78% of catholics believe McGreevey should receive communion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 12:59:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  78% of catholics believe McGreevey should receive communion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 78% of catholics believe McGreevey should receive communion  (Read 8177 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: May 31, 2004, 06:18:09 PM »

I'm all for that.  As long as he also won't give communion to any parishoner who votes for a pro-death-penalty politician.

The bible exactly says the state has the right to draw the sword on murderers. The bible is pro-death penalty.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:09:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Although I'm against the death penalty, death penalty isn't wrong. The church has practiced it in the past. But abortion is.

Even very recent Popes like John XXIII and Pius XII have said that the death penalty should be legal in some senerios.

My understanding is that under the papal infallibility doctrine, church doctrine changes with the current pope.  John Paul II has been a consistant death penalty opponent.

This is a problem with the Pope and the church in general. He has no biblical basis to be anti death penalty and teach it as doctrine. But I agree if the church refuses a person communion. If you join a organization and try to change the rules or say their rules are unfair should they serve you? Its pretty obvious.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 07:15:27 PM »

Although I'm against the death penalty, death penalty isn't wrong. The church has practiced it in the past. But abortion is.

Even very recent Popes like John XXIII and Pius XII have said that the death penalty should be legal in some senerios.

My understanding is that under the papal infallibility doctrine, church doctrine changes with the current pope.  John Paul II has been a consistant death penalty opponent.

It doesn't change with each Pope.  Clearly your understnading of the Papal Infallibility doctrine is wrong.  The only time the Pope can claim infallibility is when he is speaking from the chair of Peter, in Rome in concert with the rest of the bishops and for the Church as a whole.  The words "We define..." must be used.  John Paul II has never done this.  Outside of those peramiters, Papal Infallibility doesn't exist.

OK...but can someone explain to be how being anti-abortion is officially part of church doctrine but being anti-death penalty is not?

Because the bible says to defend innocent life and Jesus said that babies and Children are the closest thing to the face of God. The death penalty is allowed by the bible. The bible just says not to make rash judgement. People forget that the whole quote is, "Judge not lest ye be judged, for in the manner in which you judge you shall be judged by my Father."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:29:17 PM »

It doesn't change with each Pope.  Clearly your understnading of the Papal Infallibility doctrine is wrong.  The only time the Pope can claim infallibility is when he is speaking from the chair of Peter, in Rome in concert with the rest of the bishops and for the Church as a whole.  The words "We define..." must be used.  John Paul II has never done this.  Outside of those peramiters, Papal Infallibility doesn't exist.

OK...but can someone explain to be how being anti-abortion is officially part of church doctrine but being anti-death penalty is not?

Because the bible says to defend innocent life and Jesus said that babies and Children are the closest thing to the face of God. The death penalty is allowed by the bible. The bible just says not to make rash judgement. People forget that the whole quote is, "Judge not lest ye be judged, for in the manner in which you judge you shall be judged by my Father."

But Catholics are not fundamentalist in terms of biblical interpretation.  Doctrine is usually not justified on the basis of specific bible passages.

Then they are wrong, plain and simple. The bible says neither to add or detract from it and to do so you will be accursed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 11:39:48 PM »

Anyhow, I'm catholic and part of the 78% for sure.  "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."  BTW, I was taught in Sunday School that is was illegal to deny any Catholic communion.  So any priest/bishop that does should be punished.

Where is their any such "law". If a person is not living the proper Catholic lifestyle no priest is "required" to give them communion.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 08:30:18 AM »

Anyhow, I'm catholic and part of the 78% for sure.  "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."  BTW, I was taught in Sunday School that is was illegal to deny any Catholic communion.  So any priest/bishop that does should be punished.

Where is their any such "law". If a person is not living the proper Catholic lifestyle no priest is "required" to give them communion.

a priest isn't an ultimate authority on morality.  God can deal with sinners; it's not up for us to decide.

Wrong. The bible does set the standards for dealing with sinners. And we are allowed to keep certain sinners out of the church. The  bible is the ultimate earthly authority on morality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies