Register!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:19:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Register!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Author Topic: Register!  (Read 48188 times)
ShapeShifter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2004, 11:51:59 AM »

I do post on other areas of this board, and I think real-life political identification is more imortant.
OK
fair enough

Dunn, Is anyone running for the North-East Region seat from the Progressive party?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2004, 11:53:49 AM »

Shapeshifter, please come back!
I know there is a rift between you and another Democrat, but please, we need all of the support we can have! Sad

Sorry VP Harry.

You guys got start organizing things. Can't have people with Democratic position attacking fellow Democrats because they disagree with him, or have something to complain about.

Have those accountable for pushing away those away from the party.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2004, 11:54:59 AM »

Welcome to the Progressive Party, Shapeshifter! No-one is running from our party in the Northeast region.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2004, 11:56:05 AM »

Welcome to the Progressive Party, Shapeshifter! No-one is running from our party in the Northeast region.

Cool, now you can run for the District two seat without any problems.
dunn

« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »

We have a deal not to run anyone except the two that are running. It's too late for that anyhow, the deadline was yesterday, You can run for governor though
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2004, 11:58:23 AM »

What, no welcome-to-the-party for me?  No please-don't-leave-the-Democrats for me?

*sniff*
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2004, 11:59:11 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2004, 12:01:04 PM by Emsworth »

We have a deal not to run anyone except the two that are running. It's too late for that anyhow, the deadline was yesterday, You can run for governor though
But is that part of the deal?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #307 on: April 04, 2004, 11:59:31 AM »

What, no welcome-to-the-party for me?  No please-don't-leave-the-Democrats for me?

*sniff*

JLD, WELCOME!

Your action inspired me to join the right party.
dunn

« Reply #308 on: April 04, 2004, 12:00:16 PM »

But is that deal valid, really? The Democrats may not have kept their part of the bargain.

It seems that the other issue does exist: the filing deadline has already passed.
I belive they will. And If not....
ShapeShifter

« Reply #309 on: April 04, 2004, 12:01:11 PM »

What are the function of a governor? I have no problem if I do not run for any senate seat.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #310 on: April 04, 2004, 12:01:30 PM »

1.  The "deal" pertains to who the party endorses.  The Parties can't make deals regarding who will run/who will not run, that is up to individuals.

2.  Shapeshifter was already registered to run for Senate before the filing deadline.  The only thing he has changed is his party registration.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #311 on: April 04, 2004, 12:04:30 PM »

1.  The "deal" pertains to who the party endorses.  The Parties can't make deals regarding who will run/who will not run, that is up to individuals.

2.  Shapeshifter was already registered to run for Senate before the filing deadline.  The only thing he has changed is his party registration.

I can always drop from the run.

However, why the deadline is so long before the actual race?
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: April 04, 2004, 12:04:48 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2004, 12:05:34 PM by Emsworth »

But is that deal valid, really? The Democrats may not have kept their part of the bargain.

It seems that the other issue does exist: the filing deadline has already passed.
I belive they will. And If not....
The filing deadline aside, I'm not sure if our new member is precluded from running under the deal. See here. Now, the proposed sets of conditions included:

---
- No Progressive candidate for President
- No Democratic candidate for a Senate seat or Senate seats
- A non-binding expectation for Progressives to vote for the Democratic Presidential candidate, and similarly for the Democrats to vote for the Progressive candidate in the Senate district or districts. (This is non-binding because neither Party should force its voters to vote in a certain manner.)

(Emsworth)
----

1. Preference swapping in all Federal elections.
2. Support of Progressive candidate in one region or district, with no Democrat running-in return for no Progressives running in the three closest senate regions or districts
3. Sepearte parties-it is a bit confusinf to have the Progressive Democrats or Democratic Progressives...

(Hughento)

---

Neither of these precludes ShapeShifter from running. Of course, he would still have a Democratic opponent.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #313 on: April 04, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

ShapeShifter said in the candidacy-declaration thread, "I declare my candidacy for the Senate." Others assumed that it was for the district seat, but it could have been for the regional seat. Therefore, there should be no filing deadline issue.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #314 on: April 04, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »

ShapeShifter said in the candidacy-declaration thread, "I declare my candidacy for the Senate." Others assumed that it was for the district seat, but it could have been for the regional seat. Therefore, there should be no filing deadline issue.

Yea. But will they let that fly.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »

Is there a way to resolve the issue of whether Jesus and Apostle are legitimate voters?  

As I see it, whether or not they are the same person, both of them are trolls and have used the forum only to troll and not to make a meaningful contribution to out discussion of politics.  

No matter how many posts they have, they should not be allowed to vote in our elections if their primary goals are to tear the forum down and not to build it up.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2004, 01:45:53 PM »

Is there a way to resolve the issue of whether Jesus and Apostle are legitimate voters?  

As I see it, whether or not they are the same person, both of them are trolls and have used the forum only to troll and not to make a meaningful contribution to out discussion of politics.  

No matter how many posts they have, they should not be allowed to vote in our elections if their primary goals are to tear the forum down and not to build it up.

Regarding this, there are some rather sticky constitutional issues.  

Article V, Clause 4: "No one who has attained eighteen posts and have established an avatar from the United States for at least the time span of the election shall be denied the right to vote."

Amendment II, Section 2: "Every member of the forum shall have the right to vote if they have acquired eighteen posts and are registered with an avatar from the United States, and shall not be excluded from any election due to their nationality, race, religion, sex, sexual affiliation, or age. "

I have seen some discussion about changing this language to specify what constitutes valid postings.  IMO, writing language into the Constitution for the specific purpose of excluding Jesus and Apostle will be a very, very bad idea.  As the language is currently written, they cannot be excluded.  All that is mentioned is 18 posts, it does not say 18 high-quality posts or 18 posts that add something to the forum.  Nor should it.

Amendment II, Section 1: "No one shall exclude any person from an election or position on the basis of their political affiliation, whether it be in a federal or regional election."  Excluding anyone from running on the basis of membership in the Jesus Christ Party is therefore unconstitutional as well.

It simply amazes me that these multiple accounts originating from the same person have not been expelled by Dave.  I am sure he has been made aware of this situation (I have even notified him myself about it).  Obviously that is the most expedient resolution to this problem.

Constitutionally, then, here is how we can proceed:

Jesus and Apostle must be permitted to vote and run for office, having fulfilled the constitutional requirements for doing so.

In order for Apostle to actually get elected, Jesus will have to be very, very busy posting posts from Saint Christopher, Brother Ian, etc. to get them up to 18 posts.  Okay, let's assume he actually does this.  The Senate immediately expels Apostle, under the terms of Article I Section 4.  The Governor of the Wetern region would hopefully appoint the person who would have won absent all the Jesus votes.  This is somewhat unfair to Western region voters, but hopefully the Governor would do the right thing.

Whether or not Apostle gets elected to the Senate, the Supreme Court, once established and convened, will bring charges against Jesus, Apostle, and all other incarnations of this persona, the charge being creating multiple accounts in the forum.

I know this seems a long-winded way to proceed.  I hope that Dave will intervene, and make all this unnecessary.  But if the rule of law is going to prevail in the forum, as opposed to anarchy, I can see no other way.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2004, 01:53:30 PM »

I'd like to welcome both the new Progressives into the Party!  Woohoo!

I'd especially like to welcome Fritz, the other Minnesota Progressive still with a Dem avatar Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #318 on: April 04, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »

I'd like to welcome both the new Progressives into the Party!  Woohoo!

I'd especially like to welcome Fritz, the other Minnesota Progressive still with a Dem avatar Smiley

Thanks Ilikeverin!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2004, 02:43:44 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2004, 02:44:45 PM by NickG »

Regarding this, there are some rather sticky constitutional issues.  

Article V, Clause 4: "No one who has attained eighteen posts and have established an avatar from the United States for at least the time span of the election shall be denied the right to vote."

Amendment II, Section 2: "Every member of the forum shall have the right to vote if they have acquired eighteen posts and are registered with an avatar from the United States, and shall not be excluded from any election due to their nationality, race, religion, sex, sexual affiliation, or age. "

I have seen some discussion about changing this language to specify what constitutes valid postings.  IMO, writing language into the Constitution for the specific purpose of excluding Jesus and Apostle will be a very, very bad idea.  As the language is currently written, they cannot be excluded.  All that is mentioned is 18 posts, it does not say 18 high-quality posts or 18 posts that add something to the forum.  Nor should it.

Amendment II, Section 1: "No one shall exclude any person from an election or position on the basis of their political affiliation, whether it be in a federal or regional election."  Excluding anyone from running on the basis of membership in the Jesus Christ Party is therefore unconstitutional as well.

It simply amazes me that these multiple accounts originating from the same person have not been expelled by Dave.  I am sure he has been made aware of this situation (I have even notified him myself about it).  Obviously that is the most expedient resolution to this problem.

Constitutionally, then, here is how we can proceed:

Jesus and Apostle must be permitted to vote and run for office, having fulfilled the constitutional requirements for doing so.

In order for Apostle to actually get elected, Jesus will have to be very, very busy posting posts from Saint Christopher, Brother Ian, etc. to get them up to 18 posts.  Okay, let's assume he actually does this.  The Senate immediately expels Apostle, under the terms of Article I Section 4.  The Governor of the Wetern region would hopefully appoint the person who would have won absent all the Jesus votes.  This is somewhat unfair to Western region voters, but hopefully the Governor would do the right thing.

Whether or not Apostle gets elected to the Senate, the Supreme Court, once established and convened, will bring charges against Jesus, Apostle, and all other incarnations of this persona, the charge being creating multiple accounts in the forum.

I know this seems a long-winded way to proceed.  I hope that Dave will intervene, and make all this unnecessary.  But if the rule of law is going to prevail in the forum, as opposed to anarchy, I can see no other way.

I'd imagine the reason Dave doesn't expel people for having multiple identies is that, for the most part, Dave doesn't moderate the Fantasty Election board.    On the other boards, having multiple identities doesn't serve much purpose, so it isn't really a problem.  Dave mostly makes sure there is no profanity and (lately) that the conversation is on-topic.

We have the responsibility to police ourselves in the  Fanatsy Election forum, and that means we can decide who is a legitimate voter, whether or not they are a legal poster on other boards.  If the Constitution indicates that everyone with 18 posts must be allowed to vote, I would support amending the Constitution.

In my mind, if a person is only on the forum for the purpose of trolling, they should not be voting in the elections whether or not they have 18 post that techically qualify as legitimate.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2004, 03:21:30 PM »

Prove that all members of the JCP are "one" person first. They aren't. Doing an IP check should confirm this.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2004, 03:22:57 PM »

Prove that all members of the JCP are "one" person first. They aren't. Doing an IP check should confirm this.

No it can't, people can use different computers.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2004, 03:24:36 PM »

How would one person get access to TEN computers??? I could see maybe 2 or 3, but 10?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2004, 03:27:05 PM »

It's possible configure your computer to send out false IP's. There's nothing to lose in doing an IP check, heck, we know it would make cheating HARDER, and that's always a plus. Not everyone is going to be as obvious as JC here. However, IP check should not be the only test, obviously.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2004, 03:29:11 PM »

It's possible configure your computer to send out false IP's. There's nothing to lose in doing an IP check, heck, we know it would make cheating HARDER, and that's always a plus. Not everyone is going to be as obvious as JC here. However, IP check should not be the only test, obviously.

Oh...well..Jesus doesn't really know how to do that :-/
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies