2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:58:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2 students expelled from South Carolina school for kissing on the bus  (Read 1995 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »

From the article:  "Goyner ... said he knows he was breaking a rule, but was shocked by the response from school officials."

If you break the rules, you suffer the consequences.  However, I think being expelled for the rest of the academic year is a bit extreme, especially when fighting probably just gets you two weeks suspension.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »

Then the law is an ass, my man, the law is an ass.

Seriously though your defense of "Its the law!", "Its the law!" is rather tiresome and sickening; under MODU logic then escaping slaves in the 1850s south should have held "responisible for their actions". Whatever that means. I know that is an extreme example; but there are good rules and there are bad rules. This is a clear example of the latter.

*sigh*  "... your defense of ..."  I never said the laws/rules cannot/should not be changed.  I just seem to have to constantly remind the viper pit on here from time to time that people are punished because there is a law/rule in place.  They make it sound like these things are happening for no reason.  Well, there is a reason.  They broke the law/rule.  Yes, people are suppose to be responsible for their actions, and if their actions result in punishment, they have no one to blame but themselves.  If you've got a problem with that, go cry somewhere else.  It's not my job (or the government) to babysit you.  You (both you and people in general) are an "adult," so act like one.  So forgive me and get over yourself.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »

And as I said (yes, I'm repeating myself):

- "I never said laws/rules cannot/should not be changed."
- "... if their actions result in punishment, they have no one to blame but themselves."

There are tons of antiquated laws in every state that just have never been removed, but they are enforced any more.  So if I child were to get a fine for trick-or-treating by a cop who decides to enforce the law (for example), the parent/child would have to contess it in court, and the judge would probably drop the charges.  However, the law is still valid on the books until it is removed.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

What does this tell you about freedom? Pretty non-existent in some places

Dave

Now that's a stretch.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »

You cheeky monkey.  Wink