Why is Obama coming to PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:05:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Why is Obama coming to PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Obama coming to PA  (Read 12258 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »

Obama's defending Pennsylvania because it's McCain's number one target.  If McCain is going all-out to attempt to get every single possible undecided voters available in PA, Obama has to do SOME work to keep them. 

Pennsylvania isn't "safe Obama" obviously.  Otherwise Hillary, Biden, Palin and Obama wouldn't all be there right now.  But McCain is getting killed lately.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:43:42 AM »

Here's another thought as to why Obama would be in PA: to give an energy boost to his local operation, which may be solid, but is probably less enthusiastic relative to his other states.  Let's not assume that McCain's is THAT much better either Smiley  ...which might be why Palin is visiting!

A candidate's visit only does so much.  Think about it: it mostly just generates local news headlines, gives some excitement to the base, and shows that the candidate cares about people like the ones in his audience. 

Where to visit is just part of a risk/benefit analysis.  What can the candidate gain by visiting times what are the odds that this will materialize.  Pennsylvania, given its size and large population of Obama's "target demographic that he wants to appeal to" will be visited many more times than a much smaller state of the same political leaning (let's say O+6-7% like New Mexico).   

McCain wants to be viewed as competitive throughout the Midwest. 

Let me advance a new theory to contrast with the prevailing theme of the forum and pundits:  A candidate does not want to appear desperate.  McCain needs to keep the TV analysts listing Wisconsin and Iowa as competitive as much as possible for his own image of competitiveness.

Given that a candidate's visit doesn't really mean anything, if the local news shows McCain being applauded by a bunch of Iowans or Wsiconsinacs, that's not necessarily a bad image for Ohio or Pennsylvania.  If it was obvious McCain was putting all of his eggs into the basket of winning Ohio, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, *AND* Virginia, he would be ridiculed by the media that doesn't really have any depth of understanding.  I was initially extremely critical about McCain's repeated events in Iowa, but held back on posting here too much, speculatin' a bit but not justifying it, and now it's just hit me why he's doing it.  He wants to appear mildly offensive in front of a bunch of rural white people, not on the defensive in states that he desperately needs to win like Ohio and Florida.  Trust me, he'll visit both plenty of times before the election, but he's still fundraising for the RNC and needs to keep his enthusiasm up!

I'm almost ready to say that visiting Iowa and Wisconsin is a good move for the McCain campaign, although measured in millimeters and not yards.  Visiting Oregon would be ridiculed.  Top-level visits is a traditional indicator of campaign investment in a state: where you see the top surrogates is where internal polling shows the most interest. but the McCain campaign is an untraditional campaign at the macro level.

Palin needs to spend two or three consecutive days in Colorado Springs ASAP though.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »

Here's another thought as to why Obama would be in PA: to give an energy boost to his local operation, which may be solid, but is probably less enthusiastic relative to his other states.  Let's not assume that McCain's is THAT much better either Smiley  ...which might be why Palin is visiting!

A candidate's visit only does so much.  Think about it: it mostly just generates local news headlines, gives some excitement to the base, and shows that the candidate cares about people like the ones in his audience. 

Where to visit is just part of a risk/benefit analysis.  What can the candidate gain by visiting times what are the odds that this will materialize.  Pennsylvania, given its size and large population of Obama's "target demographic that he wants to appeal to" will be visited many more times than a much smaller state of the same political leaning (let's say O+6-7% like New Mexico).   

McCain wants to be viewed as competitive throughout the Midwest. 

Let me advance a new theory to contrast with the prevailing theme of the forum and pundits:  A candidate does not want to appear desperate.  McCain needs to keep the TV analysts listing Wisconsin and Iowa as competitive as much as possible for his own image of competitiveness.

Given that a candidate's visit doesn't really mean anything, if the local news shows McCain being applauded by a bunch of Iowans or Wsiconsinacs, that's not necessarily a bad image for Ohio or Pennsylvania.  If it was obvious McCain was putting all of his eggs into the basket of winning Ohio, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, *AND* Virginia, he would be ridiculed by the media that doesn't really have any depth of understanding.  I was initially extremely critical about McCain's repeated events in Iowa, but held back on posting here too much, speculatin' a bit but not justifying it, and now it's just hit me why he's doing it.  He wants to appear mildly offensive in front of a bunch of rural white people, not on the defensive in states that he desperately needs to win like Ohio and Florida.  Trust me, he'll visit both plenty of times before the election, but he's still fundraising for the RNC and needs to keep his enthusiasm up!

I'm almost ready to say that visiting Iowa and Wisconsin is a good move for the McCain campaign, although measured in millimeters and not yards.  Visiting Oregon would be ridiculed.  Top-level visits is a traditional indicator of campaign investment in a state: where you see the top surrogates is where internal polling shows the most interest. but the McCain campaign is an untraditional campaign at the macro level.

Palin needs to spend two or three consecutive days in Colorado Springs ASAP though.

Might I also add that McCain's campaign has always been of the theory that A rising tide raises all boats while Obama's campaign has been of the theory that intense focus can yield individualistic results among states.

It's not a coincidence that McCain's campaign spends more money relative to Obama on national cable buys.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »

Something tells me that no blow softening will be needed Smiley  And my above post explains both moves outside of "internal polling shows something different"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:18:53 AM »

And Indiana?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:59 AM »

The countdown is in my signature.

I'm waiting Obama!  Fess up your <50 million number!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »

BIDEN IS GOING TO HOLD A RALLY IN WASHINGTON STATE

IN PLAY??
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

Well, the fundraising has been explained to you.  If you believe that people give more money when they find out their money will only bit a tiny drop in a 150 million dollar bucket, then not much I can do.

On why Obama is in Philly, it's because he's trying to boost AA turnout.  The less the "swing voters" see of Obama, the better he'll do, as they'll think of a generic Democrat and not Mr. Hussein in the voting booth.  Which is why the Clintons and Biden are the messengers in the swingy parts of the state.

You're right that PA will be closer than the current polls indicate , and it's important to note that PA has a lot of swing voters - meaning any swings in national numbers might be reflected more strongly in PA (5% McCain comeback might be worth 8-9% in PA).  This is why Obama is campaigning there.  It's a competitive state that he needs and McCain's campaign is pouring their entire campaign into trying to flip it!  Any conspiracy theories about Obama having figured out how to poll the Bradley Effect is just silly.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »

already announce 150 million, DNC got 50 million.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »

You didn't refute #1.  Obama has not spent more by traveling to the state than he has earned by visiting it.

But, as McCain has been forced to learn in NE-2, Indiana, Florida and North Carolina, if your opponent is going gung-ho after a state, you can't ignore it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies