Cameron - "I support gay marriage because I知 a Conservative." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:28:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Cameron - "I support gay marriage because I知 a Conservative." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cameron - "I support gay marriage because I知 a Conservative."  (Read 1431 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

Quite a striking example of the extent to which they've shifted on this issue; it isn't that long ago that closeted MPs were strong-armed into the division lobbies to vote for homophobic legislation. There's a natural tendency to sneer and to suggest that every bit of it is utterly cynical, but, in fairness, I don't think so.

<partisan hack>Of course the rest of the speech was firmly grounded in 'Always twirling, twirling, twirling towards Freedom' territory.</partisan hack>
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »

I believe gay marriage isn't very controversial anymore with the British population, and certainly not if it were to come from a party of the right.Obviously, if some of our British posters were to have the intention to correct me on that, they certainly should.

Civil partnerships effectively neutralised the issue before it could become a big deal (and the passage of civil partnerships wasn't especially rough either). The main recent political battles regarding homosexuality were a little earlier and were over the age of consent and the ghastly hangover of Section 28, and once those were won, the process of normalisation (for want of a better word) increased quite rapidly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies