S.17.5-3: Health Insurance Reform Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:38:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.17.5-3: Health Insurance Reform Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.17.5-3: Health Insurance Reform Act (Statute)  (Read 1208 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2017, 09:56:15 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Mr. Reactionary
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »

Summary:

The goal of this bill is to create an opt-out of Atlascare for the Southern Region, to pass certain regulations to prevent unfair health insurance practices. It also imposes certain rules for reducing the costs of providing health insurance and reduces regulations on health insurance which drive up costs.

Section 1 Creates the Office of Insurance Commissioner with the powers included at the end of this summary.

Section 2 - 5 is my plan to comply with the requirements for a Regional opt-out under Atlascare. These sections authorize a special class of private insurers to become Insurers of Last Resort, or ILRs. ILRs would be allowed to negotiate Most Favored Nation Contracts, or MFNs, with non-profit healthcare providers. MFNs are contracts between parties where one party (Hospitals)  agree to only negotiate contracts with other suppliers (insurers) at the same or higher price of the MFN rates in exchange for volume (lots of sick customers). 

Non-ILR private insurers would not be permitted to negotiate MFNs of their own, which basically amounts to ILRs setting the minimum price paid to compensate providers. In exchange, ILRs would be required to cover the Atlascare care minimum essential coverage and also certain transgender treatments and surgeries. ILRs would also be required to cover any customer regardless of individual rating.

Section 6 allows any private insurer to sell policies in any State in the Southern Region.

Section 7 prohibits an individual health insurance mandate

Section 8 prohibits any private insurer from rationing healthcare services

Section 9 lists individual factors insurers are allowed to use in their actuarial models when determining how much to charge each customer to make their pools work, and also allows the Insurance Commissioner to block unfair factors.

Section 10 requires private insurers to file their maximum pricing agreements with healthcare providers for a public database.

Section 11 caps annual premium hikes over 20% and requires necessity to increase annual premiums over 12%.

Section 12 prohibits any private insurer from dropping customers just for using the insurance or getting sick.

Section 13 lowers the lazy child rule from 26 to 22.

Section 14 requires the phasing out of certain types of wasteful pricing contracts between insurers and healthcare providers.

Section 15 allows private insurers to pay a bonus to healthcare providers who have high success rates and follow best management practices.

Section 16 prohibits non-ILR insurers from offering insurance plans which do not have co-pays, unless a $300 deductible has first been met.

Section 17 prohibits price gouging customers who need emergency treatment and get sent to healthcare providers not in their insurance network.

Section 18 prohibits private insurers from imposing lifetime dollar caps on healthcare services.

Section 19 specifically allows certain types of supplemental health insurance plans.

Section 20 prohibits doctors and certain healthcare workers under contract from engaging in certain unfair labor practices.

Section 21 empowers the Insurance Commissioner to audit all private insurance investments and also creates an FDIC/PBGC type entity to insure the insurance pool.

Section 22 prohibits the paying of commissions to people who negotiate health insurance contracts

Section 23 requires private insurers to give 1 year notice before they discontinue service in a specific area

Section 24 empowers the Insurance Commissioner to impose price caps on certain services ancillary to providing healthcare services.

Section 25 places the start date in a little over a year.

Duties of the Regional Insurance Commissioner
- Approve Insurer-of-Last-Resort Applications
- Approve Rate increases > 12%
- Approve non-listed risk factors
- Set rates for listed ancillary healthcare services
- Enforce unfair trade practices
         - Ban on non-ILR MFN Provisions
         - Ban on non-ILR first-dollar coverage
         - Ban on Insurer rationing
         - Ban on Insurer unfair client dropping
         - Ban on broker commissions
- Audits
         - Insurance Company investment portfolios
         - Fee-for-Service billing codes
- Compile and Report Databases
         - Publish Insurer Max Prices
         - Publish Provider Max and Min Prices*
         - Publish Market Exit notice

*Assumes More Doctors and Hospitals Act passes
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »

Before anything else.....I would like to note my intention to provide healthcare for all residents (provided they want it) who make below 30,000$ a year (indexed to cost of living and inflation) in income.....willing to negotiate higher or lower.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »

I imagine this bill and IceAgeComing's bill will be on the floor for a while. Id like to take this time to invite my fellow delegates to contemplate what they want and dont want as far as healthcare goes. I spent about a year as a lawyer for one of the blue cross entities and this bill would likely enable them to cover eveyone not covered under the federal programs, especially with the federal HSA subsidy.

This particular plan meets the Atlascare requirements for an opt-out, avoids an individual or employer mandate, keeps some of the more popular obamacare reforms, offers new conservative reforms, and minimizes the distortionary federal crowding out of southern insurers.

I am fundamentally opposed to a government takeover of healthcare, but I know some compromise is an inevitability.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »

Bill update: This and the rival Atlascare proposal have both been on the floor for about 2 weeks. I am requesting input from my fellow delegates on how they would like to proceed on the healthcare debate. Considering the complexity and scope of the bill, I am uncomfortable with just calling a vote without more input. If I am mistaken, and the delegates fully understand the concepts of both bills, please let me know and I will schedule a vote. If you have questions pertaining to specific parts of either bill or would like some sort of townhall between the bill sponsors, please let me know so that answers can be provided. Otherwise, if no Delegate responds to this message by Monday, November 20, I am tempted to motion that we table both bills for the time being, and proceed with new business. Once tabled, I will gladly manuever to place them back upon the floor when more Delegates are prepared to proceed.

I am cross-posting this with the other Atlascare bill.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »

Bill update: This and the rival Atlascare proposal have both been on the floor for about 2 weeks. I am requesting input from my fellow delegates on how they would like to proceed on the healthcare debate. Considering the complexity and scope of the bill, I am uncomfortable with just calling a vote without more input. If I am mistaken, and the delegates fully understand the concepts of both bills, please let me know and I will schedule a vote. If you have questions pertaining to specific parts of either bill or would like some sort of townhall between the bill sponsors, please let me know so that answers can be provided. Otherwise, if no Delegate responds to this message by Monday, November 20, I am tempted to motion that we table both bills for the time being, and proceed with new business. Once tabled, I will gladly manuever to place them back upon the floor when more Delegates are prepared to proceed.

I am cross-posting this with the other Atlascare bill.

Mr Speaker, your bill has my support (I read both of them and I prefer yours)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »

I need to do some research
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »

No prob. Feel free to PM or Mibbit me with specific questions.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »

*Cross-post*

So here is my tentative plan for the Atlascare bills. I did receive feedback, so I think we should have 1 more week of closing arguments and debates. I'll seek unanimous consent to proceed to a vote on Friday, December 1st. Presumably then, the final vote on both plans will proceed on Saturday, December 2nd for 100 hours. Hopefully everyone votes. Anyone is welcome to speak from the floor in favor or against either bill until that time. Thank you.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »

I will strongly consider signing this if we can have the 30K amendment in there.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »

I will publicly say I am in favor of the Governor's plan to create a government program to subsidize the full cost of healthcare for any southerners making $30K or less. I plan on drafting a bill this week, including funding mechanisms before the final vote on this bill.

I would caution that such a government program would need to be carefully drafted, and tacking a lot of language last minute onto an already long and tangentially related bill might not be best. This curent bill serves 2 purposes: Reforming the private health insurance market, and as a result opting our region out of the federal atlascare program. The Governor's proposal would be a government program, not private health insurance reform. Again, I support the governor's proposal, but I think it might be best to keep the 2 topics separate, especially since the government program will largely operate through the reformed health insurance market.

Drafting an actual future bill though, means that any citizen (including the governor) could introduce it for debate onto the chamber floor immediately. Southern chamber rules are that 1 slot is automatically reserved for non-delegate referred legislation.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

I hereby request unanimous consent to proceed with a final vote on this bill. 24 hrs to object.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »

Unanimous consent is achieved. Delegates have 100 hrs to vote, ending about 6pm EST on Wednesday.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »

Aye
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »

Present
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »

I will strongly consider signing this if we can have the 30K amendment in there.

Agreed. This should be adopted at some point.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 05:53:03 PM »

Vote is closed. Bill passes 3-0-1; 3 not voting.

Thanks to those who voted; this is a big fu.ckin deal.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies