Who is more likely to win re-election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:22:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who is more likely to win re-election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who?
Abby Finkenauer (IA-01)

Cindy Axne (IA-03)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Who is more likely to win re-election?  (Read 1053 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:34:35 PM »

I thought this would be an interesting question. Judging from the trends in these districts, I'm going with Axne despite the fact that she won by a smaller margin.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »

Axne especially if she can pressure redistricting to get a des moine heavy district which basically makes King's district +40R Trump. It would make geographical sense although it would be a blatant democratic gerrymander.
PAK Man

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »

Axne especially if she can pressure redistricting to get a des moine heavy district which basically makes King's district +40R Trump. It would make geographical sense although it would be a blatant democratic gerrymander.

Iowa has an independent redistricting committee to prevent Gerrymandering. Plus, it's kind of difficult to Gerrymander the state.

As for the question at hand, Finkenauer. The district is more Democratic, plus I think she's a perfect fit for it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »

Iowa has an independent redistricting committee to prevent Gerrymandering. Plus, it's kind of difficult to Gerrymander the state.

As for the question at hand, Finkenauer. The district is more Democratic, plus I think she's a perfect fit for it.
ik it has independent redistricting but she could voice an opinion for a smaller des moines based district for the sake of "community interest"
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »

Cindy Axne. Not by much, but I feel she will not only benefit from the district trends but is generally more likely to win anyway.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »

Cindy Axne, but both will need a good year for Democrats to survive. I think Finkenauer is extremely overrated in general, and on Atlas in particular.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »

Cindy Axne, but both will need a good year for Democrats to survive. I think Finkenauer is extremely overrated in general, and on Atlas in particular.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »

Definitely Finkenauer. The seat is trending Republican, sure, but it's still a D+1 seat, and she is a stronger incumbent. Regardless, these are both seats the Democrats need to prioritize defending in 2020.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:34:34 PM »

If neither of them can survive in a Presidential year then Iowa is truly gone for Democrats and 2016 is the new normal for Presidential elections.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:19:05 AM »

Yeah, Finkenauer's margin was pretty embarrassing considering the hype and that Blum was "triaged"

Yeah, remember when Blum was going to get Blanched and lose by more than Comstock? lol
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »

They'll both win reelection in 2020. Finkenauer as the answer to the question.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »

I think it's a little early to predict this with any degree of confidence, but I'd give Finkenauer slightly better chances overall. Both will be competitive, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies