Australia General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 10:43:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion  (Read 257251 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »

"And for Abbott to yet crack 50% PPM in ANY poll"

indeed. I expect him to barely creep over in newspoll, but his election was never an endorsement of Abbott nearly as much as a rejection of Labor.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 04:40:09 AM »

Abbott will never have a better poll than this one.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »

You really only have one note, and while I have no automatic problem with that note, after hearing it without variation 568 times I'm finally putting you on ignore. Largely because the way you play the note is designed to cause a reaction, and I don't want to react to you.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »

Indeed. Particularly after everything that happened with Rudd and Gillard, the Liberals would need to be in catastrophic poo to turf Abbott.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2013, 02:37:34 AM »

Terri Butler has won the preselection.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »

Inevitable. Better than it being Howard, for sure. Codgrove isn't as godlike as some claim, but he is a good man and will perform the role admirably.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »

The ALP can win in SA, but Tasmania would require an act of God (not joking here. If there was a major natural disaster, AND Giddings responded to it perfectly, it would be the only way Labor could scrape a victory.)

I actually kind of think that Labor ultimately WILL win in SA. Based on nothing but gut.

----------

The ABC is, as is entirely appropriate for the national broadcaster, biased against the government. But it's biased against EVERY government. If Abbott happens to spew more bullsh**t than Rudd (hard to imagine, but true) he'll get more negative coverage through ABC radio, tv etc.

The ABC is the *last* news organisation in Australia that should support the government of the day on anything. It needs to be the most cynical, most piercing, and most suspicious of government plans of all media outlets, or else there is no point having an independent national broadcaster.

There is a bias in it's viewership, towards the left, but this is largely because the left in Australia is slightly more likely to be interested in the Art and Culture shows that the ABC presents, is significantly more likely to be highly educated, and more interested in the in depth analytical news offerings of the ABC, and by and large, the ABC doesn't engage in right wing fearmongering unlike other media outlets.

The ABC does have some limitations that make me cringe with their assosiation with the left, though. Because it is the national broadcaster and has a responisibilty to always lean towards the inclusive, the ABC's discussion about immigration issues is always skewed towards the left. I happen to agree with the views more or less, but having shows like 'dumb, drunk and racist' does nothing to help anyone, on any side. But there are crummy shows like that that encourage inclusivity, as the ABC is required to do, but never anything that discusses valid, non-reactionary concerns bout immigration and asylum seeking.

Plenty of other examples, that's just the most overt. of course, it's hard to criticise the ABC too much for being clearly on the left on that issue when the way the right frames their arguments - that could actually be good and calm, reasonable and right ones - is so overwhelmingly underwhelming when they try to be positive, but is almost always negative, fear-focused populist-bordering-on-racist crap.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

Abbott want to reject asylum claims on the basis of swearing. Which is just about as Australian an action as it is possible to perform.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10606381/Tony-Abbott-threatens-to-deport-asylum-seekers-who-swear.html

Like, we knew we were electing a prick, but FFS.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:07 AM »

I think they're trying to do every horrible thing possible this week:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbot-point-dredging-dumping-permitted-within-great-barrier-reef-waters-20140131-31rxn.html
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2014, 02:52:12 AM »

Bad day for fires back home. Three parts of my family have evacuated, another is preparing to do so, should things get messier. They're in between Benalla and Yarrawonga so no major concern just yet, but definitely not a comfortable position either cos there's only one road in and out. Largely farmland at least.

Others all down in Gippsland - one more a case of being unable to get home from Inverloch due to closed roads, the other two both headed in to Traralgon for safety. One if the houses isn't at huge risk, but they have a young baby. The other is just on the other side of the ridge from an ongoing fire so the wind change has helped them, but still within a couple of kms of the fire front.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2014, 04:51:57 AM »

Fire about to hit the Tarra Bulga NP, which is at the southern tip of the valley my cousin lives in. Highly unlikely to get to his place overnight if at all, but definitely possible, and more possible than the fires on the other side of the hill, even though they're much closer.

All in all, it seems like most people - especially in that area, which was hit on Back Saturday, but throughout the state - are both more tolerant of road closures and more willing to leave their houses early than they were in 2009.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

Firstly, the fires: Fortunately, things are settling down compared to their peak, but still very serious. I hope that your mates will be OK.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you're able to engage on the car issue, but my thoughts...

I've been really conflicted about government support for car manufacturing for a long time, but watching Kim Carr and Bill Shorten right now, I'm convinced.

As it happens, I drive an Australian made car, and it was a factor in my choice. I fully intended to always drive Aussie made cars, because they're good cars, and good value, and good for our country, and therefore good for me.

The callousness of Abbott after Ford, Holden, and now Toyota have pulled out has been unsurprisingly disgusting. The issue is more complex than simply numbers on a piece of paper, and it seems only Labor gives a sh**t - and they genuinely give a sh**t. They're not playing politics, they're furious, they're passionate, and they're advocating for the people who need them. It's something that's too rare in politics.

---------------------------------

As an aside, I think the ALP is playing politics in one particularly potent way. The federal government is very light on Victorians in senior positions, and at this press conference, it's a wall of Victorians. The new newspoll is out, with The Australian (kind of ridiculously) making the story about Shorten losing support in terms of job approval numbers. The real story is that the Coalition has managed to already become an unpopular government, and that Abbott is unequivocally an unpopular PM.

Another quick thing that is a bit eye opening. In the Griffith by-election, almost all the ALP campaign material had a picture of Abbott on it, and almost none of the LNP's did.

The Libs can't turf Abbott after the stink they made about the ousting of KRudd, but they also won't ever be a popular government with him as leader.

Lastly, I am curious about how the coalition can possibly justify their reaction to the SPC issue. I'm not a huge fan of Stone, but I do admit that she's gained some respect for me for being prepared to stand up for her electorate. I'm waiting for Napthine to absolutely rip the throat out of the federal government, but it won't happen... but quite frankly, if he wants to win the election later in the year, his best bet (and the Victorian coalition in general) is to clearly differentiate their 'brand' from Abbott and co.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2014, 06:03:03 AM »

Yeah, I can't talk about much of that, but especially not the automotive manufacturing side of things, as you understand.

Cheers for my mates, they'll be right: well trained, well drilled; conditions today don't seem too bad from what I can tell (not much wind from what I can see, but I'm at my desk, a couple of hundred km from them). Your cousins in the CFA, how are they doing? Thoughts and prayers for your family up country.

Hen has left the CFA for this summer because of the baby. I think he intends on returning during the year ahead. I haven't heard anything about Rob and Lize in regards to CFA work, although I suspect Lize was involved. She does radio operation I think. If she was in any danger, I'd've heard about it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2014, 06:54:40 AM »

Looks like Gillard has her next steps set out:

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2014/02/gillard-champion-global-education?utm_source=Pro+Bono+Australia+-+email+updates&utm_campaign=57f656a985-news_11_22_11_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5ee68172fb-57f656a985-146723490
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »

I can't believe Daniel Andrews is going to be the Victorian Premier. Ugh.

The Libs don't deserve to be re-elected, but neither does Labor, especially under Andrews. I don't know how I plan to vote yet, I think it comes down to the Liberals to be honest. If they get their sh**t together, they get my vote. Not holding my breath for that to happen, though, if the Metro Rail project and the Hazelwood response is any indication.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »

The way he's politicised the Morwell situation is a recent issue, but in short, he's an ideological hack.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:28 AM »

I wanna be a Sir one day.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »

While there's more to this than meets the eye, what meets the eye is pretty damn awful:

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

...and I hate Daniel Andrews.

Vic budget is as cynical election yearish as they get, but that's no different from any state government of any colour anywhere.

The budget doesn't make me get any closer to voting for them, but Daniel Andrews being an absolute sh**t of a human being in the media since it definitely does Labor no favours.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »

Making stupid images in not confined to Unions, the Liberal Party is pretty good at it too:

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »

No time to elaborate, but Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters makes excellent recommendations regarding Senate voting: Optional Preferential, including for Above-the-Line voting. See Antony Green's blog for details.

Excellent is one reaction Tongue

In a proportional system, preferences should be exhausted just as much as in a single member constituency I reckon.

My own preference for change is to fill out every box above or every box below, although it would significantly raise spoiled ballots in the short term.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »

Yay, universal healthcare is dead. How many young libs are rubbing one out right now at that?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2014, 06:04:09 AM »

Stolen from a friend on facebook:

"So, who are the winners and losers in this budget?

Winners: Um... well, maybe medical researchers, at least those who aren't part of the CSIRO?

Losers: Everyone, but particularly anyone under 30, anyone over 46, anyone with children, anyone who occasionally gets sick, anyone who is chronically ill, anyone in rural and regional Australia, anyone overseas, anyone who accesses the ABC in Australia or abroad, anyone who genuinely requires the pension to live, anyone who works in the Public service, anyone who benefits from the public service, anyone earning a 'higher' wage of $80,000 or more (unless they have a baby), anyone who wants to get a tertiary qualification, anyone who is of an indigenous or immigrant background, anyone who seeks asylum in Australia from repression and peril, anyone who lives in any local council in Australia, and, to share the pain, members of parliament whose pay is frozen (not by the government itself, though).

Which would be vaguely defensible if we had a bloated budget and an economy in crisis, but we simply do not have either. Surpluses are a good thing, sure, but is it worth it in this circumstance? Not even close."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »

I've decided I'm joining the ALP. They're useless, and I treasure my independence, but quite frankly I *have* to do something to ease my feeling of being entirely powerless in the face of this truly unbelievably bad government.

I'm not a lover of Labor at any level, and there are plenty of reasons not to join them, but quite frankly Tony Abbott and company are breaking my country and while I doubt Labor is actually a fix for anything I really can't think of any way I can engage without doing so.

Amusingly enough, I'm pretty much set on not voting for Labor in the state election, and I certainly won't be campaigning for them after joining up, but even though I personally think that state politics is at least as important as federal politics, the crumminess of the state ALP is absolutely nothing compared to the horror that is the federal coalition.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »

I've yet to see anyone but the Gerald Sun attempting to defend it, and even they didn't try too hard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies