Should presidential powers be stripped away during impeachment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should presidential powers be stripped away during impeachment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See below.
Yes, they should

No, they shouldn't

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should presidential powers be stripped away during impeachment?  (Read 8820 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: June 25, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »

This is not about a potential Trump impeachment, more of a general debate. If the House votes to impeach the prez, should his powers be transferred to the VP (as acting prez) under the 25th amendment while the process is ongoing? Until the senate moves forward and either votes to impeach, thus making the VP a full prez, or acquittal? In the latter case, the officeholder regains powers and duties of the presidency.

I think this is a fine idea, preventing a prez from executive action influencing the impeachment process. The VP in acting capacity ensures a smooth ongoing of govt affairs.

Opinions and objections?

I think you'd need a couple of things to round it out. First, a time limit between the House voting on impeachment and the Senate acting on it. Second, I think making the Vice President the Acting President in this case is problematic, as the VP is likely somebody politically and personally tied to the president. I'd prefer if some kind of caretaker body were appointed for the duration of the impeachment process, perhaps from among governors or something like that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies