Do you feel bad for Kwame Kilpatrick? Could he have gone national? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:29:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Do you feel bad for Kwame Kilpatrick? Could he have gone national? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you feel bad for Kwame Kilpatrick? Could he have gone national?  (Read 1319 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 19, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »

No. Not in the slightest. Kwame was the mayor for the bulk of the part of my childhood that I was old enough to remember, and growing up in the Metro Detroit TV market, his scandals were on the news every single day. It could be a slow news day where nothing was going on and there would be yet another scandal out of the mayor’s office. From the money he stole to the sexcapades he covered up to the stripper he had murdered, Kwame got exactly what he deserved with his 25 year prison sentence and he shouldn’t be released one day early.

I'm not so sure about the stripper. If she was also a prostitute, then she took a very dangerous choice as a way of making a living. Auto racing and Big Cat taming are both safer.

I also live in Michigan. I remember my father using Kwame Kirkpatrick as a reason to not vote for Barack Obama because Obama was a Chicago pol and Chicago is almost as corrupt as Detroit. (Truth be told, the Chicago machine wanted Obama out of Chicago politics as early as possible, and got its wish. We got stuck with him as a result -- and we got a good one. The only thing wrong about Obama was that he is black, which may have kept him from getting the recognition that he deserved among people whose racism still polarizes America). Obama would have been a terror as a rackets-busting DA or federal judge who got to hear corruption cases. He's one of those merciless "do the crime - do the time" types that mobsters and corrupt politicians dread -- like Kim Worthy in Detroit, who took Kwame Krookpatrick down in a court of law.

When he was on the front page of Detroit newspapers every day for his shortcomings I frequently mocked Kwame Kirkpatrick as Kwame "Krookpatick" for his corruption. He was monstrously corrupt, and he illustrates what is possible under single-Party government with no meaningful opposition. Donald Trump is far more like Kwame "Krookpatrick" than like the admirable Barack Obama.

Also worth remembering: although big-city mayors may have responsibilities that the governor of a small state might not have, big-city mayors typically lack the breadth of experience that a President needs as preparation. This is not to say that such types as Richard Lugar or George Voinovich (as mayors of Indianapolis and Cleveland) would not have been fine Presidents. We would have been better off with either of them than with Dubya. Of course, both became Senators. Most Presidents have been Governors or Senators before becoming President even if the Vice-Presidency or a cabinet post intervenes. Governors and Senators must address issues not strictly urban to have national credibility. Congressional Representatives? They typically involve themselves in local issues except in states with three electoral votes -- and as a rule, those states with three electoral votes are either fairly homogeneous (Montana, Vermont, Wyoming) or have one dominant community (Delaware).  With few exceptions, Presidents who do not have experience as Governors or Senators do not get re-elected.  This applies even when Senators were appointed by state legislators. The sole exception in the last century is Dwight Eisenhower, who (I think) is the most similar President to Obama in temperament and overall competence and integrity. Trump already looks like an explanation of why that rule works to an extreme extent. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies