Let's discuss Mormonism. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:22:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Let's discuss Mormonism. (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Let's discuss Mormonism.  (Read 29869 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »

Do some consider the term "Mormon" derogatory? If so, is there another adjective used to describe a member of the LDS Church? You'll have to forgive me if this question has already been asked.

A few people still consider it derogatory, but the LDS Church itself has mostly embraced the term "Mormon" (see the "I'm a Mormon" videos for example), mostly because everybody is going to call us that anyway and it isn't really offensive. We still don't call ourselves Mormon or use it in member-to-member conversation, but I see it as a good shorthand.

We're officially Latter Day Saints, but that takes way too long to remember or say.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »

Sorry for bumping this thread after so long, but after the same-sex marriage ban going down in Utah, and the LDS Church saying that yes, the priesthood ban was racist, I thought this was about time to revive this thread.

So does anyone have any further questions about Mormonism?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »

Forgive me if I'm just flat-out incorrect here, but isn't it true that the LDS Church believes that Mormonism is more or less the same as the original practice of Christianity, ie the form of Christianity practiced between the Resurrection of Jesus and the Great Apostasy. Based on what is historically known about the earliest practice of Christianity, is that belief not historically inaccurate?

Oh it's no problem, ask away.

In any case, we believe that some beliefs were altered or misinterpreted by Christians after the Apostasy and we don't follow say, the Nicene Creed at all. We also focus on the practices found in the Book of Mormon and on modern policies (not doctrine, but institutional policies) we find helpful. Also, we are a church of continuing revelation while at the same time believing that we're a restoration of original principles. It's complicated, and possibly contradictory, but that's the way it is.

Also we believe that Joseph Smith was inspired to tweak a few words and passages here and there in the Bible to ensure that it was accurate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

So I'm listening to a podcast/reading a book about Elijah Abel, the first black priest in Mormonism. It's a very fascinating story.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 

I'll borrow the answer to that (and to whether we believe in aliens) from another Mormon on another forum:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

To add to that, most Mormons have the thought that since God is God of the entire universe and not just Earth, it makes no sense to only have life here.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »

So just to dust off this thread: the Church just had their General Conference weekend, and appointed about 42 new "area seventies" (regional leaders, basically) of a huge variety of nationalities.

Very interesting, and might be the sign of a new international push by the LDS Church.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 

There was a poll done some years ago, and Mormons along with Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelical Christians  had the lowest rates of belief in evolution among religious groups at around 25%.

We sort of believe in a guided evolution (intelligent design I guess you would call it). I personally believe in an Old Earth, with a very abstractly guided evolution.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2015, 03:19:57 AM »

So hey I'm back (in case you hadn't already seen) and I'm ready to discuss Mormonism some more. Come at me bros.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2015, 12:37:41 PM by Zioneer »

It's hit and miss. Some of the details are accurate, but a lot of it is portrayed in a misleading way.

One detail that I noticed was horribly inaccurate is that the video claims that Joseph Smith was the only one who saw the golden plates. That's not true, there were eleven others (two groups, known as the Three Witnesses and the Eight Witnesses respectively). And Joseph Smith's wife Emma.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »

It's hit and miss. Some of the details are accurate, but a lot of it is portrayed in a misleading way.

One detail that I noticed was horribly inaccurate is that the video claims that Joseph Smith was the only one who saw the golden plates. That's not true, there were eleven others (two groups, known as the Three Witnesses and the Eight Witnesses respectively). And Joseph Smith's wife Emma.

Weren't all the "witnesses" of the golden plates family, friends or financial backers of Joesph Smith?

And a bunch of the original followers of Muhammad were his friends or family. Your point?

Plus, even when about half had left the LDS Church, none of them denied seeing the plates, even when they were avowed enemies of Joseph Smith. Doesn't mean that they actually saw the plates, but the fact that they didn't say "yeah he made it all up" means something, no?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

This is an apologist website, but here's FairLDS's view on the Martin Harris issue.

And my point on Muhammad is that having family members and friends be major players in a religion is not a disqualifying issue. Sorry if I come off as hostile, I'm really not trying to be so.

Also, while he wasn't a witness to the golden plates, Sidney Rigdon (who began as hostile to Joseph Smith before his conversion), claimed that shared some of Joseph Smith's visions. Again, that doesn't have anything to do with their truthfulness, just pointing out that not all of the witnesses to early Mormon spiritual experiences started out as friends or family.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »

Do you (Zioneer or anyone else) see the Mormons no longer conceder themselves to be Christians within recent years like the Unitarians did?

No, not at all. We feel that our additional scriptures and expanded theology merely confirms the divinity of Christ. From Joseph Smith to Thomas S Monson (our current prophet) we've always believed that Christ is our Savior and that we are redeemed from our sins through him.

Even the "as man is, God once was, as God is man may become" theology is couched in the idea that a loving God will not deny us the capability to become as Christ. Not worshiped as he is, but with the power and foresight of Christ, if we are righteous enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies