Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:23:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 186201 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »
« edited: August 09, 2011, 09:29:44 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

November 6th, 1984
Election Day:

It was Election Day 1984.  Millions of Americans would go to the voting booths to cast their votes for President and other offices.  In the state of Montana there would be the race of Governor as well as races for the US Senate for Max Baucus old seat and the three House seats.  The day would be an unseasonably warm day for November in the western part of the state with temperatures in the mid 60's and mostly sunny skies in Missoula, Butte, and Helena.....quite a difference from the horrendous early winter that was going on in November 1982.
As a result of the unusually pleasant weather in most of western Montana turnout would be at record highs throughout the western part of the state, especially in the areas surrounding Flathead Lake.  All of this would prove to be extraordinary news for the Westman/D'Israeli ticket, who would win a shocking nine point victory over the Conservative ticket:

Governor-Elect Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Lieutenant Governor-Elect Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 45.81%
CPA Michael Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Dr. Julian Masters 36.34%
Governor Richard Peters (Republican-Circle)/Lieutenant Governor Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 17.25%
Other: .6%

The ticket's popular vote victory would be even more than that of the Conservative Presidential ticket of President Crane and Vice President Ray Hutchison, who would win 41.15% of the state's voters.  Many pundits would declare that the "Westman Era" had begun with a clear mandate, as the ticket had won clear mandates in historically non-Democratic counties, namely a 53.12% vote victory in comfortably Republican Flathead County (the last time Flathead County went Democratic was in 1976 when Westman first ran for US Senate, though it voted against Democratic President Ronald Reagan) and a 48.91% victory in Yellowstone County (which is usually pretty Republican for a mostly urban county in Montana).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #576 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »

Let's see that Presidential map!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #577 on: August 09, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »

MacMahon Suites in Billings, Montana
8:25 PM, Mountain Standard Time:

Scott Westman and Mendelik D'Israeli arrive on stage with Brea Westman and Lena D'Israeli (Mendelik's wife) in front of a crowd of members of the press and some campaign volunteers.  Westman comes up to the microphone and starts talking:

Westman: You know, I've been talking way too much on this campaign trail so I kind of figured, y'know, maybe for once I'll give the mic to my running mate on this momentous occasion.  Because damn it to Hell I don't want to say the usual cliched "I won" speech.  With that said LADIES AND GENTLEMEN GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THE WORLD'S BEST RUNNING MATE IN HISTORY......MENDELIK JOHANUSEN D'ISRAELI!
The audience and Westman clap as the 6'2" Mendelik D'Israeli takes the mic.  Not knowing what to expect, Westman stands next to his daughter as Mendelik tries to think of something to say.
D'Israeli: Well uh....gee uh...I guess I want to take this opportunity to immediately thank Scott for offering me this opportunity to run on one of the most bipartisan and open tickets in the history of not only this state but of this nation.
Campaign workers cheer enthusiastically.
D'Israeli: I'll be real honest I didn't have any idea I was going to speak but I'll be damned if I don't thank all of the campaign workers, both Democratic and Republican, who worked around the clock to make this dream possible.  It gives me great honor to have run on this ticket with a man like Scott Westman and to have gotten to know his family and his friends on this great journey.  Of note I would especially like to thank his lovely daughter Brea, who worked tireless hours for her father's campaign even while pursuing her education.  I would also like to thank Carl Herschelwitz who has got to be the most underrated campaign managers in this nation.  I have never met one who was more loyal, more dedicated, and more thorough in his duties as a manager than Carl.  He is the muscle behind this campaign, if it weren't for him we probably would've been destroyed in the election.
Carl Herschelwitz stands up and waves as the audience gives him a round of applause.
D'Israeli: I would also like to thank my wife Lena, for being by my side through this entire campaign and for being the best damn cookie cutter in the world.  She was the glue that held together the morale of this campaign with her rum flavored ginger bread cookies and she is perhaps the most devoted wife I've ever known.  And yes I may be biased, but in my defense my experience is quite limited.  Behind every strong man there is a strong woman, and by god she is my strong woman.  Thank you and God Bless you for your vote.
Audience gives an enthusiastic clap as D'Israeli steps down and Brea Westman takes the stage.
Brea: Whoo!  That was a great speech!  Anyway, right now we are holding a post election party in the Tralee Event Center that is located on the north side of the hotel.
This is gonna be an interesting four years, Westman thought.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #578 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2011, 06:10:05 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

Presidential Election Season 1984:

The Presidential Election Season of 1984 would be a mostly uneventful election.  Due to a stable economy and a lack of foreign entanglements or conflicts President Crane's first term in office was judged to be a strong one.  The Democratic and Republican Party tickets would see record low turnouts due to disinterest among the party bases.  It is the opinion of many that the Election of 1984 was such a blowout not because Crane was excessively popular or was the most charismatic leader (he really wasn't), but that the Democratic and Republican candidates were "amongst the most dull and uninspiring in the history of presidential candidates."  Many would call Fred Harris "Walter Mondale MK. II" due to his inability to create real excitement in the general election field.
Michael Harrison would do worse, with many people buying bumper stickers asking "Who the Hell is Michael Harrison?" during the 1984 Election Season.  Most of this was due to the perception that there wasn't any real difference between Harrison and Crane except that Harrison would've planted a tree on Earth Day.  Harrison’s poor showing in 1984 indicated that a large amount of Republicans, mostly conservatives and some libertarians, voted for Crane instead of the party line in 1984.  Only Washington, Vermont, Maine, and Wyoming would vote Republican, mostly out of identity politics than actual support for the GOP ticket.  Such crushing realities would make the GOP ticket of 1984 the worst popular vote performance in the history of the party.
As a result, the 1984 Election Map would be a blow out election for Crane with the best Electoral College Vote showings since 1936:

Electoral Map
November 6th, 1984:

President Philip Crane (Conservative-Illinois)/Vice President Ray Hutchison (Conservative-Texas) 48.41% Popular Vote 450 Electoral Votes
Former US Senator Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma)/US Senator Daniel Lynch 32.41% Popular Vote 61 Electoral Votes
US Representative Michael Harrison (Republican-California)/US Senator Harry Callahan (Republican-Washington) 16.03% Popular Vote 27 Electoral Votes
Other: 3.15%

Also of note, the Constitution Party would run former Vice President Jesse Helms on it's ticket.  Due to the extreme rhetoric of Helms the party would see it's vote counts a fraction of what it was in 1980.  It seemed that President Crane took all of the party's momentum with him when he left in 1982.
Marxist Leninist Senator Beauregard D'Israeli would run on a third party ticket in his home state of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.  Many would consider his "Marxist Leninist" ticket to be a joke, though he did manage to get a little over 25,000 votes.  Many to this day wonder if he really went apesh*t, or if he was just trolling the electorate.

It should be noted that Philip Crane's popular vote percentage wasn't exactly the highest.  In fact, despite his strong EC performance Crane didn't even win a majority of the Popular Vote.  This would gain him many similarities to Woodrow Wilson, a man who won election to the Presidency in a landslide electoral vote while only winning 41% of the popular vote.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #579 on: August 09, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

The Post-Interview
November 6th, 1984
11:45 PM, MST:

ABC Interviewer Diane Sawyer is in Scott Westman's Hotel Room sitting on one of the beds facing him with a microphone.
Sawyer: Hello this is Diane Sawyer here with Montana Governor-Elect Scott Westman at his hotel room at the MacMahon Suites in Billings, Montana.  So Governor, now that you've been elected what are you going to do?
Westman chuckles then he pulls out his cigarette pack.
Westman: Want one?
Sawyer: No thanks.
Westman pulls out a cigarette and lights it.  After taking a puff he turns back toward Sawyer.
Westman: I'm going to go to Disney Land.  And then hopefully sometime this month have sex with me wife.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #580 on: August 09, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »

Well, it has to be said:

I just completed yet another major storyline arc.

Next Update: Gubernatorial Race Results State by State 1984
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #581 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »

Oh ye-ah, uh-huh, we-did-it, we-did-it!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #582 on: August 09, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »

Such crushing realities would make the GOP ticket of 1984 the worst performance for the GOP in history.

Unless the POD is earlier than 1912, the Republicans did worse in 1912 in the EV, tho not the PV.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #583 on: August 09, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »

Such crushing realities would make the GOP ticket of 1984 the worst performance for the GOP in history.

Unless the POD is earlier than 1912, the Republicans did worse in 1912 in the EV, tho not the PV.

Noted.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #584 on: August 09, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »

Gubernatorial Races 1984

Light shade=gain
Dark shade=retain

Arkansas: GOP State Chairman Michael G. Bubble (Republican) defeats incumbent Larry Stevens (Democratic)
Delaware: Incumbent Pierre J. Dumass (Republican) defeats Injury Lawyer Arnold Schuweimar (Democratic)
Indiana: US Senator Richard Lugar (Republican) defeats Indianapolis Mayor Richie K. Cunningham (Democratic)
Maine: Maine Secretary of State Peter Snowe (Republican) defeats State Senator Philip R. Keagle (Democratic)
Missouri: US Senator Thomas Eagleton (Democratic) defeats Former US Senator John Danforth (Republican)
Montana: Former US Senator Scott Westman (Democratic) defeats incumbent Richard Peters (Republican) and CPA Michael Oglesby (Conservative)
New Hampshire: Incumbent John H. Sununu (Republican) defeats Former US Senator Keegan R. Adler (Democratic)
North Carolina: US Representative Robert L. Nolstrom (Republican) defeats Incumbent Nelbert K. Doobie (Constitution) and Former State Attorney General Robet K. Nahum (Democratic)
North Dakota: Incumbent Allen I. Olson (Republican) defeats Bismarck Doctor Steffen L. Dobbels (Democratic)
Rhode Island: US Senator John Chafee (Republican) defeats Donovan T. Smith (Democratic)
Utah: Incumbent Norman H. Bangerter (Republican) defeats US Representative Roger K. Shepherd (Democratic)
Vermont: US Representative James "Jim" Jeffords (Republican) defeats Burlington Mayor Kathleen J. Patrick (Democratic)
Washington: Washington Secretary of State Harrison J. Fitzpatrick defeats Former Seattle Mayor Robin T. Wellers (Republican)
West Virginia: Gerald B. Taylor (Republican) defeats State Senator Danielle R. Jackson (Democratic)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #585 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »

1984 Montana Gubernatorial election results, Copyright Dallasfan

I believe that seems about right.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #586 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2011, 08:12:27 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

Flashforward
March 14th, 1986
Helena, Montana:

Why me, God, why me?
Scott Westman thought as he contemplated what had been brought before him.  Of all the Governors of Montana he was the one who had been given the power to ultimately decide this issue once and for all.  There was a part of him that was screaming for the veto, yet there was another part of him that wasn't so sure.  A part of him that had a feeling of regret, of pain, of what he once advocated.  A part of him that felt, in his heart, that this bill was ultimately the right thing to do.  That thousands of lives would literally depend on how he acted on this.
The worst part of all though was he had no idea how he should feel about this.
It would prove to be the toughest decision in his political career up to that point.  And no matter how he decided on the issue, somebody would hold a grudge against him for the rest of his political life.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #587 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »

It's abortion, isn't it?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #588 on: August 09, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2011, 07:09:19 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

January 3rd, 1985
Helena, Montana
State Capitol:

Governor Scott Westman approaches the podium before a gathering of both houses of the state legislature.  With a majority Democratic representation he felt pretty confident of passing the raises he promised the public unions, but you never know until you try.
Westman: Greetings members of the State Legislature.  Today I got a most humble of request before you.  For the past four years the great workers of this state's government have been given the backhand when we should've been extending an olive branch.  The workers of this government are long overdue for a raise in their salaries, nothing more, nothing less.  What I want is a bill to be passed that gives these men and women who serve our state with dignity and high standing a decent raise of at least $25 a week.  That is all.
To Westman's astonishment by the end of the week a bill would be pushed by Republican House member John Bohlinger that proposed raising the weekly salary of state workers by $50 a week.  This would in effect give state workers over $200 more a month in take home salaries.  To Westman's astonishment a fair number of Republicans would support the bill, as would the entire Democratic caucus in the House and Senate.  Most of this support had come from traditionally pro-labor Republicans, leftovers from the era of the Borahs and the LaFollettes.

Note: Inflation wasn't anywhere as high as it was in our timeline.  Reagan, as bad as his term was, didn't have to deal with the double digit inflation that Ford and Carter had to deal with IRL.  As a result the dollar is a bit stronger.  So $217.25 more per month would be like $1500 IRL 2010 US Dollars.  Yeah, Westman isn't as anti-labor as you thought, was he?

The bill, however, would be denounced by a number of members of the Montana House and Senate.  Notably a lot of Westman's cross party allies when he was running for Governor would decry Westman's sudden pro-labor sympathies, calling his bill "an extreme handout to organized labor that would raise a lot of government workers' salaries by a third to even a half of their monthly salary!"  Westman would defend his position, arguing that he was restoring the lost wages taken from state workers by the Peters Administration.  Due to positioning himself as a pro-labor Governor right at the start of his tenure many labor organizations from around the state would praise Scott Westman for "seeing the light about workers' rights".
Fiscal and Economic conservatives and libertarians, however, were livid.  Many saw it as a betrayal of the trust that fi-cons put into the Westman/D'Israeli ticket under the impression that Scott Westman was for reductions in government spending (including wages for state workers).  With Westman pushing for wage increases for state workers right out of the gate, many of Westman's more conservative supporters felt like they were stabbed in the back and used so Westman could get into office and promote an economically progressive agenda.
In other words, they felt dubbed because they thought that Scott Westman would operate differently than "just another Democrat".
Scott Westman would try to reason with his critics that in the current environment that giving some to labor in the short run would ultimately help his agenda in the long run.  The results were mixed.  Some accepted his reasoning and decided, against their better judgement, to vote for Bohlinger's bill.  The end result would be a 58% majority in the House and a very slim 52% majority in the Senate.
Scott Westman would have his first legislative victory.  However, after Westman signed the Bohlinger Bill on January 30th, 1985 his Lieutenant Governor Mendelik D'Israeli would refuse to talk to him for the next month.
It had seemed as if though Scott Westman, a month into his governorship, already had to fix some bridges.......
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #589 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2011, 12:15:25 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

US Senate:

US Senate as of November 6th, 1984:

Alabama:
Class 2: Howell T. Heflin (Constitution)
Class 3: Jeremiah Denton (Constitution)

Alaska:
Class 2: Nick Begich (Democratic), appointed to fill US Senate seat by Governor Gravel after the death of Republican Senator Ted Stevens in an airplane wreck in late 1983.
Class 3: Walter Hickel (Alaska Independence Party), joined AIP in 1983
Arizona:
Class 1: Morris Udall (Democratic)
Class 3: Barry Goldwater (Republican)
Arkansas:
Class 2: William J. Clinton (Democratic)
Class 3: William Clark (Constitution)
California:
Class 1: Ricardo Montalban(Republican)
Class 3: Michael V. Hawk (Republican)

Colorado:
Class 2: Carlos Mendez(Republican)
Class 3: Mary E. Buchanan (Republican)

Connecticut:
Class 1: Lowell P. Weicker (Republican)
Class 3: Christopher J. Dodd (Democratic)
Delaware:
Class 1: William V. Roth (Republican)
Class 2: Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (Democratic)
Florida:
Class 1: Paula Hawkins (Republican)
Class 3: Roy Holland (Constitution)
Georgia:
Class 2: Fletcher Thompson (Constitution)
Class 3: Mack Mattingly (Constitution)

Hawaii:
Class 1: Spark M. Matsunga (Democratic)
Class 3: Don Djou (Republican)
Idaho:
Class 2: James A. McClure (Republican)
Class 3: Steve Symms (Constitution)
Illinois:
Class 2: Farley H. Murray (Democratic)
Class 3: Daniel Crane (Republican)
Indiana:
Class 1: Richard Lugar (Republican)
Class 3: Collins McCarn (Conservative)
Iowa:
Class 2: John Kyl (Republican)
Class 3: Mark Gladden (Conservative)
Kansas:
Class 2: Robert J. Dole (Republican)
Class 3: Larry Winn (Constitution)
Kentucky:
Class 2: Walter Huddleston (Constitution)
Class 3: Gene Snyder (Constitution)

Louisiana:
Class 2: Moon Landrieu (Democratic)
Class 3: Joe D. Waggonner (Constitution)
Maine:
Class 1: Roger J. Braddock (Democratic
Class 2: William Cohen (Republican)
Maryland:
Class 1: Sargent Shriver (Democratic)
Class 3: Charles Matthias (Republican)
Massachusetts:
Class 1: Daniel M. Lynch(Democratic)
Class 2: William Saltonstall (Republican)
Michigan:
Class 1: Lenore Romney (Republican)
Class 2: Henry Claymore (Democratic)
Minnesota:
Class 1: Peter F. Federov (DFL)
Class 2: Walter Mondale (DFL)

Mississippi:
Class 1: Roy Deagles (Dixiecrat), predecessor died in office.
Class 2: Trent Lott (Dixiecrat), ditto.

Missouri:
Class 1: Adrian Moore (Democratic)
Class 3: Thomas Eagleton (Democratic)

Montana:
Class 1: David Walters (Conservative)
Class 2: Max Baucus (Democratic)
Nebraska:
Class 1: Virginia Smith (Republican)
Class 2: Paul Mercanti (Republican)
Nevada:
Class 1: Mike O'Callaghan (Democratic)
Class 3: Paul Laxalt (Republican)
New Hampshire:
Class 2: Thaddeus Michaels (Republican)
Class 3: Warren Rudman (Republican)

New Jersey:
Class 1: Augustus J. Donnelly (Democratic)
Class 2: Bill Bradley (Democratic)

New Mexico:
Class 1: Raul Ramirez (Democratic)
Class 2: Harrison Schmitt (Republican)
New York:
Class 1: Daniel P. Moynihan (Democratic)
Class 3: David P. Killian (Democratic)

North Carolina:
Class 2: Bradley Moore (Constitution)
Class 3: John P. East (Constitution)

North Dakota:
Class 1: Robert Stroup (Republican)
Class 3: Anthony Williams (Constitution)
Ohio:
Class 1: Robert Taft Jr. (Republican)
Class 3: Stephen Dieckers (Republican), appointed by Governor Michael Stephenson after death of Senator John Glenn.  Special Election scheduled on Election Day 1984.
Oklahoma:
Class 2: James Robert Jones (Democratic)
Class 3: Don Nickles (Constitution)
Oregon:
Class 2: Mark Hatfield (Republican)
Class 3: Robert Packwood (Republican)

Pennsylvania:
Class 1: H. John Heinz III (Republican)
Class 3: Lawrence Watson (Democratic)
Rhode Island:
Class 1: John Chafee (Republican)
Class 2: Ruth M. Briggs (Republican)

South Carolina:
Class 2: Strom Thurmond (Constitution)
Class 3: Charlie Rhodes (Constitution)

South Dakota:
Class 2: Larry Pressler (Republican)
Class 3: Sean O'Brien (Conservative)
Tennessee:
Class 1: John Duncan, Sr. (Republican)
Class 2: Howard Baker (Republican)

Texas:
Class 1: Ronald E. Paul (Republican)
Class 2: James Wright (Democratic)
Utah:
Class 1: Orrin Hatch (Republican)
Class 3: Quentin Maxwell (Conservative)
Vermont:
Class 1: Major Derrick (Democratic)
Class 3: Richard W. Mallary (Republican)
Virginia:
Class 1: John Warner (Republican)
Class 2: Tobin MacMahon (Democratic)
Washington:
Class 1: Allan B. Swift (Democratic)
Class 3: Harry Callahan (Republican)
West Virginia:
Class 1: Robert Byrd (Democratic)
Class 2: Alan Mollohan (Democratic)

Wisconsin:
Class 1: Tommy Thompson (Republican)
Class 3: William R. Goodman (Republican)

Wyoming:
Class 1: Alan K. Simpson (Republican)
Class 2: Beauregard D'Israeli (Marxist-Leninist)

That would make the composition:

Republicans: 43 Seats
Democrats: 31 Seats
Constitution: 19 Seats
Conservative/AIP: 6 Seats
Marxist-Leninist: 1 Seat
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2011, 12:17:09 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

US Senate Election Results 1984:

Senate Composition before Election:
Note: bold emphasizes "coalition control"

Republicans: 43 Seats
Constitution: 19 Seats
Conservative: 6 Seats
Democratic: 31 Seats
Marxist Leninist: 1 Seat

The place that usually represents DC is used to represent the results of the Special Election for Mississippi Senate Class 1.

Senate Composition After Election:

Republican: 45 (+2)
Constitution: 13 Seats (-6)
Conservative: 6 Seats (no net change)
Democrats: 36 Seats (+5)
Marxist Leninist: Gone the way of the Dodo

State by State results:

Alabama: Incumbent Senator Howell Heflin (Constitution) retains
Alaska: Incumbent Nick Begich (Democratic) retains
Arkansas: Incumbent William J. Clinton (Democratic) retains
Colorado: Environmentalist Mark Udall (Democratic) defeats Incumbent Carlos Mendes (Republican)
Georgia: Accountant Patrick R. Geary (Democratic) defeats Incumbent Fletcher Thompson (Constitution)
Idaho: Incumbent James A. McClure (Republican) retains
Illinois: Incumbent Farley H. Murray (Democratic) retains
Iowa: Incumbent Jon Kyl (Republican) retains
Kansas: Incumbent Robert J. Dole (Republican) retains
Kentucky: Judge Mitch McConnell (Republican) defeats Incumbent Walter Huddleston (Constitution)
Louisiana: Incumbent Moon Landrieu (Democratic) retains
Maine: Incumbent William Cohen (Republican) retains
Massachusetts: Incumbent William Saltonstall (Republican) retains
Michigan: Detroit Mayor Frederick N. Fassbender (Democratic) defeats Governor Fred Stone (Republican)* (seat retain for Democrats)
Minnesota: Lieutenant Governor Paul K. Vernor (Republican) defeats US Representative Malcolm Little (Democratic)* (seat gain for Republicans)
Mississippi Special: Civil Rights and Pro-life activist Robert Jarrell (Republican) defeats Incumbent Roy Deagles (Dixiecrat)
Mississippi: Biloxi County Judge Helm Mundstream defeats Incumbent Trent Lott (Dixiecrat)
Montana: US Representative Killian S. Darkwater defeats Captain Calvin Clidge (Republican) and State House Representative Karl Hoeven (Conservative)** (seat retain for Democrats)
Nebraska: Incumbent Paul Mercanti (Republican) retains
New Hampshire: Incumbent Thaddeus Michaels (Republican) retains
New Jersey: Incumbent Bill Bradley (Democratic) retains
New Mexico: Incumbent Harrison Schmitt (Republican) retains
North Carolina: Lawyer Harvey Gantt (Democratic) defeats Incumbent Bradley Moore (Constitution)
Ohio Special Election: US Representative Tony P. Hall (Democratic) defeats incumbent Stephen Dieckers (Republican)
Oklahoma: Tulsa Mayor Frank Keating (Republican) defeats Incumbent James Robert Jones
Oregon: Senate Majority Leader Mark O. Hatfield (Republican) retains
Rhode Island: Rhode Island Secretary of State Edie L. Flnneran (Democratic) defeats Incumbent Ruth M. Brigs (Republican)
South Carolina: State Senator Joseph J. Tierney (Democratic) defeats Incumbent Strom Thurmond (Dixiecrat)
South Dakota: Incumbent Larry Pressler (Republican) retains
Tennessee: Incumbent Howard Baker (Republican) retains
Texas: Incumbent James Wright (Democratic) retains
Virginia: Senate Minority Leader Tobin MacMahon (Democratic) retains
West Virginia: Robert K. O'Delahey (Republican) defeats Incumbent Alan Mollohan (Democratic)
Wyoming: Governor Wilhelm L. Reuters (Republican) defeats State Senate Minority Leader Joshua W. Gerolwitz (Democratic)**

*Incumbent retired
**Incumbent ineligible for re-election due to other factors (like running in a primary for another office)

The shockingly strong Democratic performances across the nation during a Presidential year would alarm the Coalition, who expected the Crane wave to carry many conservatives to office.  Rather, the lack of any mandate on the Congressional race would indicate that people were disillusioned with the direction of the country.  Millions of citizens who would vote in Phil Crane for President would also vote Democrats into the US Senate and House in 1984, an indication that perhaps the Crane Revolution might be on it's way out.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #591 on: August 10, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2011, 12:25:03 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

US House before 1984 Election:

Republican: 223 Seats (+18)
Constitution: 38 Seats (-23)
Conservative: 43 (+23)
Democratic: 134 Seats (+3)
Bold is for Coalition Control

Notes:

In the aftermath of the Constitution Party's nomination of Jesse Helms a large number of Constitution party members (mostly in the Northeast and Midwest) would defect to the Conservative Party.
The Moderate Reform Party, satisfied with the GOP ticket would disband and go back to the Republican Party.  A few more progressive members, however, would move to the Democratic Party.  The Party was doomed to fail, in light of it's limited regional appeal (the party was mostly Northeastern WASP).

After Congressional Elections:

Republican: 218 Seats(-5)
Constitution: 22 Seats (-16)
Conservative: 52 Seats(+9)
Democratic: 146 Seats (+12)

The Democratic Party had officially become the "Party of the Opposition".
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #592 on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2011, 09:20:54 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

February 28th, 1985:

Scott Westman is in his office when he picks up the ringing telephone.
Westman: Hello?
Lena D'Israeli: Hey Scott this is Lena.
Westman: Oh hey!  How's it going!?  It feels like it's been forever.
Lena: Meh tell me about it.  So, what're you doing right now?
Westman: Well sh*t, nothin'.  Been doing nothin' for like a week now.  I kind of wonder what the point is being Governor now.  Seems like I don't do sh*t.
Lena: Y'know Mendelik is still really mad at you for that labor vote.
Westman: You sh*tting me?  Why are all the men in that family such little bitches?
Lena: The f*** if I know.  What I'm wondering is what kind of mad woman decides to marry into their family.  Apparently this one.
Westman: So what's up?
Lena: You wanna come over and smoke some dope?
It had been awhile for Westman (smoking dope, of course) so the answer was pretty immediate.
Westman: Hell yes I want to smoke some dope!

10 Minutes Later

Westman pulls up into the driveway and sees a woman come out of the house.  Late thirties, jet black hair, with a flannel shirt and jeans......vintage Lena.  Lena D'Israeli was totally unlike any woman married into politics: artistic, laid back, and a pot head.  Lena D'Israeli was the type of woman more at home smoking weed and painting abstract paintings than she was attending expensive functions and buying eight hundred dollar dresses.  Westman walks up to her and shakes her hand.
Westman: How's it going?
Lena: Meh, Mendelik's a little busy.
Westman: Doing what!?  He's the Lieutenant Governor!  All his job description is to wake up, read the newspaper, see if I'm still alive, smoke some weed, have sex and then go back to sleep!  How hard is that?  Even I don't slack off that much!
Lena: Whatever.  Just come inside, we need to talk.

20 Minutes Later:

Westman:
Sh*t this is some good dope you got here Lena.  Where'd you get it?
Lena laughs and then points to a place in the kitchen.  Westman notices a UV light hanging over a table.  It was then that he noticed the plants.
Westman: Sh*t, you guys are hardcore.
Lena: There is more in the greenhouse.  Maybe you can take some home for you and your wife.  YOu know spice up your sex life?
Westman: That is hilarious Lena.  All I ever feel like doing is talk about philosophy when I'm high, definitely not have sex.
Lena: Anyway listen Mendelik is still really pissed about what happened.
Westman: Your husband is a little bitch, what else is new?
Lena: Truth is I think he's planning on resigning.  He's gone over to talk to Beauregard about something.  And you know that any conversation with that ole crazy f*** won't go over well.  I really think you should talk to him.
Westman: Big deal it was one vote.  If he's going to go into drama queen mode I won't bother.
Lena: Please Scott, you guys need each other.  For this state, and maybe even for the whole damn country.  It just wouldn't make sense after all you guys went through last year.  I believed in you guys.  You can't give up on him now.
Westman: Okay fine.  I'll talk to Mister Drama Queen.  But now, how about we catch up on old times?
Lena: Sounds great!
Westman: Man did you see that one episode of the A-Team where they are fighting the Columbian drug lord and Christopher Walken rips his f***ing head off!  My balls exploded just watching that!
Lena: Bullsh*t man!  That didn't happen!
Westman: Huh yes it did!  I saw it with my own beady eyes!  Christopher Walken walked over and ripped his head off like he was lifting a hood from his sweater!
Lena: You're so full of sh*t Scott!  That is almost as ridiculous as Iron Butterfly's Persian Democracy!  How long have they been working on that sh*t!?  Five years!?  My ass it'll ever come out.
Westman: Or how about Godfather Part IV?  That one has been in the works for six years now!
Lena: Well what'd you expect?  It seems like they've been spending years trying to convince John Cazale to come back for $2 million!  That's insane!  I mean the third one was a masterpiece when it came out in 1978 with Fredo Corleone taking over the family after the Ferligino Mafia killed Michael.  Which is ironically perfect timing considering that Al Pacino, perhaps the greatest young actor of a whole generation, died in 1979 after a drug overdose.
Westman: Truth.  I just wish they would hurry their ass up with the production.  Been waiting for that movie for over six years now....what takes people so long now days?
Lena: Well you know what they say?
Westman: What?
Lena: The sequels are never as good as the first.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #593 on: August 10, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »

I wish Christopher Walken had guested on the A-Team. His interactions with Dwight Schultz alone would've been worth it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #594 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 03:09:37 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

Another Flashforward Entry
CNN News
July 18th, 1987:

Potential Democratic Presidential candidates have been lining up left and right over the past month or so to run against the Vice President or other possible Republican contenders.  However, there seems to be a lot of buzz lately about the 42 year old Governor of the Big Sky State of Montana Scott Westman possibly making a run for the office next year due to his popularity and charisma amongst Mountain West voters.  The Montana Governor, with his handsome Hollywood like presence and youthfulness, his sympathies for libertarianism, and his status as a hero of western America could make him one hell of a Presidential nominee in 1988.  However, there is also speculation that Westman might throw his support behind Arizona Senator Morris Udall, a mentor of his and a fellow western Democrat, instead of run for the Presidency with only one term as Governor under his belt.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2011, 11:04:18 PM by Cathcon »

Was Westman only like 35 or 36 when he ran for VP? Are the Dems still bitter about him running for VP in 1980? Also, what happened to the Classic Liberals? Did the Constitution Party nominate someone for President?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 03:20:26 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

Was Westman only like 35 or 36 when he ran for VP? Are the Dems still bitter about him running for VP in 1980? Also, what happened to the Classic Liberals? Did the Constitution Party nominate someone for President?

Westman was 35 years old when he ran as VP for the Classical Liberal Party.
Since lack of progressive turn out pretty much doomed Westman in his re-election for the US Senate in 1982 many Democrats have felt like they have "humbled" Scott Westman for his decision to run on a third party ticket.  Some of Westman's decisions, like raising the pay for state government officials a few weeks after taking power, have lessened some of the initial progressive outrage against him.
The Classical Liberal Party is still around, but have been significantly worse than when Westman ran as VP in 1980.  1980 was pretty much their zenith year and they never really had any chance of being a major party in Congress or whatever.
The Constitution Party nominated Jesse Helms and some guy to run in 1984.  Due to Helms just saying "f*** it" and using extreme race baiting tactics many people left the Constitution Party in 1984 (check out my entries for the Congressional results in 1984) for the young Conservative Party.  Due to the popularity of Phil Crane the Constitution Party had their worst year in history (both electorally and pv wise).
As for 1987, I haven't got as far as having them nominate somebody for President.  Hell, I'm still working on the Congressional Results for 1986.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #597 on: August 11, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 01:31:35 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

Warning: Westman goes uncensored.

March 2nd, 1985
D'Israeli Ranch
Natrona County, Wyoming:

Westman:
Look man, my time is valuable alright?  I don't take 5 and a half hour drives down here for no reason alright?  Sure it's a Friday but still man come on.
M. D'Israeli: Well I ran for months with a teammate who I thought wouldn't sell his soul to labor his first month into office.
Westman: Ladehfucckindaw!  I'm a damn Democrat, alright?  What the hell did you expect me to do?  Start enacting the Von Mises policy platform immediately into office?  I made labor a promise Mendelik and I had to keep it.  I signed the biggest salary increase for Montana State workers in history, you realize how many YEARS of quiet I just bought for us?  They may talk tough about working conditions and sheyit like that but in the end it all comes down to Uncle Moe Greene, ya'dig?
Beauregard D'Israeli, former US Senator from Wyoming and Mendelik's cousin, comes into the den holding two drinks.  He hands a Michael Collins Irish Whiskey with Viettergardk Swedish Vodka and Coke to Scott Westman while he takes a Bacardi and Coke.
B. D'Israeli: Dude, stop being a little bitch.
Westman: Seriously man?  What about all of that Marxist-Leninist bullshit you were preaching in the Senate last year?  Is your memory running short these days?
Beauregard laughs.
B. D'Israeli: Oh yeah, that was all bullshit.
Westman: It was?
Beauregard laughs again.
B. D'Israeli: Yes it was.  I just wanted to see the look on Steve Symms face.
All three men crack up.
M. D'Israeli: By the way asshole, you owe me $10.
Westman: $10?  What the hell for?
M. D'Israeli: Remember when I said that I bet Beauregard was trolling?  Yeah, fork it over, bitch.
Westman: Hey wait a minute Sir Fucko!  I don't the hell remember betting $10 fucking dollars for that shit!  You fuckin take that back!  You fuckin' take that back!
M. D'Israeli: The way I look at it DeNiro (inside joke between the two men) you bet me $5-
Westman: My fuckin' point exactly!  I knew I didn't bet no fuckin' ten dollars!
M. D'Israeli: Ease on the jets Raging Bull.  Hear me out.  I figured that due to all of the times you've gone over to my house to smoke weed with my wife you owe me an additional $5.
Westman: UNFUCKIN'LIEVABLE MAN!  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK I DO?  SMOKE THREE BAGS OF WEED THEN BOFF YOUR WIFE?!  THAT'S BULLSHIT MAN!  THAT'S BULLSHIT!  GRADE A MOTHERFUCKIN' BULLSHIT!  YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT D'ISRAELI!  YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT!  I DROVE MY ASS DOWN HERE AT 105 MILES PER HOUR IN MY 1982 JEEP WRANGLER ONLY TO COME HERE FOR THIS CRAP!?  ARE YOU FUCKIN' KIDDING ME?!
Mendelik laughs.
B. D'Israeli: Releasing the inner dago I see.
Westman: Shut up you limey bastard!
Beauregard laughs.
M. D'Israeli: I love to see you pissed off.  It's like watching one of those crime movies with wops who have mommy issues.  Sure, I'll come back to Montana man.  The way I figure it if I don't come back soon enough Lena might start offering a nice little side dish to go along with your weed.
Westman laughs.
Westman: You mean besides the piss beer you have at your house?  Good, because I would like a real drink.
Beauregard raises his glass.
B. D'Israeli: Salut.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 02:53:27 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

March 5th, 1985
Helena, Montana
Governor's Mansion:

Westman:
Wow!  That was good!
Westman is passed out on the bed after going three rounds with his wife Caroline.  She climbs up on him and kisses him.  She falls down on his chest as the phone starts ringing.
Caroline: Right on time.  Somebody up there must have a sick sense of humor.
Westman chuckles.
Westman: You telling me.
Westman picks up the phone.
Montana Speaker of the House Martha C. Clark: Governor?  Do you have a minute?
Westman sighs, great.
Westman: Sure, what do you want?
Clark: Are you sure Scott?  You sound like you're out of breath.
Westman: Oh I just went a few rounds.
There is an audible silence on the other end.  Then, Clark speaks up.
Clark: Oh right..........boxing!  I didn't know you were a boxer Scott!  My husband used to be a world class boxer befo-
Westman: Martha, as much as I love hearing your lovely little voice talking about your septuagenarian husband's love of boxing I believe you called for another reason.  What is it?
Clark: Well, this subject of marijuana legalization......I'm not so sure about it.
Westman: Listen Martha, a bunch of people are getting their asses kicked by policemen just for smoking some dope.  Does that seem right to you?
Caroline reaches over to the side table and prepares some dope for Westman.  After all, she sure wasn't going to smoke it.
Good girl
Clark: I know I know, but all out legalization?  Seriously?
Westman kisses Caroline on the forehead and takes the pipe from her.  He lights up the pipe and takes a hit.
Clark: Sir?
Westman puts the pipe down and then replies back.
Westman: Alright then.  How about you come over to the Mansion tomorrow with your lovely family and we can talk about it over dinner?
Clark: Of course Governor!  Love ya!
Well that's quite nice of her.
Westman: Love YOU too Martha!
Westman hangs up the phone and resumes smoking.  Caroline starts rubbing his chest hair.
Caroline: So Scotty?
Westman: Yes my love?
Caroline: Did you ever think about shaving?
Westman cracks up.
Westman: Do I look like some kind of pretty boy queer to ya?
Caroline laughs.
The phone rings again.
Damn it!
Westman picks up the phone.
Lena: Hey Scott!  What're you doing?
Westman: Actually I just went three rounds with my wife and now I'm smoking some dope.
Lena: That's great man!  Do you mind if me and Mendelik come over!?
Westman: Sure, but take your time.  It usually takes awhile for us to get READY!!!!
Lena: You alright?
Westman: Yes......I'm (gulps) good.  Just having a nice rest at the moment.
Lena: Oh right.  Well we'll be over in forty minutes or so.  I have to tell you Mendelik is quite excited about the legalization talk.
Westman: Good that's GRATE!
Lena: Glad you think so Tony the Tiger.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #599 on: August 11, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 03:52:47 PM by Rip Marky Mark »

Comments from Political Observers on a possible Scott Westman nomination in 1988:

"What?  A pot smoker as President?  Get real!"
"Yeah I'd definitely hit it-er I mean vote for him."
"He's too damn sexy to be President.  And admittedly too much of a bad boy."
"Scott Westman: he may make all the ladies swoon but his radical record makes him look like a loon."
"He'd be the greatest Republican President of the 20th Century."
"I'd jump his bones (laughs), but not so sure I'd vote for him."
"That dude from Montana?  Yeah, he's got a hot wife.  Other than that I don't know much about him."
"The kiddie lover?  No way!"
"If the Democrats want to lose in one of the biggest landslides ever, yeah sure."
"He may be popular and he may be the best damn looking politician I ever laid eyes on, but he's too far from the political mainstream to be viable.  He's like a fiscally conservative George McGovern, only sexier.  But not sexy enough to win an election."
"He's too much of a "Me-Too" Democrat to be a serious challenge to the Crane Coalition.  We need serious progressives, not one trick "liberaltarian" ponies like Scott Westman to one-up the powers that be."
"He'd be way better looking than the Conservative/Constitution/Republican nominees, that's for sure."
"His popularity comes not from his radical libertarianesque positions on a lot of issues, but from his Kennedyesque Sexgod looks.  Best case scenario he wins the votes of freckle chested 18-42 year old women and carries DC with 50% of the vote.  And that's being very generous."
"He's very underestimated."
"He could well be the most dangerous candidate the Democrats could put forward.  His sex scandals of previous years, his flip flops, as well as his open admission to marijuana usage could doom the party to yet another election to low thirty popular vote counts."
"He could well be the most dangerous candidate against the Republicans.  A popular Mountain West Governor, he could very well make the American West a Democratic bastion in a year when it otherwise would be safe pro-Crane or pro-Republican.  Even if he loses the election his nomination to a national ticket could bring forth another political realignment that could give the Democrats a strong advantage in years to come in a region that has historically been a tossup region."
"A cunning and young Democratic 1st termer like Westman?  No, he's too smart to run in 1988.  Even if the odds do favor the Democrats at the moment Westman has his own short term plans to consider.  Come 1992 he'll still be young and he'll have more executive experience and if the Conservatives/Republicans or whoever the hell wins in 1988 they'll probably have a bad year in 1992.  I'm just saying this as an experienced observer of political trends."
"Hell yeah he should run!  He's just what the Democratic Party needs for the next decade!"
"He's perhaps one of the most popular Democratic politicians in the nation.  Regardless of his experience he should run just to max out his momentum."
"Scott Westman is too damn sexy not to run for President.'
"Sure, he's good looking but he's got a small package."
"Just because all the women want to boff him doesn't mean he'd be a great President."
"A truly bipartisan executive?  Yeah, he'd go over great in Washington."
"Didn't he run on a ticket a few years back as the VP of some no-nothing party?"
"I'm surprised nobody has brought up his great performance as the Classical Liberal Vice Presidential Candidate."
"He'd certainly be one of our most colorful candidates in recent years."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies