Pacific Legislature Official Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:26:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 262937 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 02:37:53 AM »
« edited: January 12, 2007, 07:15:35 PM by Jesus »

New Mexico Regional Transfer Resolution: Nay

Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules : Aye

Backup Redistricting Amendment: Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »

*steps to the Pacific Legislature's podium*

*clears throat*

As a former Senator and former Atlasian Secretary of State, and as a proud resident of the great State of New Mexico, I have become increasingly concerned about the spiral towards Stalinism in the Pacific Region led by a pack of extremist PC Nazis.
     This descent into insanity was first noted by the proposal of the extremist Reproductive Freedom Act on December 16, 2006. This Act, in particular the fourth clause but to some extent the fifth and sixth clauses, adopts the most extreme position imaginable on abortion, allowing for any abortion for any reason at any time, thus enabling, for example, an eighth-month abortion because the 12-year-old mother wants a boy instead of a girl. This puts the Pacific Region in the position of places such as China or India, where there is a noticeable imbalance between male and female children, especially in rural areas. The good citizens of New Mexico are appalled at this callous attitude towards life.
     And then on December 28, 2006, the wheels came off the tracks with an even more loony set of proposals. The slightly-less-insane Acts shall be covered first. First the Physician-Assisted Suicide Legalisation Act removes any and all safeguards against falsification or pressuring of individuals into suicide. For that matter, an individual suffering from depression could choose to off themselves instead of receiving treatment under this Act. And once again, the callous attitude towards life expressed in this bill repels the people of New Mexico.
     Then the Alcohol Freedom Act adopts the most extreme position imaginable, allowing anyone and everyone access to alcohol with no regard for the consequences whatsoever. Coming from a state that suffers the scourge of DWI, the idea of encouraging hordes of teenagers to add to DWI totals is patently insane. And given the numbers of injured and dead citizens caused by drunken drivers, adding to those totals strikes New Mexicans as highly immoral. On top of that, under this Act alcoholism would be encouraged by giving access to alcohol to impressionable youngsters of any age, when they are not capable of making reasoned choices. Do you think an 8-year-old can truly understand the risks and consequences of alcohol?
     Now we proceed to the Acts that are not only insane and extremist, but outright unconstitutional. The Republican Party Illegalisation Act outright violates Article VI of the Atlasian Constitution, banning one political party and enacting forced membership in another political party, and/or forced exile from the Pacific Region. I never thought I would see the imposition of political rules worthy of Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe, but that is what we have here, and the good people of New Mexico will not stand for it!
     And then we have the Abolishment Of Organised Religion Act, one of the most spiteful, venomous pieces of legislation we have ever seen. Also outright violating Article VI of the Atlasian Constitution, this Act outlaws all organized religion in a nasty secular-atheist manner worthy of the Communist Bloc. In addition to the imposition of cruel and unusual punishment there is again forced rendition outside the Pacific Region. As a State that deeply respects the beliefs of its citizens there are not words to describe the revulsion of New Mexicans to this Act. The so-called compromise, the misleadingly named Religious Freedom Act, along with the accompanying Resolution Concerning Currency are nothing more than an attempt to put honey around vicious anti-religious legislation and enforce de facto forced secularization in the public sphere and is also opposed, especially given the bigoted comments made by its proponent: "Additionally, the punishment is far too harsh, and it would harm religions that present no threat to society such as Unitarianism, Buddhism, Secular Humanism, and depending on one's very definition of religion, Atheism."
     The State of New Mexico expresses its deep, deep, discontent with the recent actions of the Pacific Regional Government and reserves the right for further action if this plummet into extremism is not stopped. I note that there was a shockingly high percentage of Pacific Legislators that voted for both the Republican Party Illegalisation Act and the Abolishment Of Organised Religion Act, and I notice that the measures only failed not because there was actually a majority of Legislators opposed to such measures, but because of some strategic abstentions designed to avoid federal intervention. The good citizens of New Mexico are not fooled by abstentions designed to hide the true feelings of the legislators who abstained - their desire for Stalinist rule. Angry
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(OOC: Grin )

First, you're free to run for office in the Pacific Region should you desire change, but you have chosen not to do so. Second, you can propose your own legislation, but again you have not done this. Third, you can always leave the Pacific Region, but you cannot take New Mexico with you. You can only do this by registering in a state located outside of the Pacific Region.

The Republican Party Illegalisation Act and the Abolishment of Organised Religion Act both failed. Personally, I did not vote for them and find it amusing that you find this "Stalinist" as you specifically target me in your last sentence. I abstained on the Assisted Suicide Act, too. How was this strategic? It was simply something I did not want to vote on, as were the other two. So I abstained. Due to the excellent point brought up by Alcon, I would have vetoed it, however regardless of this it would have had 2/3 of the vote, anyway, making it impossible for me to veto.

Most of those "acts" were jokes as the one who proposed them said. 

Please do not call me a Stalinist or a Nazi, especially when you desire joining a region that wants to steal states from other regions and impose a dictator. Hypocrite.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2007, 06:04:43 PM by Jesus »

To your first and second points, I respond that I'm trying to leave the Pacific Region instead of making the Pacific Region conform to my viewpoint. Not to mention that everything since December has convinced me that the region has, quite frankly, gone bonkers and it would be a futile effort. To your third point, I clearly disagree with you. I established the precedent that States were not permanently wedded to Regions in the first place and given that, at the risk of being blunt, more than anyone else [OOC: in this simluation], I am New Mexico, and I choose not to leave its people in the grip of an increasingly unsavory set of Regional laws. I will not be leaving New Mexico.

You will have to pardon me if I do not fully trust your intentions. Your very name was created to mock religion, you are virulently anti-religious, and you are one of the most reflexively partisan anti-Republicans in all of Atlasia. And my last sentence was saying that the abstentions wanted to vote for those Acts but did not want to risk possible federal repercussions. After all, if you truly opposed those Acts you would have voted against them, now wouldn't you? And as those two Acts were definitely Stalinist, that paints those who failed to oppose them as, at the least, turning a blind eye to them.

[OOC: actions do have consequences in-game, even if jokes in real-life they may be - this is a game world, after all] IC: If those Acts were supposed to be jokes, then I will point out that every passed Act is now law and that the Acts which - very narrowly - failed would have been law, violations of the Constitution they may be. How, pray tell, were the citizens of the Pacific Region supposed to believe that their elected legislators were playing a cruel joke on them? Given the enactment of one extreme Act after another, why would they deem any proposal to be a joke?

And as for the use of PC Nazi (the Stalinist comment is explained above), I take that from the great publication Red Flag, and consider it quite accurate in regards to the legislation proposed and passed since December 2006 in the Pacific.

Something "almost" happened, that means it didn't. Relax. What exactly happened in December, anyway?

You know what you have to do for New Mexico to join the Midwest. You have to convince Verin to trade Montana. Otherwise, you're staying in the Pacific. As the current votes show, chances are you are the only one in the region who supports New Mexico joining the Midwest, and you're going to have convince 67% of the region to just give you up. I don't think you can make this happen, unless you arrange the trade of Montana.

And I still think it is amusing that you call me a Stalinist when I have in no way abused my powers as Governor. Verin, on the other hand, is an imperalistic dictator-wannabe. He is clearly more of a Stalinist than I am. Would you not have to be a fan of Stalinism to leave the non-Stalinist regioin of the Pacific for the Stalinist region of the Midwest?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »

Something "almost" happened, that means it didn't. Relax. What exactly happened in December, anyway?

You know what you have to do for New Mexico to join the Midwest. You have to convince Verin to trade Montana. Otherwise, you're staying in the Pacific. As the current votes show, chances are you are the only one in the region who supports New Mexico joining the Midwest, and you're going to have convince 67% of the region to just give you up. I don't think you can make this happen, unless you arrange the trade of Montana.

And I still think it is amusing that you call me a Stalinist when I have in no way abused my powers as Governor. Verin, on the other hand, is an imperalistic dictator-wannabe. He is clearly more of a Stalinist than I am. Would you not have to be a fan of Stalinism to leave the non-Stalinist regioin of the Pacific for the Stalinist region of the Midwest?
*cough* *cough*

Pardon me, I had a frog in my throat. Smiley

The fact that the Pacific has such a large Stalinist contingent is disturbing. Angry December was when the lunatic legislation began to roll into the Pacific.

Actually, I doubt I'll get approval in any event, but I'll [OOC: play the game] go through this circus of flaming hoops as a gesture of good faith! And the Region is showing itself to be supporters of imperialism, by preventing New Mexico from choosing its own destiny!

Nay, for Verin is the very model of a good governor, and the Midwest is the very model of a good Region! Tongue Their legislation may be lighthearted, but it isn't as radical on a base level as things getting enacted into law right this second in the Pacific! Angry OOC: Heh heh heh heh heh

WMS, I strongly disagree.  I am sure we would overwhelmingly trade New Mexico for Montana. However, we feel like we are being robbed of a state. The only one who is being difficult is Verin.

Montana does not have any voters, therefore Montana could not say no to being traded. Only the Midwesterners can deny the trade of Montana. Only Verin is keeping you in the Pacific, WMS.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 10:35:44 PM »

See what I mean, WMS? An empty state. The wannabe dictator won't even trade an empty state for you, while I seek compromise!

Ilikeverin? More like Verin the Brutal!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2007, 07:57:58 PM by Jesus »

New Mexico Regional Transfer Resolution: Fails 0-8

Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules : Passes 8-0

Backup Redistricting Amendment: Passes 8-0

The Pacific has passed both constitutional methods. *SIGNS* (if I have to sign)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 01:15:28 AM »

It is actually possible that all of New Mexico's borders were closed earlier today. It's also possible that only the border with Arizona was. Ingsoc does not know the answer to this question but will do by the time the next official thread is updated.

But you'll have to wait a few hours to find out. Wink

Or a few days Huh
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »

Keep this bullsh**t up and I won't hesitate to write an initiative expelling you from the Pacific, WMS.
Just have him take New Mexico with him, and I think everyone will be happy ever after.

Pacificans will not be happy unless Montana is returned in exchange for New Mexico.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2007, 08:47:40 PM by Jesus »

Hi, I'd like to introduce this piece of legislation.

Resolution to resolve the conflict in the Southeastern Pacific Region
1) Whereas, a minority of New Mexicans have become militant rebels that have taken over the Pacific state of New Mexico and declared Pacific laws null and void within their borders.
2) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels have cut off all taxes and other funds from the Pacific state of New Mexico.
3) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels have illegally cut off access to the state from other parts of the Pacific.
4) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels, led by WMS, are oppressing opposition (possibly with violence) within their state.
5) Therefore, the Pacific Region recognizes the need to use whatever means necessary to return order to the state of New Mexico.
6) Therefore, the Pacific Region declares that it is in a state of war with militant rebels and will begin raising a military force to return order to the state of New Mexico and the entire Pacific Region.
7) The Pacific military shall be known as the Pacific Military Force, or PMF. The Commander-in-Chief of the PMF shall be the Governor of the Pacific.
8.) Once the conflict is resolved and the region returns to a state of peace, the PMF will be disbanded until it is once again needed.
9) The current goal of the PMF shall be to liberate the state of New Mexico from militant rebels and to bring their leader, WMS, to justice.

Thank you, citizens of the Pacific! I shall open voting on this resolution as well as other pieces of legislation that have been recently introduced tomorrow.

And, just a note to WMS, I think you need to remember that for a new constitution to become law, it must first not only be passed by the Senate (which, according to Senator Ebowed has a mediocre chance of passing at best) but also ratified by the Pacific Region. I find it highly unlikely that you will be able to secede from our region without the consent of the rest us.

In 2004 and 2005, you seemed to think the "trading" of states was a civil and fair way to have your state transfer from one region to another. But now you resort to what, pratically seceding illegally? You're fighting the wrong people, WMS. I am more than willing to negotiate the trade of New Mexico for a Midwestern state, preferably Montana. It is ilikeverin who continues to refuse to compromise.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »

I'm opening voting on the following.  Voting closes in exactly one week. Please vote aye or nay.

Religious Freedom Act
1. The Pledge of Allegiance is abolished.
2. There shall be no official statement of patriotism, whether recitation is voluntary or involuntary, to be legislated by the Pacific government.
3. All tax benefits and exemptions heralded towards churches and religious institutions are hereby abolished.

Resolution Concerning Currency
1. It is the position of the people of the Pacific region that no currency should designate belief or disbelief in a higher power.

Pacific Drug Free Zone Act
1. The Pacific Region shall hereby be designated as a Drug Free Zone.
2. The usage of all recreational drugs is legalised.
3. The sale of all recreational drugs is legalised.
4. Crimes commmitted whilst under the influence of recreational drugs shall be prosecuted as crimes committed whilst in any other mental state.

Adoption Bill
1. The government shall establish an Adoption Fund, which will allow persons and couples to adopt children under the age of 5 without incurring cost.
2. No person shall be barred from adopting a child on the basis of their sexual orientation.
3. Public schools are barred from requiring children to find out information about their genetics that may potentially lead to a hidden adoption status from being unveiled.

Resolution to resolve the conflict in the Southeastern Pacific Region
1) Whereas, a minority of New Mexicans have become militant rebels that have taken over the Pacific state of New Mexico and declared Pacific laws null and void within their borders.
2) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels have cut off all taxes and other funds from the Pacific state of New Mexico.
3) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels have illegally cut off access to the state from other parts of the Pacific.
4) Whereas, the New Mexican rebels, led by WMS, are oppressing opposition (possibly with violence) within their state.
5) Therefore, the Pacific Region recognizes the need to use whatever means necessary to return order to the state of New Mexico.
6) Therefore, the Pacific Region declares that it is in a state of war with militant rebels and will begin raising a military force to return order to the state of New Mexico and the entire Pacific Region.
7) The Pacific military shall be known as the Pacific Military Force, or PMF. The Commander-in-Chief of the PMF shall be the Governor of the Pacific.
8.) Once the conflict is resolved and the region returns to a state of peace, the PMF will be disbanded until it is once again needed.
9) The current goal of the PMF shall be to liberate the state of New Mexico from militant rebels and to bring their leader, WMS, to justice.

Ballot: Vote aye or nay
Religious Freedom Act:
Resolution Concerning Currency:
Pacific Drug Free Zone Act:
Adoption Bill:
Resolution to resolve the conflict in the Southeastern Pacific Region:
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »

Religious Freedom Act: Aye
Resolution Concerning Currency: Aye
Pacific Drug Free Zone Act: Nay
Adoption Bill: Aye
Resolution to resolve the conflict in the Southeastern Pacific Region: Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 11:56:39 PM »

The Religious Freedom Act passes with 7 ayes and 0 nays.
X Governor Jesus

The Resolution Concerning Currency passes with 7 ayes and 0 nays.
X Governor Jesus

The Pacific Drug Free Zone Act fails with 0 ayes and 7 nays.
X Governor Jesus

The Adoption Bill passes with 7 ayes and 0 nays.
X Governor Jesus

The Resolution to resolve the conflict in the Southeastern Pacific Region passes with 5 ayes, 0 nays, and 2 abstains.
X Governor Jesus
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 03:40:53 AM »

With the basic foundations of our military in place, our intelligence sources have shown large New Mexican rebel groupings on all interstate entrances, blocking off access to the rest of the region.

I'm announcing that Pacific Military Force bomber jets are currently on their way from Los Angeles to the border between Arizona and New Mexico at Interstate 40 with orders to launch an airstrike on the rebel groupings.

*waits for Al*
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »

I'm appointing Rob to the empty Pacific seat in the Sneate to fill the remainder of Everett's term.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 06:42:22 PM »

We usually have trouble just filling up Governor and Lt. Governor because of a lack of candidates.... In August I became Governor unchallenged and had trouble finding somebody to be Lt. Governor!

How would more frequent elections help with this problem?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »

Hi,

I would like to announce that I will be seeking re-election next month.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 04:08:32 AM »

I'm appointing  Rob to the vacant Pacific senate seat.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:13 PM »

He's aware. I'll remind him when I see him on AIM.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 12:31:54 AM »
« Edited: May 07, 2007, 12:37:27 AM by Jesus »

Hello, I would like to offer this amendment. It resolves several potential problems I see possibly popping up in the future, like an election tie (our consitution does not address this). It also simplifies the process of filling a vacant Lt. Governor position. Currently an election is required to fill the seat, although every time it has needed to be filled there has only been one candidate on the ballot, making the election relatively pointless.

Amendment regarding elections

Section 1

1. Section 3:2 of Article I shall be amended to read "If the office of Lieutenant Governor becomes vacant, the Governor shall appoint a replacement as soon as possible. The Governor may choose to hold an election to fill the position should multiple candidates arise, but is not required to do so. If the Governor does hold an election, it should take place the following weekend and take place during standard election hours."

Section 2

1. Should an election end in a tie with no way to determine a winner based on preferences, the Governor shall pick a winner among the top candidates (those who have tied).
2. Should a tie occur when there is no Governor or Lt. Governor, another election shall be held the following weekend until a winner is determined

Governor Jesus to get this to a vote.

Governor Jesus to get Porce's bill to a vote.

I'll open both at least 24 hours after this post.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 02:12:02 AM »

Voting is open on the following (here is the ballot):

Amendment regarding elections ___
Legalization of Prostitution Bill ___

My vote:
Amendment regarding elections Aye
Legalization of Prostitution Bill Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 03:39:06 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 06:42:37 PM by Jesus »

I'm changing my vote to nay on the amendment. I will change it to something along the lines of another election being held in the case of a tie, since I don't want to be a fascist like Verin. Wink

How about...

Section 1

1. Section 3:2 of Article I shall be amended to read "If the office of Lieutenant Governor becomes vacant, an election shall be held the first Friday following the vacancy during standard election hours. The winner shall take office immediately. If no candidates declare within this time, then the Governor may proceed to find a person to appoint. If an appointed person accepts the position then they shall take office immediately."

Section 2

1. Should an election end in a tie with no way to determine a winner based on preferences, another election shall be held among the tying candidates the following weekend during standard election hours.
2. Should a tie occur a second time, another election shall be held the following weekend with neither of the candidates from the previous week running again.
3. The current Governor or Lt. Governor shall serve until a winner is determined.
4. When a winner is finally determined under these extraordinary circumstances, they shall take office immediately.

X Governor Jesus
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 03:03:04 PM »

Amendment regarding elections fails with 1 aye and 3 nays
Legalization of Prostitution Bill passes with 3 ayes and 1 nay

We are now voting on the following amendment:

Amendment regarding special elections

Section 1

1. Section 3:2 of Article I shall be amended to read "If the office of Lieutenant Governor becomes vacant, an election shall be held the first Friday following the vacancy during standard election hours. The winner shall take office immediately. If no candidates declare within this time, then the Governor may proceed to find a person to appoint. If an appointed person accepts the position then they shall take office immediately."

Section 2

1. Should an election end in a tie with no way to determine a winner based on preferences, another election shall be held among the tying candidates the following weekend during standard election hours.
2. Should a tie occur a second time, another election shall be held the following weekend with neither of the candidates from the previous week running again.
3. The current Governor or Lt. Governor shall serve until a winner is determined.
4. When a winner is finally determined under these extraordinary circumstances, they shall take office immediately.

Please vote aye or nay.

I vote aye.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

The amendment passed 3-0
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 02:08:13 AM »

Automatic Teller Machine Fees Bill

x Jesus

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Bill

x Jesus

AIDS Prevention Bill
x Jesus

Resolution to Express the Sense of the Pacific on Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge Oil Drilling

x Jesus

Pacific Estate Tax Bill

x Jesus

Science in the Classrooms Bill

x Jesus
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2007, 10:57:28 PM by Jesus »

We're now voting on the following:

Automatic Teller Machine Fees Bill
1. Any bank operating within the Pacific Region shall be prohibited from fining persons using automatic teller machines ('ATMs') for using a machine not associated or approved for use by the user's bank.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Bill
1. The Pacific Region pledges $10 million to embryonic stem cell research grants effective FY 2008.
2. All regional restrictions on cloning and embyronic stem cell research are repealed.

AIDS Prevention Bill
1. The Pacific Government pledges $10 million towards condom distribution programs effective FY 2008.
2. The Pacific Government pledges $10 million towards needle exchange programs effective FY 2008.
3. The sale of hypodermic needles over-the-counter, without a prescription, is hereby legalized.

Resolution to Express the Sense of the Pacific on Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge Oil Drilling
1. It is the sense of the Pacific Region that oil drilling on the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge should be ended, because it:
a.) Degrades the environment;
b.) Discourages the use of alternative energy sources.
2. The people of the Pacific call on the federal Senate to overturn F.L. 6-21, which authorized the drilling on ANWR.

Pacific Estate Tax Bill
1. The Pacific Region estate tax outlined below becomes effective FY 2008.
2. Each portion of the value of the estate shall be taxed at the following rates, with each rate corresponding to the tax rate on only the portion of the estate that falls in the appointed range:
a) $0-$2,000,000 – 0%
b) $2,000,001-$4,000,000 – 3%
c) $4,000,001-$9,000,000 – 5%
d) $9,000,001-$15,500,000 – 7.5%
e) $15,500,001-$22,000,000 – 10%
f) $22,000,001-$45,000,000 – 12.5%
g) $45,000,001-$75,000,000 – 15%
h) $75,000,001-$100,000,000 – 18.5%
i) $100,000,001 and above – 25%
j) Farmers' non-residential property shall be taxed at 50% the normal tax rate.

Science in the Classrooms Bill
Section 1: Human Sexuality
No funds from the Pacific government shall go towards any sex education curriculum that promotes any of the following beliefs as based on scientific evidence:
1.) the trait of homosexuality or bisexuality is an entirely conscious choice and/or is strange or unnatural.
2.) the participation in homosexual sex acts is an unnatural act observed only in humans.
3.) the proper use of contraceptive devices including but not limited to condoms is grossly ineffective in preventing pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections.
4.) engaging in sexual activity before marriage with proper precautions is dangerous.
5.) males and females should limit themselves to careers which have historically been associated with masculine and feminine roles, respectively.
6.) the surgical or medical termination of a pregnancy causes, or is in any way linked to, the development of breast cancer.
7.) pregnancy begins at any point before the implantation of a fertilized egg into the uterus.
Section 2: Origins
No funds from the Pacific government shall go towards any scientific education curriculum that promotes any of the following beliefs as based on scientific evidence:
1.) the status of biological evolution as a scientific theory is somehow different or set apart from that of other scientific theories such as gravity or relativity.
2.) fossil evidence for biological macroevolution is largely inaccurate or misinterpreted by mainstream scientists, or presents a picture that contradicts with biological evolutionary theory.
3.) radioactive carbon dating is always inaccurate or scientifically unreliable.
4.) the age of the earth is less than ten thousand years.
5.) the origins of the universe and of life on earth are scientifically explained by religious texts or creeds.
6.) the complexity of certain types of life on earth are of such a magnitude that they present valid evidence for that of a higher power or "intelligent designer."
7.) creation theories are testable by the scientific method.
8.) the Second Law of Thermodynamics contradicts the Big Bang.
Section 3: Cannabis
No Pacific funds shall be directed toward any drug prevention program that disseminates any of the following beliefs, and/or presents them as being established on scientific evidence.
1. Marijuana use fails to alleviate symptoms associated with terminal illness (e.g. cancer).
2. Recreational use of marijuana invariably leads to use of "hard" drugs (the so-called "gateway effect").

Voting closes one week from the original posting time of this post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies