Finnish parliamentary election – 14 April 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Finnish parliamentary election – 14 April 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Finnish parliamentary election – 14 April 2019  (Read 19230 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 16, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »
« edited: January 16, 2019, 10:59:17 AM by tack50 »

Seems like Finland might see a social democratic victory and government? That's certainly something rare in Europe these days Cheesy

Who would prop up an SDP government?

SDP-Centre-Green League?

Also seems like a "left+regionalists" government might be possible, according to polls SDP+Green League+Left Alliance+Swedish People's Party is at 48% so it might just barely be possible if someone falls below the threshold or if polls fail on that direction.

In any case, it seems Finland might be a rare bright spot for the European left.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

The Centre Party's Swedish-speaking organisation is telling their members to skip the election, arguing that the Centre Party under Sipilä has become a party of "neoliberal hard right-wing politics". There aren't that many Swedish-speakers in the Centre Party, but it's still pretty embarassing for them.

Why not endorse the Swedish People's Party at that point? Or outright secede and merge with them?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »

The results of the "youth election", a shadow election where school students vote for the same candidates as in the real election, have been published:

Green League 17.1%
National Coalition Party 14.5%
Finns Party 14.5%
Centre Party 11.7%
Social Democratic Party 8.1%
Left Alliance 5.8%
Christian Democrats 4.1%
Blue Reform 3.5%
Swedish People's Party 3.3%
Seven Star Movement 2.7%
Pirate Party 2.7%
Communist Party 2.4%
Movement Now 2.2%
Animal Justice Party 1.1%

Huh, didn't expect students to be more pro PS than the general Finnish population. Even if it is within the margin of error, that's still higher than expected (I'd have expected PS to be below 10% with students).

Similarly the Left Alliance seems unexpectedly low (though I imagine much of their vote is being stolen by those parties getting 1-2% of the vote).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »

Apparently I'd be a Swedish speaker minority supporter in Finland lol. Also suprisingly right wing results for myself, where I usually get generic social democrats. I did not expect KOK beating SDP! (even if the difference is tiny). Same for PS above the Greens and the Left Alliance!

My results posting only the parties in colour (which I imagine are the important ones):

RKP: 72%
Liik: 72%
Pirattipuolue: 71%
KOK: 71%
SDP: 70%
Lib: 70%
KESK: 68%
SIN: 68%
KTP: 67%
PS: 67%
KD: 65%
VIHR: 64%