The Update for Everybody Else (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:43:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 86204 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 17, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »

My cat's dying of renal failure. I've had him since I was four. My best friend is visiting. I only see her a few times a year. I'm in a very mixed emotional state.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2013, 08:56:42 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I doubt Pando will last the night. To afleitch, Antonio, and ProgressiveRealist (who expressed his condolences in another venue), thank you so much. Losses like this are always hard and I'm not really sure what more to say about it right now. He's still breathing, but only just.

EDIT: He's in end stage renal disease and his life signs are starting to go. He can no longer move any voluntary muscles, including those controlling his eyes, and he's cold to the touch. He'll be dead within a few hours. He's lying down with me and my best friend on either side of him, listening to hymns.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »

He's passed. It was peaceful, at home, and with a minimum of pain, thank God.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:54 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2013, 03:50:13 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

He's passed. It was peaceful, at home, and with a minimum of pain, thank God.

You have my deepest condolences. I'm not sure if that's the word I should be using for this situation, but considering the kind of relationship you had with him it probably is. I hope you are not suffering too much.

Honestly, right now I want to talk and think about almost anything else. My best friend and I went for a long walk in the rainy night afterwards, and tomorrow we'll go to a Pentecost service together and then maybe drive out to the Pine Barrens (I'm at my mother's house in New Jersey right now) and just...be out there, for a while.

I barely remember a time before him. He was four years younger than me to the day or very nearly so, and I'd had him since he was a kitten.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

As some of you (the IRC crew) know, I've liked this girl for a couple of months. We went to prom together as friends, she's pretty much aware how I feel, and I'm 99% sure she just sees me as a friend, which I can accept. Still, my feelings are bogging me down and probably keeping me from pursuing more...viable relationships. Should I just tell the girl how I feel and that I understand it isn't mutual so as to help let it go?
Bro, just ask her. Don't start presuming, just ask anyway and go after another girl. The biggest mistake I ever made in high school was getting hung up over a girl for two years.

That's probably the best course of action, but on the other hand I feel it could be redundant (again, my infatuation is a terribly-kept secret) and could potentially dent our friendship.

The friend zone is not a nice place.

The 'friend zone' is what you make of it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »

Regardless of whether it is absolutely true or not, the implicit premise that higher education only has value if it leads you to making lots of money later in your life is utterly horrendous.

Well, the issue isn't money, it's than you are unemployed or just end doing some unqualified job in a store or a restaurant.

That's a problem with the basic structure and aims of our society and its political economy, not a problem with majoring in the humanities. While I understand the temptation to compromise on this, it's one of the things that I personally refuse to do so on, and I've fully accepted as a consequence of that refusal that once I'm finished with my formal education I'll have hard time finding work that I can do and enjoy. I consider it worth it to pursue a line of study that interests me and that I believe is morally responsible.

Although I'd much rather do some kind of serious and productive labor from which I wasn't alienated than hold a sinecure, this is otherwise some of the realest sh**t opebo has ever said:

More to the point - his complaints form an excellent critique of the capitalist economic system, not 'education'.

Any society that doesn't provide a comfortable sinecure in the bureaucracy for history majors is horrific. 

Just because I've accepted the consequences of this doesn't mean that other people whose interests and passions lie in the humanities and arts should have to.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »

I've got dyshidrotic eczema. Fortunately, it appears to be a fairly mild case.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2013, 01:17:39 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

I'm going to be in Shelburne Falls for the weekend looking at the house my family will be moving into after we return from Japan in August, then spending a few days in Amherst and Northampton to vote in the Senate election, among other things, before going to New Jersey to a little while to help my parents prepare to move.

Today, my supervisor told me to leave at 4:15 because it "is going to rain and you should get out while you can." I imagine something dark is about to happen here.

Good luck, Duke. Stay safe.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if the stress I've been undergoing the past year or so has been adversely affecting my value as a poster by making me more irritable and quick to default to the aspects of my personality and worldview that piss people off, or if the anxiety derived from the stress has been making me think that it has. (I'm also wondering this about my value as a friend in real life.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if the stress I've been undergoing the past year or so has been adversely affecting my value as a poster by making me more irritable and quick to default to the aspects of my personality and worldview that piss people off...

What 'stress' do you experience, mate?

I'm in a major with an 80% attrition rate with one semester left, my cat had been ailing for a while and died last month, and there have been a lot of health problems in my family.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

Japanese. The program at my university has a reputation among both other departments at the university and the analogous departments in other universities in the region for being intensive, but part of the attrition rate does admittedly derive from the fact that some people who declare the major as freshmen have expectations that would be unrealistic for any serious study of a foreign language.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Japanese. The program at my university has a reputation among both other departments at the university and the analogous departments in other universities in the region for being intensive, but part of the attrition rate does admittedly derive from the fact that some people who declare the major as freshmen have expectations that would be unrealistic for any serious study of a foreign language.

What's the attrition rate in an American University undergraduate program typically like?

It varies from place to place, but I found a New York Times article that gives the figures of sixty per cent in science and engineering counting pre-med, forty not counting pre-med, and twenty to thirty in everything else.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

I'm going to be spending about forty days in Japan starting in two weeks. When I get back my family is moving and then very shortly thereafter I'm starting my last semester as an undergraduate and working on applications for divinity school (although I'm not seeking ordination at this point). I'm hoping for Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge or Yale Divinity School but I'm also going to apply to at least a few other Episcopal/Anglican or inter/nondenominational divinity schools in the United States and Canada.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:37:56 PM »

I'd like to extend my official congratulations to Bacon King, one of the Atlas greats who's finally found happiness.

This, as well. Best of luck with this person, Bacon King.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2013, 02:58:40 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I didn't know hooking up was something for which one could use the past progressive.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

I didn't know hooking up was something for which you could use the past progressive for.

N'est-ce pas?

True story: I spent about a minute trying to decide whether to write that post in a formal or colloquial register. I think, on further consideration, that I chose imprudently. I'm also changing 'you' to 'one'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »

I didn't know hooking up was something for which one could use the past progressive.
You disapprove of habitually hooking up with the same person?

That isn't what I said.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2013, 07:44:26 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

You disapprove of habitually hooking up with the same person?

That isn't what I said.
I'm confused. That's the purpose of the verb tense.

Don't play dumb. I didn't say anything about approval or disapproval. I was unaware that the verb could be used that way because my social group self-selects against people who regularly make unironic use of it.

My skin has more or less cleared up, but I have a chest cold now. My cat--the one who didn't die last month--is also sick, although we're not sure with what yet. He's acting incredibly needy and is constantly underfoot. I'm leaving for Japan in nine days.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 04:51:28 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Yikes. I'm really sorry this is happening, Joe. Best of luck. I have no idea what it must be like deal with a situation like that.

I'm going to be in Japan for six weeks (including for the House of Councillors election!); my plane is taking off in six hours. I'm really nervous.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »

I'm safely ensconced in Chiba Prefecture.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »

I do.

I'm in Kyoto now, about to go to sleep. The weather here is awful. Everything else is good so far.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »

Sixty-five hundred yen is not a reasonable price for half a kilogram of dried blueberries, be it a festival night or not.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »

Sixty-five hundred yen is not a reasonable price for half a kilogram of dried blueberries, be it a festival night or not.

Yikes!  No, that's not a reasonable price.
I googled a currency converter, and that's about $65. Wtf?

He was clearly trying to rip me off. I won't let that happen again.

The part of Aomori Prefecture that I'm staying in--took the Hikari and Hayate Shinkansen trains up from Kyoto earlier--smells like fish and brine and alternates between industrial port apparatuses and unspoiled shoreline and it's really rather lovely.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:04 AM »

Andrew, you have my deepest condolences.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »

I really, really hate business hotels. And modern cities. And especially business hotels in modern cities, no matter what country they're in.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies