Feb. 3rd 2018 BC Liberal leadership race megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:42:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Feb. 3rd 2018 BC Liberal leadership race megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Feb. 3rd 2018 BC Liberal leadership race megathread  (Read 7553 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: July 29, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »

Seeing those council results in Surrey makes me very disappointed that there is no ward system there. Surrey is a very polarized city, and having one party hold every single seat in the city is just awful.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »

Seeing those council results in Surrey makes me very disappointed that there is no ward system there. Surrey is a very polarized city, and having one party hold every single seat in the city is just awful.

How do you get that?
Those results don't break down by area.  I think Surrey First won virtually every poll, though obviously some were closer than others.

I suppose that's possible, but with a ward system, I think Surrey would quickly develop a two party system, instead of being ruled by a mushy centre-right party that holds all of the seats.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »

How do you get that?
Those results don't break down by area.  I think Surrey First won virtually every poll, though obviously some were closer than others.

I suppose that's possible, but with a ward system, I think Surrey would quickly develop a two party system, instead of being ruled by a mushy centre-right party that holds all of the seats.

Although Surrey Mayor Linda Heppner doesn't seem to be doing as badly as she did in her first year or so in office as mayor when I thought she was just hopeless, I would be very surprised if Surrey First won every council seat in 2018.

Well, they could get 51% of the vote and still win all 8 seats because of the at-large voting system, so I'm not holding my breath.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »

A leadership election in Canada that doesn't take three years to complete? What is this insanity?

Well, it is only a provincial party we're talking about.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »

Vancouver is dealing with a huge housing shortage due to foreign ownership, and is pricing out middle and work class residents. How would you deal with the situation?

My take is if you can afford to homes, you can afford to pay the tax. If you can't pay the tax, then maybe you shouldn't be owning two homes. There are thousands of BCians who actually contribute to the local economy by living there that deserve it way more.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »

Vancouver is dealing with a huge housing shortage due to foreign ownership, and is pricing out middle and work class residents.

I feel bad for Torontonians and Vancouverites. Seems nearly impossible to have a middle class lifestyle out there. Perhaps some of them should move out east? Halifax has a comparable unemployment rate, higher median household income and home prices are cheap. My wife and I are buying a starter home next year and our budget is < $200,000.

[/quote]

I suppose the jobs in Halifax aren't as lucrative? It's not really seen as a beacon of employment in its reputation, but it is a wonderful city, and I wouldn't mind living there myself if I had to.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »

Shocked
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies