Supreme Court issues split decision on Arizona immigration law (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:22:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court issues split decision on Arizona immigration law (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court issues split decision on Arizona immigration law  (Read 5326 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »

As long as they get rid of the provision forcing people to carry immigration documents with them, I will be happy. That part of the law is ridiculous and makes immigrants targets of criminals who would like to steal their documents to sell it. And then later on it can be challenged for racial profiling, which will inevitably happen. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either extremely naive, or doesn't really care whether it happens.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »

The thing about title 8, section 134, subsection (e) is that in effect it does not force you to carry your green card on you when you go for a jog, like the Arizona law would do.

I am glad that part of the bill got struck down. Even the provision that the police can detain those suspected of being illegal can only be for a limited time as they confirm with the feds on the suspect's immigration status. Now I am hoping for a reasonable decision on the health care bill.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »

The thing about title 8, section 134, subsection (e) is that in effect it does not force you to carry your green card on you when you go for a jog, like the Arizona law would do.

I am glad that part of the bill got struck down. Even the provision that the police can detain those suspected of being illegal can only be for a limited time as they confirm with the feds on the suspect's immigration status. Now I am hoping for a reasonable decision on the health care bill.

Please reread the law I cited.

I seem to have missed the part where you tell me that "does not force you to carry your green card when you go for a jog."  I seem to have missed that exemption you claim.

Please understand how immigration laws are enforced before you reply back to me. Thanks.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »

Verify workers before they are hired. Increase enforcement to ensure proper verification is happening and of course make e verify available to help businesses and employers comply.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

Then catch the drug smugglers as you would regularly ( prostitution shouldn't be a crime) and then deport them. The US already departs criminals at high rates and that should continue. Of course the magnitude of the crime should be taken into account as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies