Politics of Glasgow: Updated with 1974-1992 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Politics of Glasgow: Updated with 1974-1992 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics of Glasgow: Updated with 1974-1992  (Read 5487 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: February 07, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »

Interesting to see that 1968, while still dreadful, wasn't the total disaster for Labour that it was in a lot of other big cities. "Progressive" strength in Exchange also interesting; presumably "no one" lived there but small businessmen, though that might be a wrong presumption. And also I'll take a guess that the growth in Labour strength in the 'burbs reflects the building of new estates and so on.

Great stuff anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »

Exchange had a population of just 20,000 in 1951, the lowest of any ward. By 1971 it had more than halfed. So it's population was essentially people who 'lived above their shops' and other assorted residencies.

Thought so, yeah.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Long period with no re-warding; I think Birmingham may even have been re-warded twice in the same period (though it may have been just once. No, I think it was twice...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The "building out" argument always did seem stronger for Glasgow than other places, 'though probably more important (more important than the fragmentation you're getting onto) would presumably be middle class people just leaving the city. Population of Glasgow dropped like a stone in the decades after the War.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »

Are the three slumland or [qm]
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »

Yeah, Liberal success in Rutherglen may be one of the least expected local election patterns ever. Was it a 'fyck you Glasgow City Council' vote or did it exist before the resented amalgamation?

I suppose its also interesting to note that the Tories lost a ward even in 1992, like a strange echo of what happened in 1979. Also, did Woy not have any impact on local politics in his constituency?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies