Noah's Ark (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:10:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Noah's Ark (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Noah's Ark  (Read 10698 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: December 05, 2005, 07:36:19 PM »

Jesus was once asked why he used parables in his teachings. He said because its easier for the people to understand and remember the lessons that way. IMHO the story of the flood is such a parable.
Perhaps, but the ark sitting on mount Ararat is a rather inconvenient piece of proof that needs to be explained away.  How would you do that?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but has one actually been found there? I just did a check on this and while some people have claimed to have seen a 'boat-like' object, but no real proof of it has been found as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah%27s_ark#Modern_searches
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:51:26 PM »

Jesus was once asked why he used parables in his teachings. He said because its easier for the people to understand and remember the lessons that way. IMHO the story of the flood is such a parable.
Perhaps, but the ark sitting on mount Ararat is a rather inconvenient piece of proof that needs to be explained away.  How would you do that?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but has one actually been found there? I just did a check on this and while some people have claimed to have a 'boat-like' object, but no real proof of it has been found as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah%27s_ark#Modern_searches
OK.  You're going to have to do better than citing someone's opinion.  While I haven't visited the ark myself, I've seen video footage, and if you talk to the locals in the area, they will tell you about the great boat up there.  There is also an altar, and several large anchors.  Do I have proof?  Nothing more than books that I've read and some video footage.  Will I eventually go up there?  Yes.

Maybe Google Earth will show it to us.  I know the Russians knew about it and wanted to explore it in the Soviet Era.

Mind linking your video footage? All I've found is this satellite photo that sparked the attempt at an expedition in 2004. (Frankly, I don't really see that as an ark, but what do I know?)

And Richius, while I know Wikipedia isn't a definitive source and may contain opinion at times, "the books I've read" are not exactly a credible source.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:12:48 PM »

And no, I don't buy into all the bloody conspiracy theories websites that may cover Noah's ark.  I believe solid scientific evidence is required if I'm going to make a factual statement.  And right now I'm making such a statement: there is a huge bloody boat up on Mount Ararat.

Then give me a credible source. Even the majority of the Christian sites I'm reading on the subject aren't claiming the ark has been found on Ararat, only that it is speculated.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:27:29 PM »

You could also produce just as much data showing that Jesus' resurrection was impossible.

"For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. " (1Cor 1:21)

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand that God's intention was to make the message of salvation "foolish" to unbelievers.

So in other words, your God likes irrational people who switch off their brains. There's no evidence of a global scale flood, it's pretty much impossible to put two of every land-dwelling species and enough food to feed them for the 40 days and nights plus the time it took for things to dry out on a boat of the size specified, along with the various other problems this scenario imposes - yet your God expects us to put all the reasoning power that he gave us to waste and simply take what some book says as fact even though known facts contradict what the book says. Yeah, that's some God you've got there, real wise guy alright.

I find this philosophy to be a far better one:

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies