SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:48:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Recommendations)  (Read 8045 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: August 27, 2012, 04:15:34 AM »

What do you want from me, heartbreaker!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:25:50 AM »

As the Vice President at that time, I suppose I should explain why those recommendations weren't taken action on by myself personally. Around that time, Purple State and I were discussing what we privately termed our "second wind" brought about after feeling like the middle of our term had begun to stagnate a bit. As part of that, we focused on immediately bringing the Constitutional Convention to a close, delegating more responsibilities to the GM and SoIA (then Afleitch), and I was tasked with coming up with another basic set of economic legislation.

Within a couple days, though, my grandfather suffered a stroke and I immediately had to take some time away for family reasons, and asked some Senate friends and PS to consider putting together a bill or two. By the end of September 2010 I had my own health scare, which ended with September being quite the nerve-rattling month that led to be deciding against running for President, despite everyone assuming I was the next in line for the JCP. Lost in all of that kerfuffle, I had been too personally occupied to write the legislation we had planned and for that I apologize.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »

I definitely think more continuity would be better, it's a bit frustrating for me, especially, when I look at Shua's GM work and just see all of my stories completely and utterly abandoned. Officials who come into office should be bound to, or at least informally expected to, continuing a lot of the previous official's work. Instead of having very defined roles and expectations, every new cabinet official just seems to want to come in and make the position completely different just for them. Which I think is sort of silly.

What I want is a comparative history, insight into behind the scenes discussion and so forth and if stuff didn't work, we need to look at possible ways to fill in the gaps.

I would like to at least state that I think the Social & Economic Development Zone Improvement Act, while a great piece of legislation (and, fittingly, originally started as an Afleitch idea), has gone ignored. It was what the Administration at the time considered our economic legislation centerpiece, and we had hoped that it would result in either the Senate, the GM, or Regional Governments specifically constructing the SEDZ in a "game" way rather than assuming they were created and never touching on them again. It's a pretty massive bill that we haven't seen hide nor tail of since it was (barely) passed by the Senate at the time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »

It is not the public's job to think up stories for you to write, Shua. It is yours. Purple State's tenure as GM taught me that you won't know what people can/will respond to unless you write it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:06 AM »

It is not the public's job to think up stories for you to write, Shua. It is yours. Purple State's tenure as GM taught me that you won't know what people can/will respond to unless you write it.
When was the last time the public was interested in any story, either domestically or internationally? I can't remember. The more fundamental issue is that there's little evidence that what I write is read at all. If it had been, the question of why we still have high unemployment would not be such a complete mystery.

It used to be popular to call Purple State the "Game God" back in the day, because that's what you have to remember that you are. You aren't just a dispenser of random statistics, you can shape the narrative of the entire game. You have immense power that you should use to write stories that people must respond to.

Who cares if people haven't expressed specific interest? This game currently lacks direction and it lacks focus, our parties act as weak and amateurish organizations compared to our old institutions, and the Senate runs around with their heads cut off picking random fights with the Supreme Court or arguing about toilet regulations than anything else. Your position was created to give the game direction and narrative it could fall back to if the meta-game started to break down, and you should be using that authority.

I'm trying to look through the old update threads to see if there have been any stories that have ever been continued from one GM to the next. So far, I haven't found any.

Look harder. I was not left much to work with, story wise, but I sewed up Badger's story about the GTO bomber (where has the GTO Ambassador gone, by the way? That position just faded away) and Yelnoc's stories about hurricanes and emergency conditions throughout the Mideast. They were minor stories, but I felt continuity was important and finished them.

If you're looking for some of my old material, there was a Midwest tax shelter story I started that no one followed up on, an abortion story I started no one followed up on, the social unrest in Oceania that no one followed up on, stories with the SoEA about african nations joining the GTO and the restrictions placed on them by doing so.. that no one followed up on, and the two other major stories I started, unsafe nuclear power facilities and a failing Postal Service, I had to solve myself when I became Senator months later.

The Guardian-Informer, folks. Ask for it by name.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies