Why does God want to be worshiped? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:32:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why does God want to be worshiped? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does God want to be worshiped?  (Read 5811 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: September 03, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »

I don't know whether God exists, but assuming so, why does God want to be worshiped? 

I've spent my fair share of time pondering different aspects of faith and religion, and while I can understand that people can draw the conclusion that God exists, I've never understood why God (a presumably superior being ordained with great power and oft said to be benevolent) would want to be worshiped. What does it matter to God whether or not I, or anyone else, worship him?

I'd be grateful to hear people's thoughts on this.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:15:01 PM »

Thanks for the answers so far, they make very interesting reading...

Love, to be love, must be given.  If that love is not returned, God is not capricious or petulant.  God does not then withhold love. 

For all intents and purposes, God does not want to be worshiped for his own validation, he wants you to worship for your own validation.

If I can follow-up to both of you, why then (if he is not petulent or if worship is for our own validation) would God reward worship and punish those who don't?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »

Many thanks JS for your response. It was very moving to read through your experience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies