Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:07:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 114235 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »

I am expecting a response on whether I'm getting an offer on Monday or Tuesday. If I get an offer I think I'll ask some more questions about the turnover rate (I know should've asked during the interview). Do you guys think I should ask these type of questions if I get an offer?

I think I'll likely take the job even if I don't want to because I've become so self-conscious about being unemployed (~4 months looking for a job; 5 months unemployed). It's the most serious interview I've had since December.

You really should have asked in the interview, but it can't hurt to throw out a quick question if (and only if) they give you an offer. Even if you're taking the job regardless, it might help give you a better idea of what you're getting into.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2017, 06:37:21 AM »

It's currently blizzarding out, and my city is expected to get 40-70 cm of snow, so I have an unexpected day off. Smiley
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »

It's currently blizzarding out, and my city is expected to get 40-70 cm of snow, so I have an unexpected day off. Smiley
Nice! I love snow.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »

Finally! A proper workplace (I have at least three times as many books, but no place)   

Show off.

Guilty.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: February 13, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »

Just remembered I'm moving and getting the new Quantum Leap DVD (but not necessarily in that order).
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #280 on: February 13, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

I am expecting a response on whether I'm getting an offer on Monday or Tuesday. If I get an offer I think I'll ask some more questions about the turnover rate (I know should've asked during the interview). Do you guys think I should ask these type of questions if I get an offer?

I think I'll likely take the job even if I don't want to because I've become so self-conscious about being unemployed (~4 months looking for a job; 5 months unemployed). It's the most serious interview I've had since December.

You really should have asked in the interview, but it can't hurt to throw out a quick question if (and only if) they give you an offer. Even if you're taking the job regardless, it might help give you a better idea of what you're getting into.

lmao, nevermind, they decided to hire someone else. That's what I get for being stupid and overconfident. Sad Thanks for the advice, though, I def. agree.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #281 on: February 13, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

I've been awarded a $1000 scholarship through my school's radio station. I was told my essay for the scholarship was heartfelt, and my interview was genuine. I'm extremely proud of myself.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »

I've been awarded a $1000 scholarship through my school's radio station. I was told my essay for the scholarship was heartfelt, and my interview was genuine. I'm extremely proud of myself.

Congrats mate!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #283 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »

I feel ya. Everything OK?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #284 on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »

Yeah. I just didn't have anyone to talk to during my schools breakfast period(2 hours on mondays/tuesdays due to scheduling stuff).

I still get lonely sometimes, but the problem seems to be getting better(as of last thursday).
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #285 on: February 13, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »

Mom said a junkie shot someone outside my old neighborhood in Lafayette. The police weren't called.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #286 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »

Nice! I love snow.

Haha, I do too... just not on this scale. Digging out my car tomorrow is not going to be fun.

Oh well, that's future DC's problem. Present DC has storm beer and storm chips Cheesy
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #287 on: February 13, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

Last night, I was watching iZombie with my family, and a character said he was into "really white girls." Sibling said "[they're] a really white girl," I impulsively said "same." Nobody noticed that I had just outed myself.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »

I've been lonely for 28 and a half year so I'm not particulary impressed.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 10:28:45 AM by White Trash »

I've been working with my grandma and grandpa on some genealogy stuff, really cool. The earliest American ancestor we can trace came over from Ulster (which means he was likely a Scot), to Virginia around 1740ish. Was an indentured servant working on a plantation outside of what is now Arlington. The rest of his posterity were listed as simply being "servants" or "hands" until one man living in Tennessee who a document listed as "driver".

This confused me a for a good bit, I doubt that cattle herding or truck driving was a big thing in 1830s Tennessee. And then I realized that the document meant he was a slave driver or an overseer on a plantation. After the Civil War all of my ancestors were listed as "servants" again until the 1890s.

Fun fun fun.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »

Really cannot wait to be done with my thesis so I can actually read for pleasure again and not risk reuptake of tobacco use. Gotta churn through a few more pages of info before I reprocess all this and try to get some sort of finished product. Should be done by spring break (otherwise I'm effed).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:57 AM »

Halifax got 60cm of snow yesterday. Fun fun.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »

I've been lonely for 28 and a half year so I'm not particulary impressed.

Thanks for the politeness.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »

Tobacco use can grant loneliness as desirable aesthetic.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »

Looked further into the genealogy stuff. My grandpa's family first moved to Louisiana in 1897 and were tenants in a shotgun house that was located in what is now Girard Park. They moved downtown sometime in 1912 and lived there until my grandfather was born. I don't think the building they lived in is still standing, but I might try my hand at finding out.

My grandmother's family is fairly interesting too. From what we can tell, they've been living in Louisiana since at least the 1820s, they show up on marriage and baptism documents in New Orleans dating to then. This has been difficult to collect and read because my French is rusty, but from what I can tell they were largely of English-speaking stock but did intermarry with some Cajuns later on. Their occupations aren't recorded, but judging by where they lived in New Orleans I can guess that they were fishermen of some sort. A single member of the family left New Orleans during the Northern occupation in 1862, and most died during the occupation, their graves are still present at St. Louis Cemetery #1 in the French Quarter. Next time I'm in NOLA I'll stop by. That single family member ended up in unoccupied Lafayette and started a family there.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #295 on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »

Regretting all of my life decisions, as usual. Smiley
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »

Regretting all of my life decisions, as usual. Smiley

Same.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »

Effing A, 'bout to pass out in class. First caffeine if the day ain't kicked in yet, or has already passed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

Yep! Smiley
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »

Finally got a chance to drop off my bag of food at the local refugee center.  There were so many kids there, and I'm just really happy that I could help make sure they have good food to eat...  Will definitely be keeping them in mind if I have anything else to donate in the future.  Feeling kind of proud of my city that we have such a place too.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies