Rank the 9 swing states from Lean Obama to lean Romney. Tough.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rank the 9 swing states from Lean Obama to lean Romney. Tough.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rank the 9 swing states from Lean Obama to lean Romney. Tough.  (Read 2920 times)
Spamage
spamage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »

Nevada
New Hampshire
Ohio
Colorado
Virginia
Wisconsin
Iowa
Florida
North Carolina
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »

Think its really hard to list them 1-9. but heres mine the 9 states being Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, nevada, new hampshire, iowa, wisconsin, north carolina.

Lean Obama
1 Nevada
2 New Hampshire
3 Wisconsin
4 Virginia
5 Ohio
6 Colorado
7 Iowa
8 Florida
9 North Carolina
Lean Romney

Here's my list, before reading the others:
From Lean Obama to Lean Romney:

1) Wisconsin (Obama)
2) New Hampshire (Obama)
3) Iowa (Obama)

4) Nevada (Tossup)
5) Colorado (Romney)
6) Ohio (Romney)
7) Virginia (Romney)
8 ) Florida (Romney)
9) North Carolina (Romney)

My guesses are based largely on the CU professors' economic model, the results of the last 3 elections, and some good old-fashioned guess work.  Come to think of it, I'm not all that satisfied with my own list.  Let me go into some more detail:

1) Wisconsin has been close in 2000 and 2004, but it went Democratic all three times.  The CU guys call it for Romney, but I'm gonna give precedence to previous election results.  I'm not particularly confident about this one, though.
2) New Hampshire went Republican in 2000.  Again, this is based on past results.  The CU guys give this to Romney, but I'm not so sure.  
3) Iowa went Republican in 2004, but I'm gonna give this one to the Democrats.  The CU guys also say so.  
4) Nevada went GOP in 2000 and 2004, so I'd say Romney has a good chance here.  I consider this the absolute, narrowest-margin tossup.  
5) Colorado went Republican in two of the last three elections.  This is the first state I give to Romney, with reasonable certainty.  
6) Ohio, the quintessential swing state.  One thing that caught my attention was the news that the coal miners' union was going to sit out the election (I wanna say it was United Mine Workers, but I'm not sure).  Obama's energy policy has not been friendly to the coal industry, and that's likely to hurt him in the Appalachian states.  
7) Virginia: we're getting into the South now.  The polls seem to lean toward Obama, but I'm willing to bet the Old Dominion goes with the GOP, based on past results and weak economic data.
8 ) Florida is considered a tossup, but I'm gonna say Romney will win by a fairly comfortable margin on Election Day.  
9) North Carolina is the one state Obama won by the narrowest margin in 2008, and I predict a fairly comfortable Republican victory here.  

Prediction: Romney will sweep the South, and will most likely prevail in Ohio.  Beyond that it's a tossup, leaning Romney.  
Tidus
Rookie
Germany
Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -1.00

P
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »

1.) Nevada - Obama 53 - 45
2.) New Hampshire  - Obama 52 - 45
3.) Colorado  - Obama 51 - 47
4.) Ohio - Obama 51 - 48
5.) Wisconsin - Obama 51 - 48
6.) Virginia - Obama 50 - 48
7.) Florida - Obama 50 - 49
8.) Iowa  - Obama 50 - 49
9.) North Carolina - Romney 50 - 48
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »

The only objection I have to the majority of posts in this thread is the assumption that Florida is so Romney-leaning.  We had a long series of polls suggesting that, but what has happened chronologically is this in my view:

1. First Iowa began to drift R
2. Then, with Ryan and then the convention, Wisconsin moved R strongly, followed to a lesser degree by Michigan, Virginia, Colorado, and Ohio.
3.  BUT - during this major shift, Florida polls moved from slight Romney to tied and most recently to a slight Obama lead

What I'm getting at is that precisely during Romney's best couple of weeks - his Ryan/convention bump, Florida is the one state that bucked the rising trend.  To me this is significant, particularly since the convention was actually in Florida.

I think Obama will lose Wisconsin and Iowa, while Colorado, Virginia, and Ohio are seriously in doubt (even Michigan will be uncomfortably close), but I believe he will eke out a very narrow win in Florida.

Hence:

Lean Obama
correction - Michigan
1 Nevada
2 New Hampshire
3 Virginia
4 Ohio
5 Colorado
6 Florida
7 Iowa
8 Wisconsin
9 North Carolina