'Mohammed' enters top 20 boys names list in England and Wales
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:09:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  'Mohammed' enters top 20 boys names list in England and Wales
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 'Mohammed' enters top 20 boys names list in England and Wales  (Read 7468 times)
senatortombstone
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 01:11:07 PM »

6. I back the Democrats because Christian Fundamentalism is just as dangerous.
Right, because those Christians love to fly commercial airplanes into buildings, saw peoples' heads off with steak knives and strap explosives to themselves to kill jews at bus stops.  Why the *&%$ are we going after muslims it's the Christians who are causing all of the trouble.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 02:01:08 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2005, 02:14:42 PM by opebo »

1. Yes I feel threatened. The rampant homophobia being sprouted from mouthpieces of Britain's Muslim leaders and community members is bordering on the disturbing.

3. The political left in the UK have 'sold out' in order to harvest the Muslim and anti-war vote. George Galloway's 'Respect' Party being the perfect example, with pledges to to protect Islamic womens rights to wear the hijab, at the expense of gay and womens rights.

6. I back the Democrats because Christian Fundamentalism is just as dangerous.

1)  Good for you!  Everyone should condemn Muslims for their hateful intolerant beliefs.  There is no reason to put up with 'cultural differences' that trample the rights of the individual.

3)  This is particularly disgusting.  The Left needs to wake up and realize that the essential conflict in the world is between tolerant, individualist secularism and Religion - the main source of intolerance and the main threat to freedom.

6)  I couldn't agree more, obviously.  We're lucky in the US - very few Muslims.  On the other hand our government is run by our own homegrown religious fanatics, who are just as bad as Muslims - though not quite as desperate.  After all, we're already firmly under their thumb.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 02:05:07 PM »

1)  Good for you!  Everyone should condemn Muslims for their hateful intolerant beliefs.  There is no reason to put up with 'cultural differences' that trample the rights of the individual.

6)  I couldn't agree more, obviously.  We're lucky in the US - very few Muslims.  On the other hand our government is run by our own homegrown religious fanatics, who are just as bad as Muslims - just not quite as desperate.  After all, we're already firmly under their thumb.

1) On this I agree

2) can you provide some examples of this?  Last I heard, this was a free country and not a theocracy.

BTW, Bush saying a prayer or giving thanks to the Lord does not count as an example.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 02:10:05 PM »

Have you been reading the Star Tribune lately? sheesh. Just look at those nutjobs like Kiffmeyer and Lindner we have that Pawlenty's been tolerating as well. Remember Luis Palau?
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 02:15:57 PM »

Have you been reading the Star Tribune lately? sheesh. Just look at those nutjobs like Kiffmeyer and Lindner we have that Pawlenty's been tolerating as well. Remember Luis Palau?

What about Luis Palau?  He, his organization and voluntary sponsers paid for the festival, which I and tens of thousands other minnesotans attended.  There wasno government sponsership.  This a free country and people have the right to gather on public property.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 02:19:28 PM »

I couldn't agree more, obviously.  We're lucky in the US - very few Muslims.  On the other hand our government is run by our own homegrown religious fanatics, who are just as bad as Muslims - just not quite as desperate.  After all, we're already firmly under their thumb.

Can you provide some examples of this?  Last I heard, this was a free country and not a theocracy.

BTW, Bush saying a prayer or giving thanks to the Lord does not count as an example.

The US is very far from being a free country.  There are many attempts by the religiously motivated to 'legislate morality', from laws against drugs and prostitution to drinking regulations.  Of course the most glaring case is the horrendously unfair treatment of homosexuals by a government dominated by those who hate them - the religious.

Bush's praying may seem merely embarrassing and stupid, but in fact it is a signal to this intolerant interest group - 'I'm with you, and I will do my best to use the power of the State to harm those we both hate - secularists, hedonists, homosexuals'.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »

I couldn't agree more, obviously.  We're lucky in the US - very few Muslims.  On the other hand our government is run by our own homegrown religious fanatics, who are just as bad as Muslims - just not quite as desperate.  After all, we're already firmly under their thumb.

Can you provide some examples of this?  Last I heard, this was a free country and not a theocracy.

The US is very far from being a free country.  There are many attempts by the religiously motivated to 'legislate morality', from laws against drugs and prostitution to drinking regulations.  Of course the most glaring case is the horrendously unfair treatment of homosexuals by a government dominated by those who hate them - the religious.

Bush's praying may seem merely embarrassing and stupid, but in fact it is a signal to this intolerant interest group - 'I'm with you, and I will do my best to use the power of the State to harm those we both hate - secularists, hedonists, homosexuals'.

So you think that drugs, prostitution and totally unrestrained behavior is acceptable?

It's a fair fight, there are hundreds of groups dedicated to attacking religion, family values and morality in this country.  why won't you call them out for being intolerant to people like me?

I am proud to have a president who is not only not ashamed of his faith but couragous enough to express it in public, despite what amoral, standardless hatemongers think.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2005, 05:06:57 AM »

What a coincidence. Entered my city's top ten too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2005, 05:29:52 AM »

So you think that drugs, prostitution and totally unrestrained behavior is acceptable?

Yes, it is called Freedom.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2005, 06:03:41 AM »

One person's freedom stops where another's begins- to paraphrase Locke.

The state also has a duty to protect its citizens, that's why it was formed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005, 06:24:16 AM »

One person's freedom stops where another's begins- to paraphrase Locke.

The state also has a duty to protect its citizens, that's why it was formed.

Protect its citizens from something taking place entirely in private, such as sex or drug taking?!
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »

Britain: nice while it lasted. Maybe New Pakistan will have better food.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005, 01:27:28 PM »

The Muslim population of the U.K is still tiny compared to the Non-Muslim population.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005, 02:12:37 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4148335.stm

I'm actually a bit disturbed by this...still at least we dont have 'Osama' in the list yet. Give it time.

Your islamophobic paranoia knows few boundaries. I don't suppose you think all Germans are Nazis too?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »

I already answered to accusations of 'Islamophobia' (a term coined only recently by a Muslim cleric to label people who happen to disagree with Islam) in a previous post. I am not 'phobic' either. A phobia is an irrational fear. My fears are well based and explained. As gay man the rampant abuse I have received from some young Muslim students is nothing short of disgusting ranging from 'die you fag' to the more poetic 'crawl along on your belly you sodomite so you can be slaughtered like a squealing pig.' These are from young urbane Muslims who have turned inwards and believe the whole world is against them. They are third generation and since 2001 I have seen many former friends turn against not only me, but their own female friends who refuse to 'cover up' and they have also slandered the British state. So as you can see- my reasons for mistrust of Islam are quite justified.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2005, 04:04:57 PM »

Well, from the CIA World Factbook...

Population of the UK: 60,270,708
Muslims in the UK: 1,500,000
...as a percent of the population: 2.49%

That doesn't exactly seem like an epidemic to me.  The fact that "Mohammed" is so high indicates to me more the fact that so many Muslims are named Mohammed than the idea that Muslims are taking over the UK.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2005, 04:05:59 PM »

I don't like Pakis and Muslims and Islam either, for that reason.  They kill gay people, something which I find a little unnervering.

Britain's non Muslim population may outnumber the Islamic population for now, but that population is aging and the Pakis are taking over the place from what I hear.  One Brit was telling me how entire villages in New Pakistan was speaking nothing but their own language(s), wish English hard to find.

It is a very sad thing.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2005, 04:06:55 PM »

Well, from the CIA World Factbook...

Population of the UK: 60,270,708
Muslims in the UK: 1,500,000
...as a percent of the population: 2.49%

That doesn't exactly seem like an epidemic to me.  The fact that "Mohammed" is so high indicates to me more the fact that so many Muslims are named Mohammed than the idea that Muslims are taking over the UK.
You know, all that is needed to start an epidemic is a virus like smallpox.  One single virus.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2005, 04:23:43 PM »

Did I even say it was an epedemic? No- It is a worrying trend. I dislike fundamentalists of all religions.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 08:26:46 PM »

The Muslim population of the U.K is still tiny compared to the Non-Muslim population.

True. Less than in France if memory serves me, though I could easily be wrong. Though there is a sizeable Indian population in the UK, of which many are Hindi, not Muslim.

It seems greater because many are in urban areas.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2005, 06:46:03 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2005, 06:50:41 AM by Michael Z »

I already answered to accusations of 'Islamophobia' (a term coined only recently by a Muslim cleric to label people who happen to disagree with Islam) in a previous post. I am not 'phobic' either. A phobia is an irrational fear. My fears are well based and explained. As gay man the rampant abuse I have received from some young Muslim students is nothing short of disgusting ranging from 'die you fag' to the more poetic 'crawl along on your belly you sodomite so you can be slaughtered like a squealing pig.' These are from young urbane Muslims who have turned inwards and believe the whole world is against them. They are third generation and since 2001 I have seen many former friends turn against not only me, but their own female friends who refuse to 'cover up' and they have also slandered the British state. So as you can see- my reasons for mistrust of Islam are quite justified.

I lived with Muslims in my student days and found them to be the warmest, kindest people I could hope to meet - In other words, it would be wrong to tar everyone with the same brush. Besides, homophobia is not quintessentially a Muslim problem. Look at the Christian right.

The trouble I see is primarily a lack of integration. A considerable amount of young Muslims hold extreme views, and this is partially because their parents felt the best way to shield them through the "corruptive" nature of western life was through religion. As a consequence many young Muslims weren't integrated into the increasing secularisation of western culture.

But of course the issue also lies with the Christian or secular majority in that they seem unwilling to integrate Muslims into mainstream discourse. I also feel that most of the reaction post-9/11 has contributed to said lack of integration, further feeding into the extremist agenda since disenfranchisement always causes rancour. In other words, if they are not regarded as part of (a secular) mainstream society they will only become worse.

Of course in some way, though not in all ways, the anti-Muslim sentiment we see now across the western world is somewhat comparable to the anti-Semitism of 19th century Europe. It wouldn't surprise me if we were to witness another holocaust, this time against Muslims, at some point in the 21st century. Now I don't say I expect it to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me either. Rants like yours (including your supportive view of the BNP in another thread) only serve to reinforce this fear.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2005, 06:47:24 AM »

Richius: "P*ki" is equivilent to "N*gger". Don't use it please.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2005, 07:01:13 AM »

Seriously? Over here its common use and just considered normal. For example "He's of Paki origin."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2005, 07:07:37 AM »

Seriously? Over here its common use and just considered normal. For example "He's of Paki origin."

Yep. It's partly because it was first used (and is still used) by Neo Nazi's etc. as a blanket term for all Asians.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2005, 08:51:24 AM »

A supportive view of the BNP! No chance! What I have said before is that I can understand why people would be driven to support them in urban areas. People do feel threatened by Muslims and to label them all as racists and bigots is plain wrong and grossly incorrect. I also know Muslims who are very nice to me and are also angry at their own community. But I know others who once were friends but who shunned me because I was a victim of 'western decadence' These are educated urbane people who withdraw into a shell that only involves people with like thoughts. And to even suggest some future 'holocaust' against Muslims is absurd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies