kyc0705 for Lincoln Assembly (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:43:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  kyc0705 for Lincoln Assembly (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: kyc0705 for Lincoln Assembly  (Read 3865 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »

What do you make of proposal to index the minimum wage to the cost of living?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

What do you make of proposal to index the minimum wage to the cost of living?

This is the kind of thing that I would support, at least as a theoretical guiding philosophy. In any case,  I do not believe in a “one-size-fits-all” approach to the minimum wage. It should be adjusted on a sliding scale, with considerations including inflation, the cost of living, and the age of the employee in question (i.e. acknowledging that 16-year-olds will have different financial needs than 30-year-olds.)
Thanks! I'm not sure I agree that indexing the minimum wage to the age of the worker in question is a good idea (it seems like that would encourage companies to hire minors over adult workers, and thus decrease employment opportunities for the 30-year-olds you mention), but I appreciate the detailed response. Good luck with your campaign!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »

Congratulations on your victory!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »

I came here to endorse your reelection and found you'd beaten me to the punch. Many thanks for your support, Mr. Lieutenant Governor; I sincerely hope the people of Lincoln will return you for another term in the Assembly.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »

I am afraid I also must withdraw my endorsement, with great regret. I bear no ill feeling toward the lieutenant governor; yet the refusal of he and his colleagues to acknowledge error in this affair, instead attacking myself and others for daring to suggest that elected legislators should participate in debate, is – to borrow a phrase – "unbecoming of a candidate I would support." I do apologize if I have personally offended the good gentleman from New Jersey, but I won't apologize for saying what I believe to be true, or for defending myself from rude attacks by other delegates who are seemingly unwilling to tolerate dissenting opinions. I've lost votes for candor before; in any case, Lumine is an exemplary Atlasian and public servant, so I think it no great loss for the country.

With all that said, I do wish you the best of luck – all things considered, you seem like a good guy, so I hope we can work together again in the future.

(P.S. I don't want to turn this thread into a flame war, but if you'd like to discuss this further, you're welcome to PM me.)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:32:15 PM »

Right, we attacked you. Here's the rundown of what happened, if you've already forgotten. You came into a region that you don't even govern in and pushed around assemblymen to pass your agenda. You sided with Blair and Governor Wells in not accepting our result. After the former Speaker resigned and kyc was appointed, we sorted it out, even citing Lincoln's constitution, the one you were so eager to be sarcastic about. Finally, after all that, you get pissy with us because we're not aligned with your practices nor ideology. You say our actions were asanine, yet they would probably be minimized if you didn't come around and mess with it. Your temperament has no place in Lincoln, let alone Nyman. I completely understand Kyc's position and support it in every way. I apologize if this was unwanted here.
This is precisely the sort of behavior I am talking about. I'm sorry if I have offended you, but I won't be bullied into silence or made to apologize for being honest because some people don't like what I have to say. Frankly, I find your post exceedingly confusing: I have never once claimed any power over the Assembly, never used the word "asinine," and I don't have an "agenda" here (you'll notice my post in the debate thread does not criticize you for your vote, nor did I asked you to change it). What I do have is a longstanding belief, borne out over two years of service at all levels of government, that legislators should be active in debate. It's a matter of etiquette — I consider a failure to ask questions before the vote extremely disrespectful, not because of the result (you have every right to vote your conscience on the matter), but because it implies indifference at best and disdain at worst for the nominee. If you asked someone to dinner, and they remained silent and refused to answer you, you would consider it a snub; this is the same thing. Maybe most people don't care about this stuff, but I do, and I'll say so — whether the people in question are Fremontian Laborites or Lincolnian Federalists.

If I sound "pissy" or offended — well, yeah. I don't appreciate the tone you've taken, sir, and consider it an uncalled for affront. Telling people to shut up and get lost because they're registered in the wrong state is extremely rude, and I'm not about to tolerate it — certainly not in this context. I notice Blackraisin was not so angrily confronted, despite objectively had more influence on the hearing than I did; odd, that. I don't attack outsiders who visit Fremont's regional government, and I don't appreciate being attacked in Lincoln.

People will vote for who they want to vote for, and if someone thinks I would make a poor president, they can and should support another candidate. Yet if candor and ethical consistency are judged vices by the ruling faction, then I shudder for the fate of my country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies