Opinion of fat liberation/fat acceptance movement? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:34:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of fat liberation/fat acceptance movement? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your view of this potentially new frontier in civil rights/activism?
Support

Oppose

neutral

don't know enough about

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of fat liberation/fat acceptance movement?  (Read 556 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »

I oppose it. Both bullying fat people and pretending that there aren't massive problems with obesity are counter productive responses. I think we have to tackle the issue of obesity not through shaming but providing more incentives for people to eat more healthily such as subsidising healthy food because as has been mentioned, there is a massive class issue here where healthy food is unaffordable.

Another issue I have is the whole idea of an "acceptance" movement as a whole. Focusing on what society thinks of fat people and trying to change it thus trying to change it is unpractical and less effective. People are always going to aim for a certain body standard, fat people will almost always be considered by most people as less attractive and bullying will always continue even if societal attitudes improve. The emphasis should be on building self-confidence among fat people and make them more resistant to the bullying as well as helping them find ways to lose weight.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies