 12:48:55 PM by smoltchanov »

[sarcasm]The only problem is, that a candidates they (these 90% of local Dems) like, absolutely can't win general election outside of specially created VRA-protected districts. Other then that you are 100% correct[/sarcasm]
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1431 on: November 11, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »

But as to changing the ballot at this late time, you Democrats did it in New Jersey in 2002.  What is good for Democrats is not ok for Republicans I guess.

I have less of a problem with this if the state explicitly has a procedure for a case where a candidate becomes grossly unacceptable. What is happening now is basically Republicans trying to change the rules right before an election.

1. Doug Jones - This guy has run a fine campaign, so because Republicans chose a monster who had a plethora of issues even before this latest one, Jones has to somehow find the money to wage a 2nd campaign against Republicans' new candidate? How the hell is that fair?

2. Afaik, Torricelli dropped out. Moore is not dropping out, at least so far. And I saw a brief comment on this on ELB, there was apparently some basic legal foundation for replacing the person on the ballot. But either way, the election was not postponed. Why should Alabama get to do that? If you want him out so bad, get him to drop out so state officials can replace his name on the ballot. I still think it's bs because AL state  law doesn't allow that, but its a lot better than moving the election back.

3. Politicians have scandals all the time during campaigns. We don't move elections for them. Why is this special - because it's such a huge one involving something so sensitive? Where do we do draw the line? What if in the future, another Republican has a much less serious scandal and the party wants to move the election for them to make sure they win with another candidate? Surely you can see why this is not a good thing.

The way I see it, Moore was a crappy person before the primary and he's way more crappy now. You guys are stuck with him. It's not our fault Alabama chose a sick person like him, and you shouldn't be allowed to just cancel elections when your candidate gets a huge scandal. I don't get why some Republicans are thinking the rules are different this time.

And it's not like there is not any recourse within the rules - Republicans can do a write-in campaign. It's been done successfully for a current Senator, so instead of changing the rules and literally moving the goalposts a month before the election, your party should get working on that.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1432 on: November 11, 2017, 12:58:28 PM »

Aside from the segregationist bit, which no Democrat regardless if they are a San Fran liberal or Alabama blue dog would openly be in 2017, there is no reason black Alabama voters wouldn't vote for the described candidate. Black Southerners are conservative, pro-life, and against same-sex marriage. And considering most of the black population in the state live in impoverished, rural areas I can see the economic populism resonating with them.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1433 on: November 11, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »

Ivey spox says she won't move the date.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1434 on: November 11, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »

That's a good girl!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1435 on: November 11, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

Good for her.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1436 on: November 11, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

I had a feeling she wouldn't. Her moving the date originally from 2018 to 2017 suggested to me that she wouldn't stand for the Bentley-era corruption/shifty deals. This once again confirms it.

The Rep move from now appears to be letting Moore win, and then instantly expelling him form the senate, triggering another special election in 2018.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1437 on: November 11, 2017, 01:30:21 PM »

Well that certainly wasn't a creepy post.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1438 on: November 11, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1439 on: November 11, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »

OK, take a look at today's front page of the Florence (AL) Times Daily: http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/?tfp_display=gallery&tfp_region=USA&tfp_sort_by=state&tfp_id=AL_TD
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1440 on: November 11, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »

Other move is to pull the party endorsement, but there seems even less consideration for that idea.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1441 on: November 11, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »

Ivey has been a no-nonsense Governor. Probably the best we could get with an R in Alabama .
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1442 on: November 11, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »

"Party divided over sex clams"
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1443 on: November 11, 2017, 01:47:26 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2017, 02:18:08 PM by smoltchanov »

Aside from the segregationist bit, which no Democrat regardless if they are a San Fran liberal or Alabama blue dog would openly be in 2017, there is no reason black Alabama voters wouldn't vote for the described candidate. Black Southerners are conservative, pro-life, and against same-sex marriage. And considering most of the black population in the state live in impoverished, rural areas I can see the economic populism resonating with them.

First of all - fully agree. But i would add  (as usual) - let voters of each district decide! Of course - in many Black-majority districts even liberal candidates (though i agree with you that many Southern Blacks are substantially more conservative then Northern counterparts, and, may be - even then many white "national Democrats" from the North, on social issues) will have very good chances for election. Quite good! Their districts are ready to support such candidates, and no one is against. But there are enough districs of other type - non-mjority-minority, frequently - populist on economy, but very socially conservative. Why run "progressives" THERE?Huh Of course, NOW, after dilligent "DINO-hunting" of more conservative Democrats by "activists" (which is very similar to "RINO-hunting" on Republican part), initially you will not find many willing candidates, and most of them would invariably lose. Most, but not all. It will take time (years, may be - decades) to regain trust of people from more conservative areas and convince them then elected Democrat may be reasonable, useful, and even "one of them" on many issues. But it's possible, and, most important, useful for Democrats itself, as these "few" conservative Democrats will still be substantially more reasonable then the ONLY alternative - ultra-right Republican "wingers".  It's so simple...
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1444 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »

I don't get what's going on here.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1445 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Not to mention the poll on the side asking if Moore should "redraw" from the race...

...and the headline about the guy who had cocaine fall out of his hat while in court on a drug charge.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1446 on: November 11, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

Not to mention the poll on the side asking if Moore should "redraw" from the race...

...and the headline about the guy who had cocaine fall out of his hat while in court on a drug charge.

It's peak Alabama.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1447 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/marquardta/status/929429310510911490

@Greedo: this enough proof?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1448 on: November 11, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1449 on: November 11, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »

Does Alabama have the death sentence for pedophiles or serial rapists? Or does that only apply to black people?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies