Wasn't there some huge scandal with the 2002 Olympics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:16:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Wasn't there some huge scandal with the 2002 Olympics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wasn't there some huge scandal with the 2002 Olympics?  (Read 702 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »

I'm sure Romney wasn't directly involved, but I, like most people, only associate the SLC Olympics with corruption.

Why hasn't this been the subject of any attacks on Romney, since he brings up those Olympics himself so often?
Themistocles18
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »

I'm sure Romney wasn't directly involved, but I, like most people, only associate the SLC Olympics with corruption.

Why hasn't this been the subject of any attacks on Romney, since he brings up those Olympics himself so often?

Lesseee...it could be because Romney was brought in specifically to repair the games AFTER the scandal.  Just a guess. 
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

Because Romney has been acclaimed the "savior of the olympics"
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »

Yeah, Romney stepped in to repair the damage after the bribery scandal was discovered.

If one were to attack Romney for the Salt Lake City Olympics, it'd probably be best to highlight the 29% cost overrun (I don't know how much of that is Romney's fault, but if you're making a political attack out of it I guess it wouldn't really matter anyway). Or, better yet, just highlight the typical "round up the homeless" and broken promises of "sustainable development to benefit the least fortunate among the host city's community" that accompany every Olympics to add to the whole "Mitt Romney hates poor people" meme.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:16 PM »

Because nobody cares about the Winter Olympics?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »

I can think of about 30,000,000 people north of the 49th parallel who'd disagree with you. Wink
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »

No because if there were a scandal with corruption regarding the Olympics, the media would've tied the entire Republican Party to it and would still be talking about it today. It wouldn't have gone away until after the 2004 election and Obama would be talking about that instead of saying that business owners didn't earn it themselves.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

I can think of about 30,000,000 people north of the 49th parallel who'd disagree with you. Wink

Why?  I'd always heard that Canada goes wild over hockey and that's in the Summer Olympics. Grin
timothyinMD

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »

Pretty sad that you can't appreciate the great accomplishments of the Olympians, in particular the Americans, as the SLC games were our best ever
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

Yes, but, alas, Romney was brought in to solve it, therefore he could have played no role in the bribery scandals surrounding it. Which is really good for him, because it involved gifts of prostitutes. Those wacky Mormons...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies