Which is the worst big tech company?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which is the worst big tech company?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Alphabet

Meta

Amazon

Apple

Microsoft

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Which is the worst big tech company?  (Read 752 times)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 08:48:13 AM »

I am always intrigued by how many people I see complaining that Google Search is dreadful, because I don't really have any big problems with it (something similar happens with complaints about YouTube pushing crackpot videos, which to be fair I have come across occasionally but not nearly enough to faze me). Similarly Meta handily winning the poll is unsurprising - and I am the first person who can't stand the company and is glad to never have had Facebook - but coming from a country where WhatsApp is ubiquitous and not using any of their other products my heart isn't quite in it.

In terms of the poll I am not sure how to answer because on the one hand going by revealed preference the "worst" would be Apple as the one whose products and services I use the least, but on the other hand to the extent that they're all predatory companies the "worst" would be Google/Alphabet as the one which has the most impact on my life and the ranking would be flipped.

A good tip for improving Google searches would be to include the word 'Reddit' in your queries, particularly if they are on the matter of product reviews. Which just shows how bad it is.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 09:00:14 AM »

I am always intrigued by how many people I see complaining that Google Search is dreadful, because I don't really have any big problems with it (something similar happens with complaints about YouTube pushing crackpot videos, which to be fair I have come across occasionally but not nearly enough to faze me). Similarly Meta handily winning the poll is unsurprising - and I am the first person who can't stand the company and is glad to never have had Facebook - but coming from a country where WhatsApp is ubiquitous and not using any of their other products my heart isn't quite in it.

In terms of the poll I am not sure how to answer because on the one hand going by revealed preference the "worst" would be Apple as the one whose products and services I use the least, but on the other hand to the extent that they're all predatory companies the "worst" would be Google/Alphabet as the one which has the most impact on my life and the ranking would be flipped.

A good tip for improving Google searches would be to include the word 'Reddit' in your queries, particularly if they are on the matter of product reviews. Which just shows how bad it is.

I am not sure how to interpret this post but if anything I would enjoy a tip on how to make Reddit disappear from my Google search results.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 01:36:34 PM »

I am not sure how to interpret this post but if anything I would enjoy a tip on how to make Reddit disappear from my Google search results.

You can use a userscript like this one to maintain a list of ignored sites:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 03:28:46 PM »

One big issue with google search is that SEO has completely gamed the system, ensuring page 1 will often be crap and ads. (This has been worst for Google News search and, most disastrously of all, the YouTube search function.)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2024, 02:55:28 AM »

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites

Thanks, although my comment was sort of tongue in cheek. I'll be about as likely to use that function as I am to use ad blockers. Speaking of which, an actual nuisance I have noticed with YouTube recently is inexplicably different amounts of ads on the same video from the same account but different devices.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2024, 03:11:45 PM »

One big issue with google search is that SEO has completely gamed the system, ensuring page 1 will often be crap and ads. (This has been worst for Google News search and, most disastrously of all, the YouTube search function.)
I refuse to click on the "ad" link, and will scroll down and click on the same link that doesn't have "advertisement" over it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2024, 03:16:54 PM »

Thanks, although my comment was sort of tongue in cheek. I'll be about as likely to use that function as I am to use ad blockers. Speaking of which, an actual nuisance I have noticed with YouTube recently is inexplicably different amounts of ads on the same video from the same account but different devices.
I've watched YT on different TVs, phones and PCs regularly for a long time, there has always been weird ad differences between the devices.  More interesting is the "bleed over" (that's what I call it) with YT on a TV.  Me and the wife have different accounts to keep our algorithms not too screwed up, but scrolling through on her side we will see videos that are clearly "mine" and on my side I will see videos from YouTubers she is subscribed to. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies