An Amendments Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  An Amendments Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the amendment process, laid out in Article V of the Constitution, in need of reform?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: An Amendments Amendment  (Read 6104 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: July 19, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »

Not a good idea in my opinion, the Founding Fathers knew how hard it would be to amend the constitution, and that was the point
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »

Not a good idea in my opinion, the Founding Fathers knew how hard it would be to amend the constitution, and that was the point

No offense DWTL....but I'm starting to really hate any explanations that use supposed "Founding Father" wisdom or intent as the main line of argument.

I don't care, and I don't think it should matter what exactly the founding fathers thought. Of course...when the constitution was drafted, they made the right decisions and everything....but look people, it's more than 200 years later. Laws written today should reflect current issues and problems...NOT what a group of men 200 years ago thought would be best.
My point is that the Founding Fathers had a good idea that I agree with, not as much that it is what the Founding Fathers said so it must be.  The idea of changing the constitution, something much, much more powerful than a law cannot be something that is just flaunted around.  It has to be really, really uber-popular and necessary.  If we made amendments easier, a slew of them would pop up dealing with things that shouldn't have constitutional amendments involved at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies