Censorship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:19:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Censorship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Censorship  (Read 8096 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: July 25, 2004, 02:52:20 PM »

The only speech that should be censored is Sedition.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 03:06:40 PM »

I say if something on television or radio offends you, change the channel. Companies will self-censor if they believe it profitable to do so - driving down ratings through boycott, written and organized protest, ect. will keep companies in line. I'm fine with the FCC enforcing a ratings system, so you know if what you are about to watch is offensive or not, but they have no right to tell you that you can't broadcast something. About the only thing that should be censored is stuff relating to national security(battle strategies, secret military technology, stuff like that).

The FCC owns the airwaves. Broadcast stations are leasing the airwaves from the government. The government has the right to control content in that respect.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »

Dibble,

You are partiall right. In my view the FCC is the landlord and the network is the renter. If the Landlord says "no dogs allowed" and the renter violates that rule the Landlord has every right to fine or expel the renter. IMHO.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:10:39 PM »

Its dismaying that so many people voted for the oppressive censorship of 'hate speech'!  What a ridiculous concept - the individual no longer has the right to hate people.

My problem with banning hate speech is everyone has a different definition of what hate is. I consider a lot of what the NAACP says as hate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 07:26:10 PM »

I say if something on television or radio offends you, change the channel. Companies will self-censor if they believe it profitable to do so - driving down ratings through boycott, written and organized protest, ect. will keep companies in line. I'm fine with the FCC enforcing a ratings system, so you know if what you are about to watch is offensive or not, but they have no right to tell you that you can't broadcast something. About the only thing that should be censored is stuff relating to national security(battle strategies, secret military technology, stuff like that).

The FCC owns the airwaves. Broadcast stations are leasing the airwaves from the government. The government has the right to control content in that respect.

The FCC does not own the airwaves.

We the people do.

If you don't want to watch/listen.. change the channel.

No, the government owns the airwaves. They are leased out to broadcast stations.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:26:41 PM »

#3.

Little kids shouldn't be exposed to anal sex, and nobody should be exposed to hate speech.

Hate speech is to broad of a term to expect to ban it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:28:57 PM »

Remember when people bitched about wanting a V-chip and when it was finally released nobody used it?

I think my TV has one but I never use it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 01:55:11 AM »

Option 8. No speech should be censored at all other than something that can be proven to be an outright lie.

Can we censor Michael Moore then?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies