Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:34:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 77263 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: February 06, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »

https://youtu.be/ARP9m7-PzJU?t=440

Susan Collins Admits Trump May Not Have Learned His ‘Lesson’

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”

What a surprise! Donald Trump hasn't learned his lesson?! I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. How could this have happened?

Susan Collins should have asked herself, whether Donald Trump has ever learned any lesson in his life? Spoiler: No, he didn't. Never have, never will.

My respect for Susan Collins has declined considerably since the Kavanaugh affair. She is constantly trying to come up with excuses for Trump's behavior. She is also a hypocrite. I saw her interviews with Martha MacCallum and with Norah O'Donnell the other day, in which she defended her decision to acquit Trump. She lamented the "loss of civility" in this country and accused her critics, who attacked her for voting with McConnell's approval, of being "sexists". These are things which can just as easily apply to Trump himself.

It was so incredibly heart-warming when she received applause  at the airport after landing back in Maine for her vote against ACA repeal.

Seems like ages ago.

If Collins had continued with that, by voting against Kavanaugh and voting for conviction, she would probably be in a better position. She would have lost the Republican primary, but could have taken a page out of Angus King's book and run for reelection as an independent. And I think she would win relatively easily. But instead, she's shot herself in the foot, and wiped away the goodwill which she once had.

There was a time when she was one of my favorite Senators (along with Murkowski and Olympia Snowe).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1876 on: February 06, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”

What a surprise! Donald Trump hasn't learned his lesson?! I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. How could this have happened?

Susan Collins should have asked herself, whether Donald Trump has ever learned any lesson in his life? Spoiler: No, he didn't. Never have, never will.

My respect for Susan Collins has declined considerably since the Kavanaugh affair. She is constantly trying to come up with excuses for Trump's behavior. She is also a hypocrite. I saw her interviews with Martha MacCallum and with Norah O'Donnell the other day, in which she defended her decision to acquit Trump. She lamented the "loss of civility" in this country and accused her critics, who attacked her for voting with McConnell's approval, of being "sexists". These are things which can just as easily apply to Trump himself.

The whining she does is insufferable. I don’t know why anyone would like her anymore after these last two years: moderates, liberals and conservatives

She's a good example of the old adage that when you try to please all sides, you end up pleasing none of them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1877 on: February 06, 2020, 03:36:41 PM »

It was so incredibly heart-warming when she received applause  at the airport after landing back in Maine for her vote against ACA repeal.

Seems like ages ago.

If Collins had continued with that, by voting against Kavanaugh and voting for conviction, she would probably be in a better position. She would have lost the Republican primary, but could have taken a page out of Angus King's book and run for reelection as an independent. And I think she would win relatively easily. But instead, she's shot herself in the foot, and wiped away the goodwill which she once had.

I am happy that she didn’t vote against Kavanaugh though but not happy she voted to acquit
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1878 on: February 06, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

Big moment in history for the USA.

May I present to you, the President of the United States as he talks about his acquittal for 62 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLS1UKKAFJ0

Trumpets playing, a standing ovation. Well deserved.

Donald Trump explains how close he came to losing his position in the White House.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1879 on: February 06, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »

No thanks
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1880 on: February 06, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 06:55:25 PM by Meclazine »

"......how come Germany isn’t paying? Why isn’t Germany paying? Why is the United States always the sucker. Because we’re a bunch of suckers."

Trump get's down to the nitty gritty. I have heard elderly Australian's use the exact same terminology when describing international trade relations.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1881 on: February 06, 2020, 06:58:45 PM »

I wonder if you voted for One Nation in 2019 because I'm 90% sure.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1882 on: February 06, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 07:05:04 PM by Farmlands »

It was obvious what was about to happen post-acquital. Trump showed exactly how 'regretful' he feels to Collins by immediately going after Romney and Pelosi's religion and engaging in a blatantly partisan tirade. If this vote to acquit at least gets her removed from office, I'll consider that victory better than a simple majority vote to convict.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1883 on: February 06, 2020, 07:10:02 PM »

That immature diatribe was written by a grade 4 child.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1884 on: February 06, 2020, 07:11:34 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1885 on: February 06, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »

I was bed-ridden yesterday with a debilitating stomach virus, so I never got to comment on yesterday's vote. Perhaps it's appropriate though, because the mere thought of Trump being acquitted made me nauseous; and yesterday, literally as it happened, I was vomiting in the toilet.

Truly the Republican Party, once again being hypocrites, now proved that they love abortions after all: abortions of justice.

So, as expectedly depressing as the whole thing was, the best-case scenario did actually manage to happen where a Republican crossed over and joined a completely united Democratic Caucus in doing the right thing. Mitt Romney truly deserves praise fro actually having a conscience and standing by it. He makes Collins and Murkowski look all the worse, and disrupts the narrative of Trump's removal being a partisan witch-hunt. Sure, he kind of had his cake while eating it, by voting against the other Article, but when it comes to a Republican Party member, I will take what I can get. And this was not nothing. It was a surprising silver-lining to what was otherwise the darkest of many already dark days in the Trump era.

All that's left now is for this country to regain its sanity and reject Trump and his cronies from the White House and Senate. Other than that, the Death Star officially has more guardrails than our republic does.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1886 on: February 06, 2020, 08:43:14 PM »

"......how come Germany isn’t paying? Why isn’t Germany paying? Why is the United States always the sucker. Because we’re a bunch of suckers."

Trump get's down to the nitty gritty. I have heard elderly Australian's use the exact same terminology when describing international trade relations.
Ah yes elderly Australians, those great sages
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1887 on: February 06, 2020, 09:22:26 PM »

Good for you Mr. President, you skated past another controversy, again. The GOP has been cleaning up your messes all along. They are wonderful people until they cross you, then they turn into evil scum of the earth. How many friends, associates, business partners, lawyers have you thrown under the bus? Anyone who thinks they aren't next in line for the bullying, guess again. You are never safe from Trump's wrath.

Don't want to belabor the issue. All we have to do is watch and wait for the next time, because with Trump, there is always a next drama. A next chaos. A next scandal. A next bullying.

Perhaps another deserved impeachment. We'll see.

Is this sour grapes? Call it what you want to. Sometimes you just gotta vent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1888 on: February 06, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »

The polls are gonna solidify and we will go back to trends before impeachment.  Trump isn't a shoe in for reelection but he is on a comeback like Bush W
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1889 on: February 07, 2020, 12:12:26 AM »

From today's crazed rant by Demented Donald: "Had I not fired James Comey — who was a disaster, by the way — it’s possible I wouldn’t even be standing here right now."

It's not just any resident of the White House who can confess to obstruction and conspiracy to defraud the United States in a single sentence.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1890 on: February 07, 2020, 12:13:01 AM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1891 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »

Disgusting douchebags. He didn’t lie about anything in his testimony but most of blue Atlas will cheer this on because Party before country
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1892 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:34 AM »

One of the forgotten stories of this White House is just how many lives it has destroyed.  People who spent decades building up resumes that got them high-profile careers were just callously chewed up and spit out by the Trump machine.

Sometimes they're notable enough that they make the national news, like when he fired Andrew McCabe the day before he got his pension.  But most of them are people like Vindman, a guy who spent his whole career getting to his current position and now will have to find a new career because of a completely unethical revenge firing by Trump.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #1893 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:46 AM »

But he has learned his lesson. Susan Collins, Lamar Alexander and others told us.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1894 on: February 07, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »

The biggest consequence of the Impeachment Hoax >>>>>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/us/politics/hunter-biden-investigation.html
Republicans in Senate Press On With Investigation Into Hunter Biden
The Treasury Department complied with a request from Senate Republicans for documents related to Hunter Biden’s ties to a Ukrainian energy company, according to a Senate Democrat.
In the wake of the Senate acquitting President Trump in an impeachment trial over his efforts to pressure Ukraine to investigate his political rivals including former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., Republican senators are pressing ahead with their probes into the finances of Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter Biden.

Last year, the top Republicans on two Senate committees — the Finance Committee and Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs — requested documents from the Treasury Department related to Hunter Biden’s business relationship with Burisma Holdings, a Ukrainian energy company, as part of an investigation into whether the Obama administration acted improperly to benefit Burisma. The request sought “Suspicious Activity Reports” and other documents involving Mr. Biden and 10 other individuals and companies.
Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa and the chairman of the finance committee, would not comment on what information Treasury had supplied to the committee, noting that the investigation is ongoing.

“It’s unfortunate that Democrats whom we’ve kept in the loop on our investigations would recklessly seek to interfere with legitimate government oversight,” said Taylor Foy, a spokesman for Mr. Grassley.

The Treasury Department declined to comment.

🔥🔥🔥
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1895 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:06 AM »

The biggest consequence of the Impeachment Hoax >>>>>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/us/politics/hunter-biden-investigation.html
Republicans in Senate Press On With Investigation Into Hunter Biden
The Treasury Department complied with a request from Senate Republicans for documents related to Hunter Biden’s ties to a Ukrainian energy company, according to a Senate Democrat.
In the wake of the Senate acquitting President Trump in an impeachment trial over his efforts to pressure Ukraine to investigate his political rivals including former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., Republican senators are pressing ahead with their probes into the finances of Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter Biden.

Last year, the top Republicans on two Senate committees — the Finance Committee and Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs — requested documents from the Treasury Department related to Hunter Biden’s business relationship with Burisma Holdings, a Ukrainian energy company, as part of an investigation into whether the Obama administration acted improperly to benefit Burisma. The request sought “Suspicious Activity Reports” and other documents involving Mr. Biden and 10 other individuals and companies.
Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa and the chairman of the finance committee, would not comment on what information Treasury had supplied to the committee, noting that the investigation is ongoing.

“It’s unfortunate that Democrats whom we’ve kept in the loop on our investigations would recklessly seek to interfere with legitimate government oversight,” said Taylor Foy, a spokesman for Mr. Grassley.

The Treasury Department declined to comment.

🔥🔥🔥

It appears that there's a bit of conflict in the GOP caucus about whether this is a good idea or not.  

Per thehill:

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said Graham might feel “obligated” as the Judiciary Committee chairman to probe the Biden and Ukraine, but added he thought the Senate’s focus should be focused on other priorities.

He said people when he goes home are not talking about impeachment or the Bidens.

“They are talking about … the cost of their insulin, they’re talking about the fact that the roads need to be built,” Cassidy said. “That’s what they’re concerned about. I think we need to speak to the American’s people's concerns.”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a member of Graham’s committee, asked if he had any interest in investigating the Bidens, said: “I think an election is the best way to handle that.”

Senator Kennedy (R-LA) makes a good point.  People just generally don't care about impeachment or the Bidens or John Bolton, etc. etc.  

I think we (and I'm guilty of it myself) sometimes forget how we really are in a bubble here on Atlas politics-wise.  I can almost guarantee you that there could be solid rock-solid proof that Biden was engaged in the most corrupt scheme in America's history and it would barely move the needle.  And ditto for President Trump. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1896 on: February 07, 2020, 08:40:43 AM »

This is just disgusting
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1897 on: February 07, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

Watching this clown giving a rant in the WH after being introduced with "Hail to the Chief" really upsets me. The moment when you would like to walk in and tell him that he's a disgrace to the office and that he should go back into his fake golden tower.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1898 on: February 07, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »

I think we (and I'm guilty of it myself) sometimes forget how we really are in a bubble here on Atlas politics-wise.

Very good point.

I know we are, and am also guilty of it.

The election of Donald Trump in 2016 was evidence of this compared to the 99.99% certainty of Atlas users that Hillary Clinton would be the President elect.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1899 on: February 08, 2020, 09:24:28 AM »

Let there be no more doubt: Republicans=fascists.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies