Does it remain traces of the Loyalist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does it remain traces of the Loyalist party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does it remain traces of the Loyalist party?  (Read 410 times)
Colbert
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:43 AM »

(even if i'm not sure than the story of the american loyalists is studied on american schools of Patriotic America...)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »

Somewhat in Canada, where they emigrated as "United Empire Loyalists." Hardcore Loyalists didn't stick around the U.S.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »

Somewhat in Canada, where they emigrated as "United Empire Loyalists." Hardcore Loyalists didn't stick around the U.S.

But some did eventually come back.  I have loyalist ancestors who fled north for safety's sake, but their descendants later migrated west from Ontario into Michigan after the Civil War.  It helps explain why I'm not 100% sympathetic to the Tea Party.  My family history makes me skeptical of the claims tax protesters.  Just as was the case 250 years ago, they enjoy the benefits of the government they have but don't want to pay the taxes that makes it possible.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

The few who stayed generally shut up. The rest either returned to the UK or became Canadians. They say that a Canadian is an American who refuses to join the revolution.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »

The few who stayed generally shut up. The rest either returned to the UK or became Canadians. They say that a Canadian is an American who refuses to join the revolution.

About a third of the colonist were neutral, including several of my ancestors.  There is a lineage society for people that are descendents of loyalist and patriots, so some stayed.  http://loyalistsandpatriots.org/
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »

UELs in Canada vote heavily Tory, btw.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies