How can the GOP be brought back to being a more moderate party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:35:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How can the GOP be brought back to being a more moderate party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can the GOP be brought back to being a more moderate party?  (Read 4702 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: October 11, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »

The question is: can moderate Republicans be able to remain in the Party, or will they be chased away? If they remain Republican, then continued losses would most likely lead to them taking over and kicking out the teabaggers, and re-making it moderate.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2011, 11:52:03 AM by Decidedly not the flavour of the month »

The question is: can moderate Republicans be able to remain in the Party, or will they be chased away? If they remain Republican, then continued losses would most likely lead to them taking over and kicking out the teabaggers, and re-making it moderate.

The corollary was that if the moderates do leave, there is no check on the right, and further losses serve no persuasive purpose. At this point some Progressive Party to the left of the Democratic Party (which at this point is likely as conservative as Lugar, Romney, Collins, et al) emerges, thus throwing the nation back to the left.

Wait, are you saying that there are still "moderate" Republicans outside of the Northeast?

Sure, in well say, a certain part of California. Tongue

Sure! There are other enclaves of moderate Republican activity. It just isn't a national phenomenon.

I am a moderate Republican, in practice.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »

The corollary was that if the moderates do leave, there is no check on the right, and further losses serve no persuasive purpose. At this point some Progressive Party to the left of the Democratic Party (which at this point is likely as conservative as Lugar, Romney, Collins, et al) emerges, thus throwing the nation back to the left.

I am a moderate Republican, in practice.

To me, "moderates" = people like Chafee, Specter, Castle, Scozzafava; I suppose we're using the term differently.

I'd call them Rockefeller Republicans, but I'm as moderate as Jon Huntsman... and I'm not being facetious, I don't think there's another politician whose political views match mine as closely as him (except Fareed Zakaria, but he's not a politician.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »

Besides there were actually real environmental issues in the 70s. At one point a whole damn river was on fire. Today you see this focus on Carbon because they are running out of real pollutants to be worried about.

Ever heard of the "Burning Cuyahoga"?

I love that dirty water!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies