US ties the record for the longest, consecutive, monthly streak of sub-4% unemployment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:53:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US ties the record for the longest, consecutive, monthly streak of sub-4% unemployment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US ties the record for the longest, consecutive, monthly streak of sub-4% unemployment  (Read 799 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2024, 08:16:37 AM »

GAinDC

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 08:39:03 AM »

wow, amazing!!

I'm also glad to see the job numbers coming in a little less hot. It may convince the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 09:43:08 AM »

Sadly, no one cares.
GAinDC

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 10:20:19 AM »

Don't turn into a nihilist. That's part of the MAGA/Russia playbook
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 10:22:07 AM »

I've been a nihilist long before the internet.
GAinDC

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 10:32:11 AM »

I should have known by your name! Cheesy
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 11:02:50 AM »

Bidenomics' failures mount as unemployment remains stubbornly below 4%
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 12:10:28 PM »

Where is riverwalk when you need him.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 12:12:12 PM »

The jobs report slowed down . He's on discord FWIW and still replies if you ping him.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 01:32:45 PM »

I know the feeling. I had a high school English teacher refer to me as jaded.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 06:26:48 PM »

I am unemployed but I have an income, being stick in a meaningless job isn't ideal for me. My cuz has work for me in TX I might be moving down there next yr. I don't wantta be trapped in a meaningless job anymore

The blk unemployment is really 6.5 percent that's why we don't need anymore tax cuts but we need reparations at least 35 K per person

White unemployment is 2 percent, but that's not to say we elect Rs we elect Ds
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 10:53:12 AM »

My cuz has work for me in TX I might be moving down there next yr.

Why don't you move there sooner so you can vote for ALLRED
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 11:05:44 AM »

If Biden loses, part of it will be because unlike Trump and Obama, he is terrible at taking credit for good things that happen under his administration. Biden's mostly been an effective president but he a terrible messenger. You can bet that if Trump wins, he'll take credit when inflation inevitably goes down and that will not be a good look for Democrats.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 11:31:36 AM »

If Biden loses, part of it will be because unlike Trump and Obama, he is terrible at taking credit for good things that happen under his administration. Biden's mostly been an effective president but he a terrible messenger. You can bet that if Trump wins, he'll take credit when inflation inevitably goes down and that will not be a good look for Democrats.

Inflation is currently low enough that it probably wouldn't go much further down under Trump and his proposed import taxes and deportation of the ag workforce, if enacted, would make prices go up again.

But yes, Biden's administration is bad at capitalizing on these things. It's difficult to do when they don't gain traction in the media ecosystem. Stories about good news don't get clicks and don't get shared on social media, so journalists, media influencers, and news outlets don't have as much incentive to publish them. NGOs and activists are more interested in aesthetics of problems that necessitate their existence than progress on fighting the issues, so they will ignore good news as well. And all of this is assuming that everybody is acting in good faith, which in many cases they aren't.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 11:39:18 AM »

Inflation is currently low enough that it probably wouldn't go much further down under Trump and his proposed import taxes and deportation of the ag workforce, if enacted, would make prices go up again.

But yes, Biden's administration is bad at capitalizing on these things. It's difficult to do when they don't gain traction in the media ecosystem. Stories about good news don't get clicks and don't get shared on social media, so journalists, media influencers, and news outlets don't have as much incentive to publish them. NGOs and activists are more interested in aesthetics of problems that necessitate their existence than progress on fighting the issues, so they will ignore good news as well. And all of this is assuming that everybody is acting in good faith, which in many cases they aren't.

I'm sorry but where on earth are you getting this information? Inflation is at record highs now and the Fed is far likelier to raise interest rates than lower them at this point.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 11:48:15 AM »

I'm sorry but where on earth are you getting this information? Inflation is at record highs now and the Fed is far likelier to raise interest rates than lower them at this point.

It was at record highs two years ago and it's considerably less than it was back then. It could fall below 3% but I don't think we're going to be seeing below 2% any time soon.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 12:21:53 PM »

It was at record highs two years ago and it's considerably less than it was back then. It could fall below 3% but I don't think we're going to be seeing below 2% any time soon.

2024 "Record high Inflation!"

1970s. "Hold my beer."

https://www.investopedia.com/inflation-rate-by-year-7253832#:~:text=An%20average%20rate%20of%20inflation,rate%20of%20inflation%20was%204.7%25.

Admittedly, inflation is currently the highest it's been since 2007, but in the big historical picture it's not particularly bad. We've just been spoiled as a country to have drop dead low inflation rates for much of the last 15 to 20 years.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 12:32:37 PM »

But why won't mean Joe Biden give the New York Times an interview, GODDAMMIT???

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 02:05:00 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 02:08:31 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Trump isn't gonna do anything but renew his tax cuts, but the homeless rate keeps going up not down and many young men Latinx and blks don't want to work

This isn't a knock against Biden it's not ideal in this world I would like the media to account for how many homeless people are out there. They don't wantta do this.

Common sense is that we need to raise taxes, they keep talking stimulus checks but I haven't gotten one because Johnson not Jeffries is Spk

The Sober livings are full of Latinx men that don't wanna work
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 02:20:21 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 02:23:49 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

I don't have to work I am in school and waiting for a job with my cuz, but the sober living I am in have a lot of Latino men that just don't wantta work and go from shelter to shelter because they don't show up for work like when they have a job and get fired. I know this Latino guy that works at Urban Alcaneed  and got fired and he don't wanna work now. It's not all but a 1)3 rd of blks and Latinos 50/132 M are impoverished

It's still a Covid Environment out there and many people have dropped off the employment rolls

We still need 1 more stimulus check and reparations not more tax cuts
GAinDC

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 04:12:15 PM »

No he’s not. If you follow him or VP on social media, he talks about his economic successes all the time. And administration officials are at every major ribbon cutting — I was at one at a factory in PA just last week. And local news cameras were there.

Unfortunately it’s the public that doesn’t want to acknowledge these successes and I’m not sure why.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2024, 05:20:05 PM »

The economy is unperforming but there are jobs but it doesn't serve poor people they are stuck in poverty the real unemployment rate is 6 percent among people of color, but these aren't the Biden policies, we are still under Trump tax cuts
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2024, 05:39:33 PM »

Called it!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2024, 05:42:54 PM »

No he’s not. If you follow him or VP on social media, he talks about his economic successes all the time. And administration officials are at every major ribbon cutting — I was at one at a factory in PA just last week. And local news cameras were there.

Unfortunately it’s the public that doesn’t want to acknowledge these successes and I’m not sure why.

Because Biden doesn't really have his own "brand," for lack of a better word. Remember that he was only nominated because the non-Bernie candidates ratf#cked him before Super Tuesday. Which is all fine and dandy but if Biden ends up being a one-term president and loses to Donald Trump, you can't just blame the public. A President Sanders would have a loyal following that Biden simply lacks. That's just how politics works in this day and age.

Failure to capitalize on one's accomplishments is a sign of a weak leader. The media absolutely has a role in this because they want Trump to win, but the buck stops with the president regardless. The fact that Biden currently has approval numbers matching those of Bush's second term can't solely be attributed to the public or the media.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2024, 07:09:25 PM »

"Journalists" job is generate "stories". They don't just report the news any more. "Journalists" and "novelists" both write "stories". That is why I refuse to pay for any of these outlets except the ones that push narratives I agree with. The latter I would proudly give a piece of my bank account.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies