surprise nominees for 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:06:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  surprise nominees for 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: surprise nominees for 2008?  (Read 9009 times)
Snowe08
Rookie

« on: February 16, 2005, 08:44:38 AM »

Maybe Sens. Dorgan, Durbin or Landrieu for the Dems,

For the Reps, Govs. Fletcher or Barbour could emerge if Sanford doesn't run, or Sen. Thune, although he would only have been in the Senate for 4 years (+6 years of house expereince)
If the Democrats nominated Byron Dorgan, that would make my life really, really difficult if the GOP nominates a candidate I'm less than enamoured with. Dorgan seems to have his head screwed on right on several important issues, and recently made a superb speech ripping unfettered free trade to shreds - the first time I've seen any Senator do so on the Floor. I'm sure that if I looked more closely at his record, I'd find things that are objectionable - but at first impressions, he seems like a good candidate for the other party. But, as Thomas Reed said, "they could do a lot worse, and I suspect that they will".

There was a suggestion made on another board that Gov. Napolitano (Ariz.) would, or should, run for the Dems; on the GOP side, I think that the surprises will be in terms of who doesn't run, as the presumption at this point should surely be that everyone is going to run. This may be a blandly obvious statement, but I think that the more people that run in the '08 GOP primary, the less predictable it will become, as the votes will split between many candidates. This means that the recently commonsense law of primary physics - that a moderate can't win - may be suspended.
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 08:50:02 AM »

You've got to be kidding. Every time I've seen Hoyer get to his feet in the House, he comes across as a petulant child. Maybe I just need to pay closer attention. It's an excuse to watch more CSPAN, I guess. Wink

If she either bails on, or loses, the Tex. gubernatorial contest, I'd say it's a good possibility - and for that matter, if Perry loses that race, count him as a potential hat in the ring too, perhaps?

She's assiduously worked her way up in the Senate, she's a good speaker and I agree with her on a lot of issues, so I'd love to see Dole '08 in the primary, and I think that there's a good chance that it could happen. As I said above - I think that everyone is going to take a shot at it, or at least, put out feelers over the next three years to run themselves up the flagpole and see who salutes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies