Ashley Judd might run against McConnell in 2014 KY Senate race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:01:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ashley Judd might run against McConnell in 2014 KY Senate race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ashley Judd might run against McConnell in 2014 KY Senate race  (Read 4062 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

It isn't as though Former State Representative Dick D. Whoever III of Paducah would do any worse, so (to join the chorus), why ever not?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »

one thing i would say is that while I don't necessarily oppose her running; Bennet (or whoever the DSCC chair is by then) should let her know that she's on her own.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

He said Pryor, not Begich.

But anyway yeah McConnell isn't as vulnerable as those numbers would show and he almost certainly wins here. But Judd isn't the type of sleazy Hollywood type who's always in legal trouble or adultery, and most of her activism is standard non-partisan humanitarian stuff. No she's probably not going to win, but if no prominent Democrats run why not have her?

Yikes. Not sure why I read that as Begich. My point stands though aside from the point about a nailbiter victory.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

The hits on Judd begin: Rand said he thought Judd lived in Scotland and "was running for Parliament" when he heard the news.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »

The hits on Judd begin: Rand said he thought Judd lived in Scotland and "was running for Parliament" when he heard the news.

That's actually remarkably witty for Rand.

McConnell has underperformed before, but he SHOULD be safe---ish for a midterm race with Obama in the White House.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »

But anyway yeah McConnell isn't as vulnerable as those numbers would show and he almost certainly wins here. But Judd isn't the type of sleazy Hollywood type who's always in legal trouble or adultery, and most of her activism is standard non-partisan humanitarian stuff. No she's probably not going to win, but if no prominent Democrats run why not have her?

She might be a legitimate drag on the ticket by the time McConnell is through with her.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »

This might be plausible in California, but certainly not Kentucky. She would get absolutely destroyed by McConnell, even in a good Democratic environment. I shudder to think what he would do to her in a GOP-friendly climate, which is more likely to happen.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »

Please do. This whole "McConnell is vulnerable" talk is getting tiring. I'd love to put it to rest.

His approval rating is 35%. If that isn't vulnerable, I'm not quite sure what is.

Seriously. In comparison, Mark Pryor's rating is 53%, but every post I've seen has said his seat's up for grabs
Ahh, but the difference here is the states political make-up - both are very conservative states.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »

If I were her, I would seriously consider running in California, perhaps for Governor instead of Senator. If she's really liberal and got elected to the Senate from Kentucky, it's not like she would actually be able to do much, anyway. She'd have to moderate her positions to reflect Kentucky. Her chances of winning the California gubernatorial (D) primary are probably just as good as unseating McConnell. And the rewards would be so much greater.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »

Why not?  Its not like we were boasting of our chances to win Kentucky anyway.   
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »

She might be a legitimate drag on the ticket by the time McConnell is through with her.

On who else on the ticket in Kentucky? Yarmuth would be fine in his liberal district.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »

Please do. This whole "McConnell is vulnerable" talk is getting tiring. I'd love to put it to rest.

His approval rating is 35%. If that isn't vulnerable, I'm not quite sure what is.

Seriously. In comparison, Mark Pryor's rating is 53%, but every post I've seen has said his seat's up for grabs
Ahh, but the difference here is the states political make-up - both are very conservative states.

but isn't Pryor a very conservative democrat?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

but isn't Pryor a very conservative democrat?

More conservative, but he'll be fine.  The Pryor name is gold in Arkansas; a Kentucky race won't matter.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »

I hope she doesn't run. She'd hurt downballot Dems in Kentucky, attract national headlines (many likely negative), drain resources from competitive seats, and get shellacked by 20+ points. It would be hugely emotionally draining and could negatively impact her career in entertainment.

She should stick to acting or whatever it is she does.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »

That's actually remarkably witty for Rand.

McConnell has underperformed before, but he SHOULD be safe---ish for a midterm race with Obama in the White House.

Expanding on that, it looks like I missed part of his statement: he claimed she'd "fit right in in the English Parliament" and that she's "damn too liberal" for Kentucky. Trying to European-ize Judd, I see. They aren't pulling any punches and it's not even 2013 yet!
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »

Running Judd here is like trying to run Hank Williams Jr for Mayor of Nashville. It's stupid.  (Obviously, different offices, but the point stands)

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

Are Kentuckians susceptible to acute xenophobia? Are they incapable of recognizing how much of a laughing stock it would make them to turn down Judd because she married a man not from America? Do they just not care?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »

Are Kentuckians susceptible to acute xenophobia? Are they incapable of recognizing how much of a laughing stock it would make them to turn down Judd because she married a man not from America? Do they just not care?

Have you not been following American politics since Obama took office?  Are you incapable of recognizing the many other reasons Judd would be a terrible disaster of a candidate at best?  Do you just like asking rhetorical questions?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »

On who else on the ticket in Kentucky? Yarmuth would be fine in his liberal district.

Whoever runs against Andy Barr, for starters.  Also this:

I hope she doesn't run. She'd hurt downballot Dems in Kentucky, attract national headlines (many likely negative), drain resources from competitive seats, and get shellacked by 20+ points. It would be hugely emotionally draining and could negatively impact her career in entertainment.

She should stick to acting or whatever it is she does.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies