The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:16:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: The elephant in the room - Donald Trump's physical and mental deterioration  (Read 40735 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »

He won Facebook's EV, though! And if you don't count illegal followers, he's most followed since Reagan!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »

I think you are fighting windmills, Ghost of Ruin. Trump has never had great mental capacity in the first place, only when it comes to running a con and defrauding people.

He's getting cancer?

Curing cancer!

Seriously, though. I get what hermit is saying. Trump's gross stupidity acts as a sort of protective shield for him. It's difficult to separate the stupidity from the ignorance from the pre-existing mental illnesses from drugs from the impact of whatever neurological disease he has. That is why I've focused so much on the decay of his ability to speak. The content of his speech has always been garbage, and he didn't bother with proper diction and grammar. But when he was running in 2016, he didn't have problems forming his words, he didn't slur, he didn't have regular myclonic seizures, or the verbal paraphasia.

And he could engage off-the-cuff. He did it a lot, even a year or two in to his term. Sure, he'd lie, mislead and fictionalize everything faster than it could be reported. Now, uncontrolled access to him is very limited, and all he does is reply with his old talking points before moving on. And he's starting to lose track of time more and more.

I think a strong case could be made that he's legally incompetent now, but its obvious that his enablers are going to keep him in front of the parade until he's incapable of being a figurehead. (And I still think that time will come before the 2020 election.)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2020, 06:52:01 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

(Removed broken link, was supposed to be a tweet about how the media edits Trump so he seems like he makes sense and speaks coherently, even though he doesn't.)

Case in point:
This will end.  This will end.  You look at flu season.  I said 26,000 people?  I�ve never heard of a number like that.  Twenty-six thousand people going up to sixty-nine thousand people, Doctor � you told me before.  Sixty-nine thousand people die every year � from 26 [thousand] to 69 [thousand] � every year from the flu.  Now, think of that.  It�s incredible.

So far, the results of all of this that everybody is reading about � and part of the thing is you want to keep it the way it is.  You don�t want to see panic because there�s no reason to be panicked about it.

But when I mentioned the flu, I said � actually, I asked the various doctors.  I said, �Is this just like flu?�  Because people die from the flu.  And this is very unusual.  And it is a little bit different, but in some ways it�s easier and in some ways it�s a little bit tougher.

But we have it so well under control.  I mean, we really have done a very good job.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »

I think you are fighting windmills, Ghost of Ruin. Trump has never had great mental capacity in the first place, only when it comes to running a con and defrauding people.

He's getting cancer?

I'm pretty sure it's a Don Quixote reference.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2020, 06:37:24 PM »

He's getting cancer?

I'm pretty sure it's a Don Quixote reference.

I know. I just couldn't resist referencing Trump's idiotic belief that windmills or wind turbines cause cancer.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »

That picture has been messed with quite a bit.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »

I caught part of Mr. Trump's FoxNews town hall this morning. I have not had time to review the whole thing. Link to first part here.

Mr. Trump was exceptionally coherent (in comparison to his public appearances over the last ten months), and we finally got the back and forth on a single topic that I've been wanting to see, when the Fox News hosts were questioning him about his administration's coronavirus response. (Why so much of a Town Hall consists of Mr. Trump back and forthing with Fox News hosts is a different issue) While his responses were typical Trumpseak: repetitions of talking points, lies and evasions, they were coherent and on-topic lies and evasions. Additionally, the aphasia and particularly the myclonic siezures were completely absent during the segment I watched. (The orange clown face-paint is still there, though).

If he can maintain this level of function (I suspect a new drug regimen), it will be a massive boost to his campaign (he was basically back in 2016 form).
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »

Mr. Trump continues to appear to be free of slurring, aphasia and myoclonic seizures in his public appearances, and can stay on topic as well. Although, the content of his speech increasingly shows a deep disconnect from reality and naked psychopathy.

For example, overriding medical professionals  and refusing to tell senior citizens they shouldn't fly:

Or leaving a cruise ship to turn into a plague ship, because evacuating it would make his numbers look bad:
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #335 on: March 09, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: March 09, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »

(Posting this here, because I don't quite think it's worth a new thread, it is about the disintegration of what passes for Mr. Trump's mind and personality, and I don't want to clutter the coronavirus thread with something that's far more about Mr. Trump than about the virus.)

“He’s Definitely Melting Down Over This”: Trump, Germaphobe in Chief, Struggles to Control the Covid-19 Story
The problem is that the crisis fits into his preexisting and deeply held worldview—that the media is always searching for a story to bring him down. Covid-19 is merely the latest instance, and he’s reacting in familiar ways. “So much FAKE NEWS!” Trump tweeted this morning. “He wants Justice to open investigations of the media for market manipulation,” a source close to the White House told me. Trump is also frustrated with his West Wing for not getting a handle on the news cycle. “He’s very frustrated he doesn’t have a good team around him,” a former White House official said. On Friday he forced out acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with former House Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows. Trump thought the virus was “getting beyond Mick,” a person briefed on the internal discussions said. Trump has also complained that economic adviser Larry Kudlow is not doing enough to calm jittery markets. Last week Kudlow refused Trump’s request that Kudlow hold an on-camera press briefing, sources said. “Larry didn’t want to have to take questions about coronavirus,” a person close to Kudlow told me. “Larry’s not a doctor. How can he answer questions about something he doesn’t know?”
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2020, 05:26:06 AM »

(Posting this here, because I don't quite think it's worth a new thread, it is about the disintegration of what passes for Mr. Trump's mind and personality, and I don't want to clutter the coronavirus thread with something that's far more about Mr. Trump than about the virus.)

“He’s Definitely Melting Down Over This”: Trump, Germaphobe in Chief, Struggles to Control the Covid-19 Story
The problem is that the crisis fits into his preexisting and deeply held worldview—that the media is always searching for a story to bring him down. Covid-19 is merely the latest instance, and he’s reacting in familiar ways. “So much FAKE NEWS!” Trump tweeted this morning. “He wants Justice to open investigations of the media for market manipulation,” a source close to the White House told me. Trump is also frustrated with his West Wing for not getting a handle on the news cycle. “He’s very frustrated he doesn’t have a good team around him,” a former White House official said. On Friday he forced out acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with former House Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows. Trump thought the virus was “getting beyond Mick,” a person briefed on the internal discussions said. Trump has also complained that economic adviser Larry Kudlow is not doing enough to calm jittery markets. Last week Kudlow refused Trump’s request that Kudlow hold an on-camera press briefing, sources said. “Larry didn’t want to have to take questions about coronavirus,” a person close to Kudlow told me. “Larry’s not a doctor. How can he answer questions about something he doesn’t know?”

"But is Joe Biden suffering from dementia?!?"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »

You could drive a truck through those pupils.  ⚫️⚫️
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »

Also from yesterday:

(The symptoms I'd been tracking in this thread, the twitching and intermittent aphasia, seemed to disappear earlier this year when Mr. Trump started making public appearances with give and take again after several months where he only did scripted events. But after a couple months at a sort of 'baseline Trump' level of functionality with only his normal levels of stupidity, ignorance, evil, and mental illness, the last week has seen him take another dive in terms of functionality.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2020, 11:43:44 AM »

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »

My head hurts after reading that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

We have all been to funerals, and funeral directors and clergy are able to give some comfort to the grieving. They expect people to grieve and suggest that holding back is self-destructive. If we did not feel loss we would be more mechanical than human. I am satisfied that such intelligent animals as dogs and elephants (the latter rivaling us in intelligence) grieve, too.

Trump has long seemed to lack some of the normal decencies that underpin normal life.  But even if one has gaps in one's feelings one can learn some of the tricks of the trade of showing sympathy to the afflicted. Such is essential to political leaders. Dubya may not have mastered that skill, but he did better than does Trump.

If you are the chief of police or the head of a big-city fire department, then you will have to address a loss of a hero. The President cannot get away with being a cold-hearted executive 100% of the time; there will be tragedies, including mass tragedies. Dealing with those is part of the job.   
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »

That clip, what even 🤣
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2020, 10:20:32 PM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »

But sleepy Joe!
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2020, 10:13:18 PM »

He can literally just beckon a White House intern and tell him to spend an hour or two researching World War One while Trump sits on his butt and watches Fox News. Requires no effort. But no, he has to trainwreck.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2020, 11:25:59 PM »

If Spanish flu had ended the Great War, Germany would've won as it was the Allies who were most affected.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies