The thread in which we squabble about activity, past insults, and misc. things
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:21:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The thread in which we squabble about activity, past insults, and misc. things
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The thread in which we squabble about activity, past insults, and misc. things  (Read 506 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

Too respect Scott's wishes, unlike some people, I would like to move the arguments from his thread to this one.  Previously, the initially dig was made:

It is strange that both Clarence's and Oakvale's running mates did not show up to vote in the regional elections. Shout out to Clarence and Tweed for doing their part.

The parties in question responded:

It is strange that both Clarence's and Oakvale's running mates did not show up to vote in the regional elections. Shout out to Clarence and Tweed for doing their part.

I have been out of town since June 8.  These last few days I was visiting my grandfather in Daytona, who just had his appendix removed.  What have you been doing with your life, Napoleon?

I was out of town myself. No need to be rude.

Forgive me for forgetting to vote.  Unfortunately, I was actually preoccupied with a family emergency Sunday when I wanted to vote, so you know..such things do tend to slip the mind.  I mean, I understand how you can look down on said "running mate", I've of course never done anything for the region, and obviously I can't even vote.

Are you this sad in real life, or do you enjoy the persona you've created here?  I used to at least have some respect for you, and actually defended you within the RPP.  Get back to me when you're ready to get over yourself dear Smiley 

Napoleon backed off his original statement but then dredged up a past argument with Cincinnatus.  Clarence put him down, and then Napoleon came back, the response being reproduced in full.

I said I found it strange. How the hell is that an insult? Don't you find it strange when active players don't vote? There are plenty of words to choose from to make an insult, strange/odd/abnormal aren't insults. You act as if I dismissed the idea that they could have good reasons for not voting, something I never said or when implied, and in fact argued was entirely possible when I gave my thoughts on Homely's bill. I found it strange that the President didn't vote in April, but it turned out he was sick...sh**t happens but you act as if I should find it normal not to vote.

The point I am trying to make is that I am a victim of Attitude Polarization. I even show you a quote from Cincinnatus that he interprets as an insult, and a quote from himself directed at me, which I do not interpret as an insult. Though I guess if he finds the phrase insulting, he may have been using it that way but I still am not going to throw a hissy fit about it.

Clarence, you of all people, should mind your own business. You've made enough insulting remarks of your own, some of them so egregious that they received moderator action, such as when you attacked Alfred Jones. Pick on someone your own age, why don't you? People are attacking my Italian origin but oh my, how dare Napoleon find it strange that people don't vote!!! And we wonder why the game is where it is..... Roll Eyes

There is a lot that could be said of this, but it's late and all I want to do is confine the vitriol to its own thread.  Good Night Atlasia.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »

Yelnoc- thank you for respecting Scott's wishes and moving this to a new post...

Napoleon- I'll first say that for some one complaining about another person being sensitive to insults- you sure are riled up about my simply explaining to you how something could be perceived that way. The reality is- I was never penalized for any interaction with Alfred Jones... I am not sure why you believe that. I get riled up pal because I've had a long and difficult life, and when I get a lecture from folks a third my age who believe they have all the answers- it grinds my gears a bit as it would anybody... even still, I challenge you to find many folks who've come out of a debate with me with less mutual respect then we've had before. I know every person on here with whom I've disagreed- I've learned why they feel a certain way and I've come off with a respect for them and their views

As for finding some one my own age- that'd be impossible around these parts old sport ;-)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »

Thank you, Yelnoc.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »

Yelnoc- thank you for respecting Scott's wishes and moving this to a new post...

Napoleon- I'll first say that for some one complaining about another person being sensitive to insults- you sure are riled up about my simply explaining to you how something could be perceived that way. The reality is- I was never penalized for any interaction with Alfred Jones... I am not sure why you believe that. I get riled up pal because I've had a long and difficult life, and when I get a lecture from folks a third my age who believe they have all the answers- it grinds my gears a bit as it would anybody... even still, I challenge you to find many folks who've come out of a debate with me with less mutual respect then we've had before. I know every person on here with whom I've disagreed- I've learned why they feel a certain way and I've come off with a respect for them and their views

As for finding some one my own age- that'd be impossible around these parts old sport ;-)

There you go again. You did not "simply explain" how my comment could be perceived as an insult. All you did was say that I meant it as an insult, which is false. Even Yelnoc presents this in a biased fashion, terming my simple statement "the initial dig" and terming the ACTUAL insults thrown at me by him and Cincinnatus "responses", not digs not insults. The fact of the matter is, my post was not offensive and if someone found it offensive it was because they wanted to, as I have even demonstrated with proof.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

Now, Senator Clarence, I present to you how someone explains how one can find remarks insulting properly, and your response to the explanation.

I'm not sure what's with the ad hominem attacks. Vouchers are a morally and ethnically repugnant idea. I'd be just as unwilling to listen if someone suggested going back to the days when homosexuality was a crime. I am however TRYING to be respectful in saying that I will oppose this and end the discussion at that. I will no longer debate this issue, and have had my say. I will return when it's time to vote.

Ad hominen attacks? Racist/discrimination...that's an ad hominem attack you used that I take great issue with. Asserting I lack morals or ethics for putting forward this idea...you need to go to bed

The words "kid", "son", and "douchebag" aren't typically endearing and could even be considered unparliamentary. Since you're new and Teddy is unfamiliar, I hope that clarence can keep this in mind for future debates and Teddy can not hold a grudge, which he is more than capable of doing.

Hope I helped,
Senator Napoleon

You didn't help Napoleon- youll find folks my age are a bit more sensitive to being accused of racism or discrimination and when a debate starts off like that I get a bit angry...only time I have gotten truly angry from something I have raed on this board

You certainly have the right to act like you've taken the high road.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »

And I stand by that- and as I posted later on after that- Teddy and I communicated privately and we left that debate iwth more respect for each other then we had before hand.

Here is that post which is right below mine in there- "Teddy reached out and we exchanged messages....any personal issue has been put to bed. Sorry for getting cranky at you Napoleon"

And here is your very kind reply to that- "Good to hear

I've had my fair share of heated debates and misunderstandings."

And you were right to post that! However- I do get a bit rowdy if some one calls me a racist and that is one of those things, but this is proof that no matter how heated the debate- I leave it on good terms as Teddy and I were after that until he left the board...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »

The difference is, you were the one doing the attacking. I said it is strange they didn't vote. If they want to come forth and say it is normal for them not to vote, then I am wrong. I was insulted by both Yelnoc and Cincinnatus for saying it was strange they didn't vote. What the? Even still, I haven't insulted either of them.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »

The difference is, you were the one doing the attacking. I said it is strange they didn't vote. If they want to come forth and say it is normal for them not to vote, then I am wrong. I was insulted by both Yelnoc and Cincinnatus for saying it was strange they didn't vote. What the? Even still, I haven't insulted either of them.
Place yourselves in their shoes- let's use Yelnoc as an example. He was away at a very prestigious leadership program (run by an organization of which I"m a member coincidentally) and then visited his grandfather who had a serious operation... and he comes back to see you fixing to exploit his absence for political gain....can you see how this would rub him the wrong way? I am not saying you intended to insult or offend- but I am surprised how you can' tsee how it could be seen as insulting or offensive

If I'm not articulating well- excuse me... my point is sometimes lost on the web
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2012, 10:24:24 PM by Governor Napoleon »

Place yourselves in their shoes- let's use Yelnoc as an example. He was away at a very prestigious leadership program (run by an organization of which I"m a member coincidentally) and then visited his grandfather who had a serious operation... and he comes back to see you fixing to exploit his absence for political gain....can you see how this would rub him the wrong way? I am not saying you intended to insult or offend- but I am surprised how you can' tsee how it could be seen as insulting or offensive

If I'm not articulating well- excuse me... my point is sometimes lost on the web

So that gives him a free pass to insult me? That isn't a very mature way to go about things in my opinion. As if someone would, you know, not vote for a ticket because of missing one election, it makes perfect sense that I stand to benefit politically by pointing out something as being strange. Not.

It is sad that the campaign has come down to this. Sad But, we are making progress!

Napoleon- because the way you pointed it out was meant to insult...
I am not saying you intended to insult or offend
Sort of...
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »

This idea will backfire.

-disappears into the shadows-
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 01:41:25 AM »

I'm trying to think of something witty to post... being the loser of that election and all. Tongue
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:14:10 AM »

So that gives him a free pass to insult me? That isn't a very mature way to go about things in my opinion. As if someone would, you know, not vote for a ticket because of missing one election, it makes perfect sense that I stand to benefit politically by pointing out something as being strange. Not.

It is sad that the campaign has come down to this. Sad But, we are making progress!

Napoleon- because the way you pointed it out was meant to insult...
I am not saying you intended to insult or offend
Sort of...

Napoleon- I don't see where Yelnoc insulted you and I don't see why I've again gone to the mat with you about this pettiness...

I'm done with this little talk and would prefer to discuss real issues rather then your victim complex over in the Presidential debate. Nix has asked a great question that I've responded to and I encourage those who are looking to distinguish between the candidates to take a look at that thread...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

I'm sorry, but this seems pretty stupid to me so I'm going to lock this thread. If you have a misunderstanding it might be better to deal with it via PM.

And if you find posts insulting or whatever there is always the option of reporting them.

Although in this case it seems like if you were all grown-up human beings you'd just apologize and leave it be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies