The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:42:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread  (Read 25469 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »

LOL? Saleh is our friend? The proper term is our bitch. Now they seriously need to ask Paul a question, he has had TWO.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

Mitt looks and sounds presidential.
If the Presidents of the past and future were robots, then you would be right.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »

I love how people who never served in combat can be so cavalier in starting wars, and sending other peoples children to be possibly killed
The government is dominated by Chickenhawks...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

I. Freaking. Love. Ron. Paul.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »

For Gods sake, Paul is NOT a Senator. And Bachmann, you need to STFU.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

Ron Paul has had his best night yet.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »

Clinton voters would have said this 4 years ago.

Aside from the reelection of Obama, who else is there?
Newt, Perry, Paul, Huntsman, and maybe Cain.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »

Its lagging like hell.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

If the moderaters were not tooles, then I would say this would be the best debate so far.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »

They asked Paul FOUR questions....he's in 3rd place for hells sake!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »

I love how people who never served in combat can be so cavalier in starting wars, and sending other peoples children to be possibly killed
The government is dominated by Chickenhawks...

Amen to that!  Pisses me off when Mr. Five-DeferMITT talks all tough. Hey Mitt- I fought, You didnt

Unless you want to require military service to be prerequisite to the run for President, it is kind of an unfair standard to say only candidates who are veterans can take a stance on certain issues.

I want military service to be compulsary for all citizens
So because you did it, I should? I thought the army supported Freedom...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

I want military service to be compulsary for all citizens
So because you did it, I should? I thought the army supported Freedom...

Clarence's position is pretty stupid and not well thought out. I'm curious as to how he would handle a criticism like: How would compulsory military service not destroy economic output in areas such as a young man or young women owning a business being forced to shut the doors due to compulsory military service?

Or do you have a clue as to how much something like that would cost?

Or do you have any idea how much combat effectiveness drops when you have many people that don't want to be there?

Wouldn't you agree that people who criticize politicians for sending troops to war would have a much better argument if military service was compulsory instead of voluntary? At least for right now those serving chose to make a difference in the rest of the world.

I would point to Clarence's position as just another example of someone producing a knee jerk believe without really spending any time thinking about the consequences of something like that.

First of all to Chairman Sanchez, I am a proud veteran of the United States Navy, not the Army. Then again you're probably among the naive majority who thinks "army" and "military" are synonyms...

As for Wonkish1...
I do not want to elaborate much on my time in Vietnam or the Navy as I don't want to 1) brag 2) bore you with details 3) relive some of the horrors I saw. Suffice it to say that I know the tragedy that war is and the effects combat can have on a person.  This discussion began with criticism of chickenhawks who send kids to war because THEY haven't thought it out as they have no lived through it. I assure you that any sentiment or belief I have regarding war or the military is more thought out than you could ever imagine.  Your rejection of my view as "stupid" and "not thought out" is immature and innaccurate.

Your views about the economic effects are precisely why I support it.  I disagreed with some others about this earlier but I look at Isreal as a model in many ways, their military as a perfect example. Do you ever wonder why Isreal is EXTREMELY productive for its small size? Why they have the percapita highest number of startups? Why they invent so much technology for military, health, agriculture, etc? Its because of the training and experience their ENTIRE citizenry has in the military.  Familiarization with technology translates into the real world, as my naval construction experience allowed me to have a long and successful career in construction of homes.

Imagine if every citizen at age 21 left the military with very high proficiency in math, science, engineering, etc. On top of that he / she had special skills that are applicable to work, and had the discipline and work ethic instilled by the military AND skills in health, fitness, dieting.  Of course, I also believe everyone should contribute to our national security by serving as it is the right thing to do, but the reasons above are some of the many benefits it would have for our nation's economy.

To answer your questions about combat effectiveness...I served in Vietnam, when many men with me did not want to be there. Vietnam was the point of lowest morale in our nation's history. Today I read an article about how suicides among military service members have gone up in the past few years.  Still, combat effectiveness is perfectly fine now as it was in Vietnam. Readiness is formed in training, and soldiers who are not ready to go, don't make it.  Basic Training is meant to teach you how to deal with the worst case scenario
Clarence, we dont agree, but thanks for your service in Vietnam. Happpy Vetrans day Smiley.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies