Trump administration: We can fire someone just for being transgender
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:09:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump administration: We can fire someone just for being transgender
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump administration: We can fire someone just for being transgender  (Read 1311 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »

A smarter thing to do would be to not hire them in the first place.

What bearing does one’s sexuality or identity have on how well they perform most occupations?

In this case, it is a funeral home.

Trans people are at different stages of transitioning.   There are trans women who have had surgeries and have had hormonal treatments that clearly appear female, and, from a business point of view, it would be prudent to want such a person to dress as a female.  But what about the trans woman who has had none of this and is female only by self-identification?  Why is a funeral home unreasonable in expecting that person to dress in male attire?

A funeral home is a place where people come to during extreme grief.  There is an expectation on the part of clients that people be entirely professional, and that they maintain a standard professional business appearance.  This is for the well-being of the clients, all of whom are usually distraught at the time they arrange a funeral.  How would ordinary grieving people view a funeral home employee who has a clear male appearance dealing with them in obviously female clothing?  Is it really discrimination to require an employee to adhere to a dress code?  (That's what THIS case is really about when one boils it all down.)

I am grateful that I do not suffer from gender dysphoria.  I don't pretend to fully understand this, and where this condition comes from.  I don't wish to drive people from viable employment, except for just cause.  But is this situation ALL about the trans woman (who is a biological male) and nothing at all about the business owner and his ability to conduct business?

I don't know what you think transgender people are like but a MTF person is not going to be wearing a beard and hairy arms and a buzz cut while dressing in a skirt and high heels. A MTF person is by and large just going to look like a woman who might be on the tall side and have an unusually prominent jaw/brows. By your logic, a woman who just happens to look kind of "mannish" (as some women do) shouldn't be hired either.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:54 PM »

What bearing does one’s sexuality or identity have on how well they perform most occupations?

Trans people are at different stages of transitioning.   There are trans women who have had surgeries and have had hormonal treatments that clearly appear female, and, from a business point of view, it would be prudent to want such a person to dress as a female.  But what about the trans woman who has had none of this and is female only by self-identification?  Why is a funeral home unreasonable in expecting that person to dress in male attire?

A funeral home is a place where people come to during extreme grief.  There is an expectation on the part of clients that people be entirely professional, and that they maintain a standard professional business appearance.  This is for the well-being of the clients, all of whom are usually distraught at the time they arrange a funeral.  How would ordinary grieving people view a funeral home employee who has a clear male appearance dealing with them in obviously female clothing?  Is it really discrimination to require an employee to adhere to a dress code?  (That's what THIS case is really about when one boils it all down.)

I am grateful that I do not suffer from gender dysphoria.  I don't pretend to fully understand this, and where this condition comes from.  I don't wish to drive people from viable employment, except for just cause.  But is this situation ALL about the trans woman (who is a biological male) and nothing at all about the business owner and his ability to conduct business?

I don't know what you think transgender people are like but a MTF person is not going to be wearing a beard and hairy arms and a buzz cut while dressing in a skirt and high heels. A MTF person is by and large just going to look like a woman who might be on the tall side and have an unusually prominent jaw/brows. By your logic, a woman who just happens to look kind of "mannish" (as some women do) shouldn't be hired either.

As to your last line, that happens all the time in all sorts of occupations.  Fair or unfair, that's the way it is.  Being handsome/pretty/flat out good looking is a real advantage in the real world.  It just is, fairly or unfairly.

I don't know, from the article, what this person looked like.  I do think that the employer has the right to impose a dress code, and the code for this situation ought to imply reasonableness. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »

As to your last line, that happens all the time in all sorts of occupations.  Fair or unfair, that's the way it is.  Being handsome/pretty/flat out good looking is a real advantage in the real world.  It just is, fairly or unfairly.

I don't know, from the article, what this person looked like.  I do think that the employer has the right to impose a dress code, and the code for this situation ought to imply reasonableness. 
That is justified how exactly, because you just so happened to be born into the right clique in an organization? That you think the “ugly people” should be out of sight, mind, and thus existence?

If the situation is unfair, of which you managed to acknowledge that at least some may feel that way, it’s best to be on the right side and treat it. Either your lazy or, as crazy as it may sound, you might actually benefit in the current structural abuse in its entirety.

Also, I would totally think that the attire worn by the individual below would be rad to see at my bland desk job, adds some color and individuality into the workplace.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »

If we needed anymore more proof that Trump is a homophobe, here it is
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 10:47:39 PM »

That is justified how exactly, because you just so happened to be born into the right clique in an organization? That you think the “ugly people” should be out of sight, mind, and thus existence?

If the situation is unfair, of which you managed to acknowledge that at least some may feel that way, it’s best to be on the right side and treat it. Either your lazy or, as crazy as it may sound, you might actually benefit in the current structural abuse in its entirety.

Also, I would totally think that the attire worn by the individual below would be rad to see at my bland desk job, adds some color and individuality into the workplace.

I've been overweight for much of my adult life, and I've had some facial scarring from cystic acne.  I'm not saying the emphasis on appearance is always right, but it is a very real thing.

There are lots of things that I would think "cool" that my employer would not agree to.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »

We're talking about a funeral home, not a strip club or a modeling studio.

When I go to a funeral, I really couldn't care less about the funeral home employees or what they look like or are wearing beyond them not wearing a bikini or a furry suit or something. I'm focused on comforting my family and friends and processing the loss of the deceased.

You're reading way too far into how much this actually matters to normal people.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 12:00:02 AM »

Love those Executive Orders (sarcasm).
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 02:29:22 AM »

I believe this just applies to private businesses though. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2019, 02:16:16 PM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

You mean a transphobe?
,even then its not necessarily trans phobic to believe that one can be fired, I believe you can be fired for almost anything so I support this but I don't like anyone that would fire a trans person for being trans.
Higgins
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »

Generalization. That depends on how far along in the transition process one is. You could actually literally have a big dude with a beard and relatively short hair - since it hasn't grown out yet - wearing a dress. A family in grief doesn't need that distraction. Every job has certain expectations of appearance and attire.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

This rule also will allow employers to fire single mothers or Jews.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/new-trump-admin-rule-would-let-religious-employers-fire-lgbt-jewish-employees-1.7694340
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »

But he briefly mentioned the LGBTQ+ community in his nomination speech and wants to protect the community from those evil Moslems! What's more supportive than that!?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »

Generalization. That depends on how far along in the transition process one is. You could actually literally have a big dude with a beard and relatively short hair - since it hasn't grown out yet - wearing a dress. A family in grief doesn't need that distraction. Every job has certain expectations of appearance and attire.

The assumption that a family in grief is going to be comforted by excluding trans people is flat bonkers. Why should you assume that grief makes every family into reactionary transphobes?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure anybody fired for being transgender would have a solid ground in suing the administration on the basis of unlawful job termination and discrimination.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies