Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 69150 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »

Trump would have to lose the NPV by about 20% for Doug Jones to win re-election.

In other words, Doug Jones is hopeless.

What??
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »

Trump would have to lose the NPV by about 20% for Doug Jones to win re-election.

He has a 53% approval rating and incumbency advantage is a thing. He's just as well liked as shelby.
Scott Brown and Mark Pryor had approval ratings above 60%
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »

He has a 53% approval rating and incumbency advantage is a thing. He's just as well liked as shelby.
Scott Brown and Mark Pryor had approval ratings above 60%

Yep, which is why dems need to beat Trump by around ~10% nationally for Jones to win. I definitely don't think dems need to beat TRump by 20% for Jones to make it... Scott Brown only lost by 8 despite Obama winning nationally by 4% and MA by 23%.
Lamda

« Reply #628 on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2018, 11:26:34 AM by Lamda »

I hope that Martha Roby will be the GOP nominee for Alabama Senate in 2020.
It's a win-win for the Democrats,Jones will face a weak opponent and even if he losses we going to have a moderate Republican(in Alabama standards).
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #629 on: May 05, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »

If Trump is on the ballot in 2020, Doug Jones is getting blanched. I'd say he has a 10% chance of re-election, and that's being generous. The reason he won in the first place was because Trump-voting republicans who couldn't bring themselves to vote for either candidate stayed home en masse, not because of some huge surge in democratic support.
Needles so to say, these voters will not be staying home in 2020.

2020 Alabama US senate election prediction:

Not Roy Moore (R): 54%

Doug Jones (D): 45%

Other: ~1%
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #630 on: May 05, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2018, 01:55:58 PM by DTC »

If Trump is on the ballot in 2020, Doug Jones is getting blanched. I'd say he has a 10% chance of re-election, and that's being generous. The reason he won in the first place was because Trump-voting republicans who couldn't bring themselves to vote for either candidate stayed home en masse, not because of some huge surge in democratic support.

2020 Alabama US senate election prediction:

Not Roy Moore (R): 54%

Doug Jones (D): 45%

Other: ~1%

I mean, it was both. There was actually a huge surge in Jones's vote among white independents/republicans. He was polling in the mid 40's even before the Roy Moore scandal. Look at how Jones got more votes in places like Shelby county than Hillary, despite much lower turnout.

And it wasn't only republican voters that didn't turn out. Many black voters that voted Hillary did not vote in the 2017 special election. Look at how Jones got way less votes in the black belt than Hillary (20-25% less votes).

A 9% R win is about what I'd expect in an even election, though.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #631 on: May 05, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »

In order of likelihood:

1. Someone like Roby wins the GOP nomination and strong pro-Trump independent/write-in splits the conservative vote, allowing him to win Wilson 1912 style.
2. Economic crisis leads to a 1932 style Trump loss and Dem wave nationwide.
3. Moore runs and wins the nomination again.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #632 on: May 05, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »

Jones is as popular as shelby I say he as a good chance of winning reelection based off that alone
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #633 on: May 06, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »

Jones is as popular as shelby I say he as a good chance of winning reelection based off that alone

Popularity can only get him so far in an inelastic state like Alabama, where the GOP's floor is sky-high.
This will be like Scott Brown in Massachusetts in 2012. A perfect line up of events allowed for a stunning anomaly, but it won't be able to hold in a presidential election year.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #634 on: May 06, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »

That’s factually wrong. They managed to get African American turnout to an historic high (even more than Obama in 2008)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #635 on: May 06, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »

That’s factually wrong. They managed to get African American turnout to an historic high (even more than Obama in 2008)

Was that in percentage or in raw votes because if its in percentage then it is because a significant amount of Republicans stayed home .

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #636 on: May 06, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »

That was only relative to the electorate. If republicans turned out, I bet the electorate would have only been 27% black (which, granted, would still mean black people turned out better than white in AL)
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #637 on: May 06, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2018, 01:10:58 PM by Yellowhammer »

I doubt that, as Jones underperformed Obama '08 by about 140,000 votes.

He certainly performed very well for a non-presidential election year, and he won over plenty of white independents and republicans, especially in the Birmingham area. That being said, the vast majority of his voters were still democrats.
There was a moderate bump in democratic support, not a surge. The allegations against Moore were the only reason Jones had a shadow of a chance. That worked like a miracle for the him, turning out the vast majority of the state's democratic base whilst depressing Moore's support. He won because he had an excellent GOTV effort, whereas many republicans didn't vote. Jones would have lost handily had it not been for the allegations, and even more handily had the GOP nominated anyone else.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #638 on: May 06, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, at least according to the Jones campaign (and the polling doesn't exactly hurt their case either), Moore was just as weak before the allegations, and the fight over the allegations in some cases seemed to help Moore by "tribalizing" Republicans. Besides the polling, this isn't exactly hard to believe. Moore didn't do so well in 2012 either. He is just a weak candidate in general.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #639 on: May 06, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »

I actually think Jones would have beaten Strange as well, people really forget what an incredibly flawed candidate he was. As regards 2020, Jones either needs a massive Democratic landslide or an Akin-level implosion of Byrne or Brooks or whoever gets the nomination.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #640 on: May 06, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

I think if Luther Strange was the Republican candidate, he would have won 56-43 or something like that.

It would have been closer than usual for Alabama, but Luther Strange still wins comfortably.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #641 on: May 06, 2018, 02:40:35 PM »

I think if Luther Strange was the Republican candidate, he would have won 56-43 or something like that.

It would have been closer than usual for Alabama, but Luther Strange still wins comfortably.
Luther Strange was arguably weaker than Moore not talking about allegations he lost statewide to a democrat in 06 Moore may have only narrowly won in 2012 but Strange actually lost
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: May 06, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »

Given that jones won 40% of mitch mcconnell approvers, i'm pretty sure strange would have won...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #643 on: May 06, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

I actually think Jones would have beaten Strange as well, people really forget what an incredibly flawed candidate he was. As regards 2020, Jones either needs a massive Democratic landslide or an Akin-level implosion of Byrne or Brooks or whoever gets the nomination.

If Jones had beaten Moore by 8-10%, I would believe this.  I would be shocked if Strange couldn't manage to do 2% better than Moore. 
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #644 on: May 06, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Strange would have beat Jones. Almost certainly
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #645 on: May 06, 2018, 06:00:06 PM »

Yep Strange would have won and probably by double digits.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #646 on: May 06, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »

Why did Strange lose in 2006?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #647 on: May 06, 2018, 10:43:23 PM »

He was running against a former Alabama governor in a dem wave year, and barely lost, and this was back when Alabama was still hospitable to electing dems statewide. A lot has changed here in the last 12 years; most of the old yellow dog democrats have died off.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: May 06, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »

He was running against a former Alabama governor in a dem wave year, and barely lost, and this was back when Alabama was still hospitable to electing dems statewide. A lot has changed here in the last 12 years; most of the old yellow dog democrats have died off.

Who is Bradley Manning? I don't think that is a person running for Maryland Senate.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #649 on: May 07, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »

Who is Bradley Manning? I don't think that is a person running for Maryland Senate.

He's deliberately dead naming Chelsea Manning which is quite despicable behavior in my opinion
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies