Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 06:02:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would he be a decent nominee?
Yeah

Nah

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Huntsman Jr. getting a bit 'o blog buzz  (Read 5182 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 12, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »

Why do you call him "Huntsman Jr." rather than just "Huntsman"?  I know his father is a prominent businessman, but only the son is in politics, and it's pretty obvious when you say "Huntsman" with regard to potential 2012 presidential candidates that you're referring to the current governor of Utah, not his father.

I mean, no one calls Barack Obama "Obama Jr.", so why do the same here?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »

Why do you call him "Huntsman Jr." rather than just "Huntsman"?  I know his father is a prominent businessman, but only the son is in politics, and it's pretty obvious when you say "Huntsman" with regard to potential 2012 presidential candidates that you're referring to the current governor of Utah, not his father.

Huntsman Sr. is still alive.

So?  No one called our former vice president "Gore Jr.", though his father was alive until 1998.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »

That's his formal name.  I don't know, I call people by how they like to be called unless I'm being snarky.

Does he really go by that?  Do people in Utah actually call him "Governor Huntsman Jr."?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

Obama's father is dead, so he should not use "Jr." Is Huntsman's father still alive?

EDIT: I see he is and is certainly "man about town" in his own right. So, his son should definitely use "Jr." Can't disrespect Dad.

Yes, though as I said, Al Gore Jr.'s father was alive until 1998, and people still just referred to him as "Gore" when his father was still alive.  If Huntsman actually goes by "Huntsman Jr.", then OK, but I was just remarking that it sounds kind of weird to hear <LAST NAME> Jr., when it's pretty clear which member of the family you're talking about without adding the junior.  Anyway, I didn't mean to be accusatory against Lunar, it just made no sense to me at the time.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1108/Utah_governor_critical_of_GOP.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies