Is this country headed toward another depression? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:18:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this country headed toward another depression? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this country headed toward another depression?  (Read 5387 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »

Obama raising taxes in the middle of this al la FDR is a good way to cause one. We know he's rooting for it right now.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

Obama raising taxes in the middle of this al la FDR is a good way to cause one. We know he's rooting for it right now.

Most people would get a tax cut, at least if they still have jobs after the Bush economy.

Okay. Let's raise taxes on the wealthy, capital gains, payroll, and social security and see how the economy responds. I bet it would turn around!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »

Most people would get a tax cut, at least if they still have jobs after the Bush economy.

Okay. Let's raise taxes on the wealthy, capital gains, payroll, and social security and see how the economy responds. I bet it would turn around!
I highly doubt Obama is going to attempt to do all of that at once. That said the immense costs of what he seems to be advocating make me extremely nervous. We have enough unfunded liabilities as it stands without him promising to use government to practically part the seas.

His tax cut is much cheaper than McCain's.

Well, Obama is calling for billions more in spending. Last time I checked, McCain wanted to cut spending, something his record has shown for a long time. Cutting taxes and increasing spending makes little sense, and this is what Bush did that got him in so much trouble.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:44 PM »

Well, Obama is calling for billions more in spending. Last time I checked, McCain wanted to cut spending, something his record has shown for a long time. Cutting taxes and increasing spending makes little sense, and this is what Bush did that got him in so much trouble.

McCain isn't going to cut spending. He will continue wasting money on this Iraq war and corporate bailouts. Palin will push for some more Bridge to Nowheres in Alaska.

Goodness. It's kind of impossible to win with you. The war in Iraq is drawing to a close and both candidates will begin to draw down troops fairly soon. Obama wants to delay it so he can win the Presidency first. Statements like Palin pushing for a bridge to nowhere is pretty silly to say.

And what would Obama have done with the financial crisis? He wouldn't have supported the bailouts?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

McCain isn't going to cut spending. He will continue wasting money on this Iraq war and corporate bailouts. Palin will push for some more Bridge to Nowheres in Alaska.

Goodness. It's kind of impossible to win with you. The war in Iraq is drawing to a close and both candidates will begin to draw down troops fairly soon. Obama wants to delay it so he can win the Presidency first. Statements like Palin pushing for a bridge to nowhere is pretty silly to say.

And what would Obama have done with the financial crisis? He wouldn't have supported the bailouts?

You claimed McCain wanted to cut spending. Obama is irrelevant to that claim. Do you really think that McCain plans on leaving Iraq soon? He was strongly against any sort of timetable before.

He was against cutting and running, but now that the Iraqi government is calling for a timetable, I would surely hope he isn't for overriding their wishes and staying in. And I don't think he is.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

Well, I've recouped some losses over the past few days. I've bought 300 shares of Citigroup at $15 which has rocketed to $21 today. I guess I can just sit back and enjoy the ride. Things will turn around in due time. It may take a while, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies