Ahnuld amendment: chances of passing? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:45:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ahnuld amendment: chances of passing? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ahnuld amendment: chances of passing?  (Read 26590 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: November 26, 2003, 02:45:25 PM »

I would support this amendment, not because of any adoration of Arnold, but because I think it fundamentally right to make naturalized citizens full members of our society. One does not choose their first homeland. It is an accident of birth. Yet one can choose to renounce that country because of a new-found allegiance to this one. If someone comes here, often against intense odds, puts the effort in to become a citizen, and wishes to lead after 20 years, that should be our right. It's a simple part of our national ethic of acceptance.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 08:39:05 PM »

I cannot understand what all this talk about radical change. This is an amendment to a minor clause of our Constitution and would in no way lead to a siege of its general spirit. When some quarters reiterate that the document is over 200 years old, that's precisely the point. The Constitution should be a document in keeping with the ideals of a people, not a legal museum preserving the now inapposite views of Madison and Jefferson. It's a needed change if we have the chutzpah to call ourselves a fair society.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 09:36:34 AM »

I don't care for all of the amendments he's wanted to tack onto the Constitution, like the Human Life Federalism Amendment, and the Flag Burning Amendment, but this one is a good idea. Even though feeding him to a rabid pitbull would be an amusing thing to do on a dull Friday night.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies