1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:57:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1940: Garner (D) vs Lindbergh (R) vs Willkie (I)  (Read 1479 times)
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« on: May 29, 2016, 03:57:53 AM »

Basically this is inspired by an idea that's been bouncing around my noggin and I was curious to see some discussion about this possible election scenario.

FDR decides to not run for a third term, opting to support Cordell Hull at first for the nomination. Instead of a speedy nomination, the convention becomes a fight between numerous candidates (Cordell Hull, John Garner, James Farley, Paul McNutt, Harry Hopkins, Millard Tydings, etc). When the dust settles, Vice President Garner wins the nomination.

The Republicans nominate famed aviator and noted isolationist Charles Lindbergh as their nominee.

With both the Democratic & Republican parties electing to nominate isolationists as their nominees, Wendell Willkie decides to mount an independent campaign based on internationalism and his relative support for the New Deal programs.

VEEP's, if you wish to include them, are up to your decision.

So from this scenario, how do things turn out?
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

I have no idea, what Lindbergh's home state was at that time. I thought maybe NY?
I believe his home state was Minnesota if I remember correctly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies