Why does God want to be worshiped? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:47:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why does God want to be worshiped? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does God want to be worshiped?  (Read 5814 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: September 04, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »
« edited: September 05, 2008, 07:08:46 PM by Torie »

If I were a theist, I would say that what God gave man was the gift of free will. He "wants" nothing other than for  them to exercise it, and watch the spectacle to unfold, for better or worse. In a sense, HE might find the "worship" of him a bit embarrassing.

I guess I don't make a very good "theist" do I? And so it goes. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »

Some affirmatively commit evil, and enjoy it, are self actualized, and are rewarded on this mortal coil. God if he exists, has to be detached, with job one respecting human free will. How could it be otherwise?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2008, 12:40:56 PM by Torie »

Thanks for the post JS. I appreciate it. It seems God is even less efficient than government.  Here he has "allowed" evil to exist since the CroMagnon man, and has not yet got around to putting an end to it, but means to someday. I guess what I am saying is that if I managed to believe God exists, that still leaves the question as to whether God has any intention at all to ever get around to it.

Oh, I might add, that I question whether it is desirable that such a God expiate evil from this earth. That would be depriving us of an essential element of our humanity, yes our humanity. Depriving us of the struggle would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Does that make any sense?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies