MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:25:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 120640 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
« edited: November 19, 2008, 09:26:10 PM by Mr.Phips »

Today's recount results:

Nov. 4 Ballots Cast for Norm Coleman   195708
Nov. 4 Ballots Cast for Al Franken   180950

Recounted Data   Totals   Percent
RECOUNT Number of Ballots for Coleman (as recounted)   195638   43.25
RECOUNT Number of Ballots for Franken (as recounted)   180923   39.99
RECOUNT Number of All Other Ballots (as recounted)   75585   16.71
RECOUNT COLEMAN and Other Ballots Challenged By FRANKEN   106   0.02
RECOUNT FRANKEN and Other Ballots Challenged By COLEMAN   115   0.03

Percentage of Ballots Recounted = 15.49 %

Recount (so far)Sad
Coleman: - 70
Franken: - 27

Net Result: Coleman - 43 votes

http://electionresults.sos.state.mn.us/20081104/SenateRecount.asp

This gives Coleman a lead of 181. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »

The losers in important recounts inevitably claim the other side cheated.  Guaranteed.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

The losers in important recounts inevitably claim the other side cheated.  Guaranteed.

All this happened before the recount started, when Franken saw a surge in votes after election day out of 4 specific counties.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »

All this happened before the recount started, when Franken saw a surge in votes after election day out of 4 specific counties.

I didn't say that the claims are always illegitimate, just that they are guaranteed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »

Just FYI, for those keeping score:  The MN SOS website says Coleman -47 votes, with 23.17% of precincts and 15.49% of votes.  The Star-Tribune says Coleman -34 votes, with 25% of precincts and 17% of votes.  And my counting of the Strib says Coleman -41 votes.  Still haven't counted the SOS yet...

Waiting for these numbers to coalesce around one result...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »

Wait, Sam, if there have been significantly more precincts than votes, does that mean we've probably not hit up the pro-Franken urban centers yet?
tokar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »

some people are really stupid...
1 shows a guy who didnt even mark in the designated area
1 shows a guy who filled in Franken at first, but then pointed an arrow leading from the Franken circle to the Coleman circle
1 shows a guy who marked an X between the circles for Franken and Aldrich

The last is probably from some poll worker who mishandled the ballot and left his/her fingerprint on the ballot.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

Just FYI, for those keeping score:  The MN SOS website says Coleman -47 votes, with 23.17% of precincts and 15.49% of votes.  The Star-Tribune says Coleman -34 votes, with 25% of precincts and 17% of votes.  And my counting of the Strib says Coleman -41 votes.  Still haven't counted the SOS yet...

Isn't Coleman -43 on the MN SOS site? He lost 70 votes, while Franken lost 27 votes.
tokar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 09:58:36 PM »

lol, i had some page open which said "Coleman's lead shrinks by 15%", and it must be on auto-refresh because it now says 20%.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »

Coleman's campaign is challenging this vote, which was counted for Franken. For the first time in memory, I've found common ground with Norm Coleman. How was this vote possibly cast for Franken?
tokar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2008, 12:53:02 AM by tokar »

Coleman's campaign is challenging this vote, which was counted for Franken. For the first time in memory, I've found common ground with Norm Coleman. How was this vote possibly cast for Franken?

If you analyze, by weight, the number of pixels which are above the line versus the amount below the line you will see that there are more above than below.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »

[/quote

If you analyze, by weight, the number of pixels which are above the line versus the amount below the line you will see that there are more above than below.
Sure, but the line is clearly through the Libertarian's oval. I think that signifies a vote for the Libertarian.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »

Ok, here's the Franken campaign's argument:

"We have calculated that there are 3 more pixels above the line than below the line, even though the ink was not even near our bubble.  Therefore, the vote should count for us!"
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »

This is ridiculous. I can't believe Al Franken is going to be in the Senate. We've gone mad.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »

It's voting line 3 3/4.  Only the wizards can see the candidate's name.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 10:09:23 PM »

Wait, Sam, if there have been significantly more precincts than votes, does that mean we've probably not hit up the pro-Franken urban centers yet?

Definitely in Hennepin - the results so far are from a few carriage precincts towards the western part of the county which should go GOP.

Not so in Ramsey.  The results so far skew towards Franken and look urban to me.

St. Louis looks like mainly rural precincts.  There is a slight Franken skew however (very very slight)

Not going to speak as much as Dakota, Washington and Anoka as I haven't analyzed them.

The results will skew rural right now, then urban.  The anti-BRTD Minneapolis suburbs get counted last.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »

The last is probably from some poll worker who mishandled the ballot and left his/her fingerprint on the ballot.

Very unlikely. How ballots are handled is you fill out your ballot, and then carry it to the ballot machine in either a folder or some sort of metal carrier (basically designed to protect the privacy of your ballot. You then slide it into the machine. If a poll worker handled the ballot, it would have to be after voting and I'm sure the way the machines are set up to remove the ballots for a recount is designed to avoid this sort of thing.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

I can foresee two hilarious (and heartbreaking, depending on which side you're on) scenarios unfolding. First, Franken takes a narrow lead after all the D strongholds come in, but he loses his lead after the rural areas are counted. Second, Coleman survives the recount, but loses after some previously rejected absentee ballots are counted.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »

I can foresee two hilarious (and heartbreaking, depending on which side you're on) scenarios unfolding. First, Franken takes a narrow lead after all the D strongholds come in, but he loses his lead after the rural areas are counted. Second, Coleman survives the recount, but loses after some previously rejected absentee ballots are counted.

Quite possible.  I should note, however, that Franken is only challenging rejected absentees in Ramsey.  If he wins, I suspect Coleman will challenge rejected absentees in his strong counties and then we get pandamonium again
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »

The Strib now has an article up that says it will be Coleman +174 (-41 for the day) through 18% of votes.  Coleman has challenged 146.  Franken has challenged 123.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »

This is ridiculous. I can't believe Al Franken is going to be in the Senate. We've gone mad.

Lol, mate, you've been saying stuff like this all over the thread, at least wait till the end of the recount to see if Franken actually wins, before complaining.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »

BTW I assume when Sam says "anti-BRTD suburbs" he means places like Wright and Sherburne and not Washington and Dakota right? Though granted the former weren't THAT much stronger for Coleman than the latter.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 11:16:23 PM »

BTW I assume when Sam says "anti-BRTD suburbs" he means places like Wright and Sherburne and not Washington and Dakota right? Though granted the former weren't THAT much stronger for Coleman than the latter.

Yes.  I was referring more to %-wise, as opposed to overall numbers.

Although it doesn't apply to the former list that much, Scott also doesn't start counting until December 3
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »

Yes.  I was referring more to %-wise, as opposed to overall numbers.

Even percentage-wise there's only about a five-point difference. Those counties are much stronger for Republicans in blowout DFL elections (like how they voted for Mark Kennedy) and presidential than close elections where the Republican runs well in the inner-middle suburbs.

Although it doesn't apply to the former list that much, Scott also doesn't start counting until December 3

Actually I put Scott in that category as well. After all it gave Coleman over 50%.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »

How can anyone know the partisan biases of those who can't mark their ballots properly?  One can assume they match their region, are more Dem, are old, or whatever. Who knows? I don't trust much projections here. I suspect given the ballot design, it is mostly old folks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies